Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyres no rim protector.

wilpert

Indianapolis
Apologies in advance, it's a mundane question.

My front tyres, plenty of tread Pirelli p zeros with rim protectors.
My rear tyres, not a great deal of tread circa 5mm but legal of course. Pirelli o zero NO rim protectors.

So based on usual tyre wear, the car has covered 25k
It seems the fronts have been replaced within the last 5k miles or so
Would those rears be the originals with that mileage on them and why would front wear faster than the rears?

Did the 991.1 turbo s come with p zeros without a rim protector?

I'll be changing them in a couple of months but would be good to know what's happened here?

Hi, my 991.1 C2S ran on Pirelli's and it was exactly the same - good rim protector on the front but none on the back, so I'm assuming that this is normal.

You can see the year of manufacture on the tyres.
The replacement could have been for a puncture or similar not necessarily just wear.

Longp2 said:
Hi, my 991.1 C2S ran on Pirelli's and it was exactly the same - good rim protector on the front but none on the back, so I'm assuming that this is normal.

Surprising that but it explains things.
Mill be replacing my rears soon so I'm thinking I'll get the same Pirelli's but with a rim protector.
Assume that's an option with them :?:

I'd be very surprised if the rears were the original tyres, especially if they've still got 5mm left.

From my experience in 996 and 997 Turbos after 25k miles they're quite likely to be the third set unless the car has done a lot of motorway cruising.

If the fronts were changed 5k miles ago that's almost certainly the second set.

Longp2 said:

Same here, no protector on the rear with Pirellis, which always seemed odd :?:

spongebob squarepants said:
Longp2 said:

Willing to be corrected but no rear tyre protector is standard for Pirellis up to 991. Protectors on both front and rear for 992.

pzero said:
spongebob squarepants said:
Longp2 said:

Willing to be corrected but no rear tyre protector is standard for Pirellis up to 991. Protectors on both front and rear for 992.

No rim protector on the rears, this is normal on the 991. I don't believe you can change this if you stick with Pirelli's.

You can easily check the manufacture date code on your tyres, it is a 4 digit DOT code i.e. 4011 = Week 40 2011

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shofwan_khilmi
Back