Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The NEW 718 4.0 GT4 is here

I managed to keep my options to under £10k :roll:

https://www.porsche-code.com/PLAJEDP4

I think I'll wait until I can pick a pre registered 4 month old one up for 70% of list :thumb:

I wonder if they'll have addressed the custard tin strut towers by the time it gets delivered to first customers. Given that it's an unltd run, watch the flood of GT4'S hitting the market now this is released.

This could be the equivalent of the BMW M2 versus 1M. People just like exclusivity and rarity. Never understood it from a manufacturers perspective though. If it's a great car, it will sell like hot cakes so why wouldn't a manufacturer want to sell loads versus make money for a limited few.....?

kan300 said:
Porsche website states *limited availability on the GT4.

Not that limited

"One thing we learned from the last GT4 is a lot of people couldn't get one. Now we're really proud enthusiasts can buy the car, rather than write letters. We're not limited in a way, we will have a longer production run than before, and we wanted to keep it in the same price range."'

So if it is not limited - wouldn't dealers be happy taking deposits and supply in order of deposits taken. From what I hear it is going to be allocation by dealers based on their choice and then payment of deposit to secure.

You put a fully refundable deposit down as an expression of intent when it gets to this stage. You then go on a waiting list for their next allocation batch, when that gets confirmed you then lock your spec in closer to the allocation production date.

NB you can cancel and get your deposit back even after locking a spec in :wink:

I would have thought the rush will be to get in the early allocations but as time goes on it will be easier to get one. As with most 'new" desirable models it will probably still mean overs on early cars but not to the same extent or for as long as the 981 GT4.

I find it fascinating that Porsche have opened this up to 'mass" production (that's of course relative for Porsche) and I wonder how much of that is to also address the concerns over the 4 pot mainstream versions eg I would be in a 718 GTS by now but for the engine. I'm sure part of the limitation of the 981 GT4 was to limit taking sales from the GTS/S models but with the 718 they must know that's nowhere near to the same extend due to the base engine differences :?:

All I know is a 718 with a Porsche engine is very appealing for the first time :grin:

I am shocked they have called it a 718 GT4. The whole 718 thing was supposed to justify the 4 pot engine and I thought they would not call it that with a 6 cylinder :roll: I guess they are still trying to get 718 sales ! (Preston as a new OPC was crammed full of new 718's to be sold lol)

Ps this has got to impact 981 GT4 prices as unlike the 981 to 718 mainstream cars there is likely to be consensus that the 718 GT4 is a 'better" car (we await the reviews) ie current 981 GT4 prices on are on a par / higher than a new 718 GT4 will be which simply won;t make sense (whereas a 981 GTS costing on par/soon to be more than a 718 GTS makes perfect sense :bandit: )

That sounds good. Right decision for once to buy a 981 GTS instead of the 718 GTS.
But Only if your going to sell. Which I'm not :lol:

I've just been on piston heads :grin:

You've already got 981 GT4 owners saying they are underwhelmed :hand: of course they are the ones who paid overs and can see that disappearing quicker than Zingari's self esteem at a Lamaze class :thumb:

917k said:
Zingari said:
917k said:
Suggestion is they aren't limiting the run, and it will effect be a standard production car to order

Indeed that is the case. There is no limited production run, it will be part of the 718 line up starting at the bargain price of £75k.

Initially enquiries now suggest a delivery before end of 2020 - and that's without any previous Porsche buying loyalty :hand: That said OPCs will get an allocation with the buying frenzy this year, but Q3/4 2020 looks interesting.

It won't have the kudos of the 981 being a limited GT car but I'd expect values to take a hit given the 718 spec :roll:

If anyone has a 981GT4 willing to let it go for 60 bags give me a shout :thumb:

No one will spec one for 75k though, will they

Most are going to be a 85k - 90k surely

I had a loaner from the OPC last week. 718 Boxster S, 56k as standard, but spec was just over 70k

Judging by your location I had the very same 718 S Boxster loaner last week whilst my 981 CGTS was in for it's major service. I tried to spec it up on the configurator and it got to a mental price. Also what did you think of it? I've driven the standard 718 Boxster and a 718 Cayman GTS but these were both pre GPFs and I thought they weren't too bad. That loaner must have a GPF (68 plate) as even when I gave my 80 year old mother a lift in it and we hadn't got to the end of the road before she said that it sounded as rough as old hedges! I would like a 718 Spyder if availability is better, and they offer PDK in the future, (I know sacrilege) but I'm worried about the GPF.

jonttt said:
this has got to impact 981 GT4 prices as unlike the 981 to 718 mainstream cars there is likely to be consensus that the 718 GT4 is a 'better" car (we await the reviews) ie current 981 GT4 prices on are on a par / higher than a new 718 GT4 will be which simply won;t make sense

Nail head :thumbs: The highest priced 981GT4 with OPC is currently £86k. That price with 7k miles is looking ludicrous against a reasonable spec 718. Wise move by the dealer though as it's on SoR.

I've learned in the past that whilst I value certain options, come trade in time there's always a sharp intake through gritted teeth when the salesman tells me they don't count in his valuation :roll: That said I never went for Moody Blue or Suicide Savanna interiors :hand:

Hmmm it's quite nice (especially in yellow) not sure on the hype though for a GT car that is 0.4 of a second slower to 62 than a Herman Yellow, with fuel consumption 5 mpg worse. Slowed down too much IMHO (and not helped by the manual transmission) Should clearly be under 4 seconds with that engine and vehicle weight :dont know: Cheap enough though :thumb:

mactrack said:
917k said:
Zingari said:
917k said:
Suggestion is they aren't limiting the run, and it will effect be a standard production car to order

Indeed that is the case. There is no limited production run, it will be part of the 718 line up starting at the bargain price of £75k.

Initially enquiries now suggest a delivery before end of 2020 - and that's without any previous Porsche buying loyalty :hand: That said OPCs will get an allocation with the buying frenzy this year, but Q3/4 2020 looks interesting.

It won't have the kudos of the 981 being a limited GT car but I'd expect values to take a hit given the 718 spec :roll:

I had a loaner from the OPC last week. 718 Boxster S, 56k as standard, but spec was just over 70k

Judging by your location I had the very same 718 S Boxster loaner last week whilst my 981 CGTS was in for it's major service. I tried to spec it up on the configurator and it got to a mental price. Also what did you think of it? I've driven the standard 718 Boxster and a 718 Cayman GTS but these were both pre GPFs and I thought they weren't too bad. That loaner must have a GPF (68 plate) as even when I gave my 80 year old mother a lift in it and we hadn't got to the end of the road before she said that it sounded as rough as old hedges! I would like a 718 Spyder if availability is better, and they offer PDK in the future, (I know sacrilege) but I'm worried about the GPF.

Yes, same one I imagine, 68 plate in Agate grey with red roof

Nice looking and great spec, but the drive made me feel a little dead inside. Cabin is particularly nice

Sounded like an Impreza, and just didn't drive with the same verve my R does. Was more than happy to hand it back and drive back home happily in mine

917k said:
mactrack said:
917k said:
Zingari said:
917k said:

Yes, same one I imagine, 68 plate in Agate grey with red roof

Nice looking and great spec, but the drive made me feel a little dead inside. Cabin is particularly nice

Sounded like an Impreza, and just didn't drive with the same verve my R does. Was more than happy to hand it back and drive back home happily in mine

Yes that's the one. I thought the interior was nothing special in fact the extended leather on the door cards wasn't as nice as in my 981 CGTS being almost like hard scratchy plastic to the touch. Likewise I ended up leaving it in my garage instead of driving it.

spongebob squarepants said:
Hmmm it's quite nice (especially in yellow) not sure on the hype though for a GT car that is 0.4 of a second slower to 62 than a Herman Yellow, with fuel consumption 5 mpg worse. Slowed down too much IMHO (and not helped by the manual transmission) Should clearly be under 4 seconds with that engine and vehicle weight :dont know: Cheap enough though :thumb:

I suspect the performance figures have been down played as you would expect a 420bhp car to be much faster. If Porsche made it look too fast, it would out sell the 911.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back