Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Touch Up Paint

Edwos

Trainee
Hello everyone,

Sorry if I have missed this elsewhere on the forum, but is there a preferred channel or route to go to buy an official touch up paint and is it available as a 'stick' or a 'pen' type option? Thanking about trying to touch in a few stone chips and a pesky (not overly deep) scratch to the bonnet.

I assume I need the official colour/paint code for what in my case is Gentian Blue? 992S MY20.

Thanks!

You can purchase touch-up paint / brushes from your OPC, either as a single item, or in combination with a separate clear coat.

If you want more application options, then I've used this company and found the paint match very good - https://touchuppaintfactory.co.uk/

Finally, if your bonnet scratch has not gone through to the paint (is just in the clear coat), then you should be able to have it sanded / polished out.

Good luck :thumb:

Appreciate the reply, thank you! I have some warranty work being undertaken this weekend at Leeds OPC so I'll get some paint ordered then...

Great! If you call them beforehand they can order it in if necessary, or just assign from stock.

I would urge you NOT to try and use the brush that comes in the lid! Clean the surface first. Shake the bottle well, as per the instructions. Personally, I like to use a cocktail stick (trim the end if you don't need a very fine point) and use an eyeglass or magnifier, to improve accuracy. Fill each chip level (or lower) to the paintwork. Leave to dry, you will notice the paint shrink down and then revisit with a further layer. Take your time and you should get pretty good results, depending on the size of the chip.

Thanks Tony,

So once you've carefully dropped in the paint and built it up as needs, do you simply leave the paint in situ or does it need buffing over with a strong hand or a machine polish to make it blend to its surroundings?

Realistically, you are not going to achieve a seamless finish with a touch-up kit, but it should be much less obvious at first glance.

You could go down the route of adding clearcoat to the repair, then wet sanding, followed by a machine polish. However, this is not for the faint hearted and will still not be perfect!

Worse case, if you find you can't live with your repair, then it will just need a good smart repairer or body shop repair. So nothing really lost. Good luck :thumbs:

Thanks Tony. Will drive the car thru summer and get a few more stone chips marked up before getting the paint sorted come Autumn... :roll:

Once summer is done the touched up its will not be that visible anyway :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back