Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Threaded studs with plastic nuts - repair options

9xxnick

Spa-Francorchamps
Some of the threaded studs that the 993 uses with plastic nuts to retain the sill trims and wheelarch liners are getting a bit worn due to surface corrosion on my car, resulting in the nuts not tightening as firmly as I would like.

Has anyone had any success with a repair method for these? I could of course weld new ones on but would rather avoid the faff of stripping out parts of the interior to avoid the risk of fire which this entails, as well as burning the paint.

Threaded studs

I had a couple either missing or damaged on my car and my solution was to cut off the studs, re-drill and screw in the appropriate sized self tappers. Then cut the heads, off paint with black Hammerite and after more than 5 years they are still doing their job.

Thanks all - I'll give the various methods some thought. It has also occurred to me that I could remove the old studs, drill through and insert a self-tapping screw in from the other side, assuming I could get access to it.

Go buy some plastic nuts from BMW. Significantly stronger and grip better.

They do both small shoulder and large shoulder ones.

For part numbers, use REALOEM. Pick aa 90's Beemer for that authentic look.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back