Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

VW Camper to Porsche 911

SirCarlsworth

Hi all I'm some fresh meat for you. I'm 24 and from Sheffield and I've been in the aircooled VW scene since I was 16 and following a messy month of splitting with my ex-fiance I've decided to sell my current 1972 VW Camper and get my favourite model of Porsche 911 which I've learnt is the one manufactured from 1977-1983.

Whenever I see them at classic shows I find myself drooling over them for some time, and what with restoring my Camper with my ex and going on holidays in it I feel it is time to sell it and move on...

I've seen a few on Ebay, but like when newbies come onto the VW forums we always have tips when looking and what to avoid. If you put two Beetles in front of me I can tell you which is probably the best bet, but with 911's I'm clueless!

Likewise, if anyone is interested in moving onto the VW scene my Camper was restored in 2007 and is a real eye catcher in the colour especially.

Any help will be muchly appreciated :thumbs:

Here's a pic of my Camper...
Carl. Sheffield.

P5240789.jpg

Also try cross posting to the PCGB forums - they have a lot of experts on the older cars that don't seem to show up here. Good luck with the switch though :thumb:

welcome mate im a newbie whos just made the crossover from vduds to porsche.carnt realy help you ,as i dont no that much myself.just do your homework on the model you want (best years or not).for me buy the best you can afford .ask on here on what youve seen and take someone with you who nos your model inside out.i didnt no that much but new what i wanted and just waited till the right one came up (hopefully).as for the ex dont no realy at this time what was gonna cost you more in the long run, her or the car.dont think i will be able to keep both :D as she keeps saying .You love that car more than me. GOOD LUCK . ive still got my camper but had to sell my bettle to help get the porsche,which broke my heart but it was worth it .

Attachments

• img_1265_small_3_445.jpg
    img_1265_small_3_445.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 5,041
  • img_1317_small_420.jpg
    img_1317_small_420.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 5,041
  • img_2078_small_111.jpg
    img_2078_small_111.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 5,041
elee said:
welcome mate im a newbie whos just made the crossover from vduds to porshe.carnt realy help you ,as i dont no that much myself.just do your homework on the model you want (best years or not).for me buy the best you can afford .ask on here on what youve seen and take someone with you who nos your model inside out.i didnt no that much but new what i wanted and just waited till the right one came up (hopefully).as for the ex dont no realy at this time what was gonna cost you more in the long run, her or the car.dont think i will be able to keep both :D as she keeps saying .You love that car more than me. GOOD LUCK . ive still got my camper but had to sell my bettle to help get the porche,which broke my heart but it was worth it .

Is this a genuine post :?:

You have managed to spell Porsche incorrectly TWICE - porshe and porche - you even managed to spell Beetle incorrectly. I won't bother with the rest of the mistakes as life is to short and my sanity is precious - to me a least.

Anyway - to the OP, I agree that PCGB might be worth a look as they have specific sections (Registers) for the older models rather than simply pre-89 or whatever.

The camper looks very nice too :thumb:

:welcome: to 911uk :bye:

Unfortunately I'm no expert on the 911 your after either but but know that 1977-1983 would be the 911 3.0 SC, 204bhp if IIRC.

My cousin had an SC as his 1st Porsche and it was a great car. He owned it for 3 years & it ran to Lemans 3 consecutive years absolutely faultlessly
:worship:

He has since changed to the later 964

I would say a very pure 911 the SC
Any reason you are targeting the SC specifically as I believe the slightly later 3.2 Carrera has significant Engine & gearbox improvements over the SC

Anyway, good luck with your search & stick around here (even if you do also post on PCGB :grin: )
911uk is a great place for info & there are lots of helpful people on here too.

Remember to post pics once you have found her.

Last thing, it's been said already but very nice Camper you have there 8)

Bubbles said:
elee said:
welcome mate im a newbie whos just made the crossover from vduds to porshe.carnt realy help you ,as i dont no that much myself.just do your homework on the model you want (best years or not).for me buy the best you can afford .ask on here on what youve seen and take someone with you who nos your model inside out.i didnt no that much but new what i wanted and just waited till the right one came up (hopefully).as for the ex dont no realy at this time what was gonna cost you more in the long run, her or the car.dont think i will be able to keep both :D as she keeps saying .You love that car more than me. GOOD LUCK . ive still got my camper but had to sell my bettle to help get the porche,which broke my heart but it was worth it .

Is this a genuine post :?:

You have managed to spell Porsche incorrectly TWICE - porshe and porche - you even managed to spell Beetle incorrectly. I won't bother with the rest of the mistakes as life is to short and my sanity is precious - to me a least.

Anyway - to the OP, I agree that PCGB might be worth a look as they have specific sections (Registers) for the older models rather than simply pre-89 or whatever.

The camper looks very nice too :thumb:

Bit harsh! :nooo:
Lucky yours is perfect :floor:

Disco and Bubbles I will take a look on PCGB too thanks :)

Thanks for the warm welcome elee! Cool dubs too!

I'm actually looking at a 1984 Carrera at the moment adamw that looks very nice. It all depends what comes along in the best condition and for an affordable price, because whatever I get for the Camper plus maybe £1000 more is my budget. I will stick around and post pics when I find one too :)

Cheers for the comments on the Camper :thumb:

Hi

I've got a 1988 3.2 Targa and am really pleased with it. If you do buy one, I would suggest one with the G50 gearbox. Also, it's sensible getting a car of this age checked over by a Porsche garage prior to purchasing - it's worth the £100 or so.

Happy hunting.

:thumbs:

thanks lue 911

yeah i'm definately thinking of getting it checked out before i buy. what are the improvements with the gearbox in the later 3.2 models because a few of you have said that?? i've noticed that the SC's are a little bit cheaper, are the gearbox's more reliable or is it just gear ratios etc??

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back