Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Throttle body rubber (anti vibration?) mount, help!?

HoTWire

I've recently changed the voltage regulator, Y cable AND starter motor on my 2002 996 C4 (once it was all apart I didn't fancy doing it again, so just replaced everything that could fail, thanks for those that suggested things in this thread : http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=136984 it took me so long to actually do it that I felt it not worth bumping).

During the course of doing this the rubber mount that secures the throttle body in place perished, I've removed the remaining rubber and have been left with this:

a8742e08f9a7.jpg

I can't seem to work out what part I need there, none of the diagrams seem to match what I've got. Originally I thought I'd sheered a bolt, but now I've cleaned it up that doesn't seem to be the case. Any ideas of what part number needs to go here? On Diagram 107 it looks like the bonded mounting (number 12 on the diagram), but that is threaded both sides and there is no where to screw in to.

This is (theoretically) the last little bit I need to get my Porsche back in action (just in time for the weather to turn)

5HQwUiA.jpg

From memory and based on the above picture of my engine I think it's just a small metal bracket and a rubber bumper that lies against that circular feature on the PS pump.

I would say it could be safely left off for the short term as it looks like it just braces the throttle body against the PS pump, and the TB is well supported by the intake hose.

The rubber part is no.12 here:

996_2005_1_07_107-00.jpg

for which D911 will relieve you of £22.45 + VAT. I guess it's cheaper direct from Porsche though.

Shalmaneser said:
I would say it could be safely left off for the short term as it looks like it just braces the throttle body against the PS pump, and the TB is well supported by the intake hose.

The rubber part is no.12 here:

I'll leave it off for a little bit then, would really like it all running again! :D

That part 12 was what I figured it would be, but I've got no where for the thread at the back of it to go. I thought I'd sheered the bolt, but when I cleaned it all up it doesn't appear I have. Maybe it is one of those little changes they seem to make here and there through the life cycle of the cars. Or perhaps someone else sheered it previously and cleaned it all up so it looks nice and smooth haha.

Thanks for the reply.

Shalmanesers car in the photo is an early cable throttle type (as is mine). Your 2002 will have the fly by wire TB so the mounting may be different and this mount may not be used at all.

OP. The Anti Vibration mount is composed of a rubber cylinder bonded to a pair of metric threaded 'bolts' whose heads are a steel disc. Failure is often the bond between metal and rubber.
If your mount is dead centre of your picture, it looks like one of the threaded bolt/steel discs is still present and the bolt is behind.

I've attached a picture of what I think a new one should look like.

Try searching fleabay for "anti vibration rubber mounts m6".

Attachments

• av_bobbin_154.jpg
    av_bobbin_154.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,412
Ill have a closer look at mine but I think it was just a bumper, not threaded at both sides. Or possibly mine has failed in the same was at the OP's?

That looks like a standard rubber mount to me, RS Components or Farnell stock a whole range of these things for peanuts :thumb:

P9XX said:
If your mount is dead centre of your picture, it looks like one of the threaded bolt/steel discs is still present and the bolt is behind

That now suddenly makes A LOT of sense. I'll go and see if I can turn what is there some how. Which means replacement parts from the diagram above suddenly make sense.

Mine failed in exactly the same way. If you use a set of pliers you should be able to wind the remaining part out.

There were 2 part numbers available from Porsche and the wrong one got sent to my OPC which had a bigger thread on both ends so I ended up bonding my original back together. This was a few years ago and as far as I'm aware its held up ok.

My car never had this part when I bought it ~10 years ago (which I'm only now realising!) - someone had instead replaced it with a longer bolt coupled with a steel bushing/spacer which it passes through

Could be an option. I do have to remember to catch the spacer any time I unbolt and remove the throttle body... but then I thought everybody did this(!)

[having said this, I have just bought a pair of 20x15/M6 anti vibration bobbins from ebay!]

Thanks for the help everyone. I tried to get what was left of the old mount out, but it didn't want to budge. So I'll get a new mount, chop the back off and bond it to what is there.

In less positive news, I got the battery recharged and the car started (so I know my starter motor replacement worked okay). Sadly it only ran until the battery was drained, so I'm guessing either the voltage regulator isn't fitted properly (I replaced that too), or more likely there is a connection missing from the alternator somewhere and it isn't doing its job.

So near ... but so far, as I now need to get to the back of the alternator again to check the connections :(

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back