Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyres - when to change

Villa 76

Hi,

Firstly, apologies if this has been covered, I did do a search but nothing jumped out at me.

Checking my tyres today, all Michelin PS4S's and around 3mm at the lowest point. Looking at the date they are all 2012, so getting on a bit.

Just interested in some thoughts as to when to change. They all seem to be in good condition but due to age and low tread depth I'm thinking now might be the time. I have a trip up to Fort William planned at the end of the month (1000 miles all in), which is part of my thought process.

Thanks for any input.
Kev

With that age alone, it's best to get it changed

At 3mm the Tyre is 80 % worn .. Porsche recommend replacement at 3mm .. i believe that unlike the UK in Germany the lowest permissible limit is 3mm unlike our 1.6 .

The tyre will have significantly less grip when this worn .

Porsche also stipulate tyres should be changed at no more than 6 years old ..

The older the Tyre the more cracking you will have .. whilst this may not look like much on the car then trust me when removing these tires the cracks fully open up and you can see the cords .

Some makes do tend to crack at less than 6 years though .. i belive this is down to the amount of UV which deterioates rubber over time .. kept in a dark garage then there will be less of it ..

I cant say for sure but ive seen heavily cracked tyres at 4 years old which doesnt make sense as something is causeing this .

Anyways .. your tires are 8 years old and on the limits .. i would flag them as low and old and in need of replacement .

Personnaly i would change them before your trip as tyres at 3 mm wear down faster than when new .

I dumped in an image of repairable tread after a punture .. just for the hell of it !

Attachments

• tyre_1_152.jpg
    tyre_1_152.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 3,319
Michelin PS4S didn't exist in 2012.

I'd generally have replaced long before they reached 10 years old.

When my Michelin Supersports were at 3mm on the rears they broke traction when I pushed them in the bends and were soon replaced thereafter.

chowgar said:
When my Michelin Supersports were at 3mm on the rears they broke traction when I pushed them in the bends and were soon replaced thereafter.

Bet that was an 'interesting" moment!
What did you replace them with? Looking around this morning there are PS4S and PS2 from Michelin.

I replaced all four corners with MPS4's and they are the best I've ever had on the car.

I'd say 10 years is the absolute limit, and irrespective of any leftover tread, you can usually feel when tyres have 'gone off' and simply need replacement.

I've got a set of Continental Sport Contact 5s for another car, with just a bit over 1.6mm of tread left (across the whole tread), but they felt awful when I removed them last autumn, and they were frankly treacherous in the wet.

It's time for some nice MPS 4S. Excellent tyres.

MPS4S rears don't seem to be that widely in stock at 295 width. Any go to suppliers?

The law was recently changed to incorporate a ten year limit on tyres fitted to certain axles on commercial vehicles, coach & minibus etc.

No law yet on car tyres but ten years is certainly pushing the absolute limit of what is safe, not worth the risk :thumb:

tom_nieto said:
MPS4S rears don't seem to be that widely in stock at 295 width. Any go to suppliers?

Try Asda tyres. Good selection of tyres incl N rated. The prices are lower when compared to other sites even when taking account cashback (Quidco) and multiple tyre discount offers. I selected a local Protyre fitter. Price through ASDA was lower than going directly to the fitter or via the Protyre

993bpt said:
tom_nieto said:

Try Asda tyres. Good selection of tyres incl N rated. The prices are lower when compared to other sites even when taking account cashback (Quidco) and multiple tyre discount offers. I selected a local Protyre fitter. Price through ASDA was lower than going directly to the fitter or via the Protyre

Thanks for this. Doesn't look like they've got 295 width MPS4S in stock sadly.

Brilliant, thank you! I think £100 extra on the rears is probably worth the price over the P Zero's from the reviews I've read. I've not found the Pirelli's particularly bad in all fairness.

The Winrun 330's might be interesting :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back