Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

VarioRam what the differences and does it make for a better

Private Pike

Trainee
Drive ?

Been looking at purchasing a 993 for a fair few months and would pose the question doe VarioRam make a difference, prices certainly seem to go up with the later VarioRam engines and for future value it seems it help ?

Driving it seems to help mid range, the pick up seems more response under 4000rpm where as the non VarioRam seems to get a boost over 4500rpm and with that a bigger smile on my face

I've got a non VR and quite like the change in character over 4k. It does as you say put a smile on your face.
I would buy on condition and don't worry about VR or not.
And if it's cheaper then happy days :thumbs:

Non Vario with the close ratio box is miles of smiles on the twisty bits.....depends on your driving style and what you use the car for. Mine is a weekend fun car but if daily driver VR would probably be better :dont know:

Back in the day when I was looking (10 years ago) the VR was the more expensive option and supposedly the car to have. I test drove various cars with both engines ..... I found I preferred the early engined cars and so bought one of those.

What I will say is that if your driving short straights and twisty hairpins then imo the VR every time, it has more punch in the midrange (especially so if fitted with the earlier gearbox of the non VR engine) .... if you like ragging the car and want to feel the push at around 4K revs then buy the earlier engine...... I actually think the earlier engined cars are more fun.... More old skool 911.

Both engines are great though . :thumb:

My '94 started life as non VR of course. A few years ago I came across a complete VR manifold for sale. The rest of the car had gradually been modified to RS spec plus LWF, still 3.6.
I had a few stall problems but otherwise very pleased with the performance inc Steve Wong chip.
I'd already dropped the engine to attend to some oil leaks so I bit the bullet and bought the manifold, I had to buy a new ecu and do a bit of rewiring, but it was pretty straightforward with the help of a write up on Rennlist.
So i've got a back to back comparison.
Result: no more stalls with the LWF, massive increase in mid range with stunning acceleration and increase in flexibility. Car was subsequently remapped and gave 306 bhp.
I've had the car for nearly 20 yrs and it's been a joy in all guises.
Only real conclusion, don't fit a LWF to a non VR, non of the supposed fixes worked.
I wouldn't go back but given the choice VR or non VR it would depend on the colour I'm that superficial.

This was a hotly debated issue 17 years ago when I was looking to buy my 993. I drove several of each. Suffice to say they are different in their characteristics, however, both are an absolute hoot to drive.

The adage "buy on condition" is even more important now than it was 17 years ago. These cars are all 20+ years old now. The servicing, maintenance and refurbishment level will have greater bearing on your ownership experience than VR on nonVR.

Other hotly debated issues are C2 vs C4 and AC vs Non AC.

pp

Endoman said:
So i've got a back to back comparison.

Almost, apart from your non-Varioram car having shorter gear ratios which you retain on your Varioram conversion, thus arguably getting the best of both worlds.

With the standard Varioram gearing the torque benefits of the engine are blunted to some extent.

By now other factors such as the overall state of the engine and the car will be more of a consideration than V vs Non-V.

Endoman said:
I've had the car for nearly 20 yrs and it's been a joy in all guises.
Only real conclusion, don't fit a LWF to a non VR, non of the supposed fixes worked.
I wouldn't go back but given the choice VR or non VR it would depend on the colour I'm that superficial.

1993 one here with the LWF (installed in December last year).

Stalled once since then ..... whilst I was reversing out of the garage.

Works an absolute treat with no issues. 9M fitted it and they sent it for a remap at Wayne's for driveability for the lwf. Job done .

The issue is simply (I believe) the car needs to be put on a rolling road after it's fitted and the ecu altered to suit the lwf..... especially so on the earlier cars with their earlier ecu.

I have a 96 Vram and have also driven a friends Non Vram, didn't notice the difference, actually thought the Non Vram was a nice drive and it was a tip. However I'm not the greatest driver, more a Miss Daisey than Max Rocatanksy so not qualified to give an opinion performance wise

However I like the look of the Vram engine but it's probably quite bit heavier an d that much alloy mounted high on the engine must be an interesting point to discuss with the weight saving/flat 6 low profile gurus

Anyway very soon, the way things are heading, we'll all be pulling the engines out and putting electric motors in...............

Good luck with your prospective purchase

The earlier engines have a more natural-feeling power delivery whereas the varioram has a lot more punch in the mid range.

Both are great and I'm happy with my varioram car, I'd have been equally happy with the earlier engine.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back