Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Underbody rust protection

rob_p

Suzuka
Hi all,

Having recently found some rust in the rear wheelarch of my 997 it started me thinking about whether i need some more comprehensive treatment.

The car is coming up for 17 years old and i would like to keep it for some time yet so happy to invest in some preservation.

Following some searches on youtube the company below popped up - Rustbuster, based in Spalding.

The service loooks pretty good, theyremove all the plastics (trays and wheel arch liners, etc), clean everying up, treat the surfaces with rust converting products and then apply some kind of sealant plus inject all the cavities.

The works takes 1.5 days and i was quoted £600. Seems like decent value to me.

Does anyone have any experience of this or similar and any thoughts?
Any reasons why this is a bad idea?

Thanks in advance...

https://www.rust.co.uk/

That sounds interesting so going to follow this thread :thumb:

They've been around for years so that's a good sign.

Based on my experience with other classic cars (most over 40 years old) it's definitely worth doing even though the 996 should be better rustproofed from the factory anyway. Doesn't look like a bad price in view of the work it needs. The company has been around a while and advertises a lot in the classic car press and seem to have a good rep. If you fancy having a go yourself, Bilt Hamber is a good company to use - they have a product for pretty much every aspect of the process (internal and external, black or clear etc) and are rated highly.

See Here - https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/

I use their products and they work well as long as you keep an eye on things and top up every couple of years especially where the underbody gets hammered by stones and spray a lot. If you have a compressor (and access to a ramp ideally) its pretty straightforward to do yourself as long as you don't mind getting a bit "waxy" - its an ideal long lasting alternative to hair gel. For that price though it very much depends on if you would want to bother going down the DIY route unless you already have the gear - I have a few old heaps so pays me to DIY. The Porsche is due a look see and touch up where necessary just as soon as the MOT man has done - they aren't fans of fresh waxy underseal plastered everywhere when they are checking underneath.

Cheers...Ian

Had a couple of cars done at Rustbuster over the years and also used their products at home in the garage. Quality and service is second to none.

TurboRob said:
Had a couple of cars done at Rustbuster over the years and also used their products at home in the garage. Quality and service is second to none.

Sounds good. They are closed currently due to cv19 but I think I will book in once this is all over.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back