Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Track control arms adjustable?

ballast

Hi all

I've got a 2003 996 C2 convertible, I need to replace the front track control arms and understand that there are both adjustable and non-adjustable. How do I know which I've got? It was in for an MOT at Porsche on Friday (who failed it on the n/s track control arm) and they said it was adjustable, but I'm not convinced; why would it have adjustable on a standard C2? How can I identify which it is?

Many thanks

Chris

The adjustable coffin arms fitted to a GT3 come in 2 Half's with shims between to give the adjustment in camber. The usual arms fitted to other cars are a single casting piece.

OK, thanks for your reply, so you'd be able to tell visually from looking underneath? I'm fairly confident that it's a single casting. It confirms that I should never believe what main dealers (generally of any brand) tell me. The guy who called me was adamant that they were adjustable. I'm assuming these wouldn't have been fitted as standard on a C2?

One further query, if I replace the 'coffin' arm, do I need to get four wheel alignment done?

Thanks

Chris

Stock look

996-997-oem-control-arm.jpg

GT3 style
996_Lower_Control_Arms_002.jpg

Camber is adjustable on the stock arms via an offset bolt at the fixing point to the chassis, so technically, they are 'adjustable".

ballast said:
Hi all

I've got a 2003 996 C2 convertible, I need to replace the front track control arms and understand that there are both adjustable and non-adjustable. How do I know which I've got? It was in for an MOT at Porsche on Friday (who failed it on the n/s track control arm) and they said it was adjustable, but I'm not convinced; why would it have adjustable on a standard C2? How can I identify which it is?

Many thanks

Chris

I think by 'track control arms" your Porsche man means track rod end. This is the end of the steering arm. These are adjustable on all cars for toe in / toe out. If so he's not lying to you!

There is a second type of OE adjustable arm. Porsche did an arm with an adjustable castor bush in it (the centre bush for tuning fork). These were widely available at one time, but have since become very rare. It is otherwise a standard fixed length arm, but has the adjustable castor bush fitted.

It maybe that you have this type of arm fitted.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back