Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Silver Bullet-Resto Project

igaffz said:
Saying that it would cost £200 for inserts for the front and shocks for the rear then lowering springs would be about £100 then you would have to clean up the old legs to take the inserts, probably better off spending £500 on a set of spax.

That's the way I was looking at it as well Ian nothing in it by the time you blast/paint etc I am waiting on a response from Gaz however I think they offer a choice of springs The Spax ones are 258lbs the standard ones are 165 so something between 165 and 200 should be ok.

Tried the wheels hanging from a bit of wire look ok to me :D

Attachments

• 20160910_183303_resized_179.jpg
    20160910_183303_resized_179.jpg
    753.8 KB · Views: 9,056
Whats your thoughts on the Gaz coilovers on the 928 then Ian ?

Hi Gaz, there a massive improvement on the knackered 35 year old ones! I was actually very impressed with Gaz and the quality is great but you always get a harder ride and more rattles when you fit any after market coilovers. In my opinion the ride will be harder what ever you fit, if you go with standard inserts and fit 30mm lowering springs it will be harder, you've got to remember the old suspension will be really worn and have a lot of give.
I don't know wether to fit Sachs inserts and 30mm lowering springs on the front and Sachs rear shocks and lower the rear 30mm on the Spring plate or to just get a spax or Gaz kit but you would still need to lower the rear on the Spring plate?

So small progress the hubs have been blasted and painted just need to stick the new wheel bearings in, top mounts spindles etc have all been cleaned up and painted.New control arms arrived so stuck the new ball joints on.

In regards the suspension I have decided to go with the koni sport adjustables which are inserts so have stripped the strut which was surprisingly easy and will drop them off at the powder coaters this week along with the calipers

The inserts that came out are Boge automatics not sure if they are the originals but there is no bounce left in them

Attachments

• 20160916_175019_resized_112.jpg
    20160916_175019_resized_112.jpg
    883.6 KB · Views: 8,962
  • 20160916_175029_resized_564.jpg
    20160916_175029_resized_564.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 8,962
Crikey Gaz, I take a few months off the forum and you are onto another car. Good progress already.

A lot of stripping cleaning and painting at the moment Thomas :thumb: dont know about the munroes Ian think for that money the Bilstein or Koni are better.

a bit of progress today got the radiator and various plumbing out with no drama , moved onto the starter motor which again came out easy enough however a couple of problems here somebody had applied copious amounts of silicon to the solenoid and terminals not sure why and the heavy gauge wire from the solenoid to motor is not far away from being worn through so will need stripped down to replace the cable.

had a go at the manifold/exhaust nuts and got a couple off the rest were less willing I was struggling to get a 12mm socket to fit properly stuck some rost-off on to help them along.

Attachments

• 20160925_165736_resized_611.jpg
    20160925_165736_resized_611.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 8,830
I'm really enjoying this thread Gaz :thumbs:
Looks like you're having great fun with it, which is the whole point. As they say 'Good effort that man!'

For inspiration. Hands down best looking 924 I've seen.

AAF92F6E-D890-442E-8BDC-A7061D28341A_zpse0kpngho.png

Cheers Chief enjoying getting stuck in just not at home enough to make decent progress however not in any real rush hows blue book progressing ?

So after stripping the starter (will add some pics on the rebuild) I ordered a new brush set for the princely sum of £12.70 a new starter is £240 got the parts from here Paul was very helpful http://www.jcrsupplies.co.uk/ you used to get alternator/starter repair shops on every industrial estate they all seem to have disappeared up here which is a shame.

I also got a quote for a new set of covers with the right material for the drivers seat 439 euros ouch (Vinyl)

Issyman that's a well known car and a peach no more temptations please this is meant to be a sympathetic resto on a budget :D or that's what her indoors is being told.

however now that you mention it what about this baby
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=42594

Attachments

• 29v_turbo_707.jpg
    29v_turbo_707.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 8,764
  • flanell_208.jpg
    flanell_208.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 8,764
Love the green!

You going to bite the bullet on the covers Gaz or get some racing seats?

Hi Gaz,

Loving it mate, thanks for posting this :thumb:

Taking me back to my white Turbo and it's 1980 again, happy days :thumbs:

Cheers,
Paul

Nice one Paul I`m sure you have space for a new project now the black beast is nearly finished :D the turbos are getting expensive and also have a lot of NLA parts.

Ian the trouble is the seat base and rear foam are also pretty goosed so probably also need a donor seat. I`m swaying towards a set of early boxster black leather seats and putting tartan inserts in the middle front and back for a retro look :?: maybe

Attachments

• shd2228_2_1024x683_157.jpg
    shd2228_2_1024x683_157.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 8,966
The blue tartan looks nice :thumb:

I'm secretly harbering a desire for a 924 turbo, I'd rather have a normal gear box in it though, dog leg boxes drive me nuts! I'm going to start a new thread soon as I'm doing exactly the same as you but with a 1985 944 lux.

You look very feminine in that pic Paul :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back