Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The journey to my ideal 993...

Gubsta, the car sounds demonic!! :saw: Great job.

What chilterns road is that in the video may I ask? Looks perfect for a weekend thrashing.

Great project Gubsta.......pondered the same direction many times :worship:

badlands said:
What chilterns road is that in the video may I ask? Looks perfect for a weekend thrashing.

It's the road out towards the Pink and Lily Pub just outside Princes Risborough... some good roads round there and always pretty quiet... until I come along anyway!

So a bit more of an update as have been doing some odd jobs over the winter.

After many months I finally got a new rear bootlid and rear wing - but it was painful going. The fit I had on the previous fibreglass one piece rear wing was poor - and it's only really fit for track days. As the car was developing I wanted the bodywork to be A1. Here is the old wing:

23584781263_26bcfa3996_z.jpg

You can see that the panel gaps aren't great and I was never happy with it as a permanent solution. I first ordered a new wing from FSH in Germany. Long story short they claimed they had sent out a wing on four separate occasions and nothing arrived - they claimed they had all been stolen en route. In the end I pursued a Paypal claim and got my money back. Put off by dealing with overseas traders and having been stung by shipping/import costs from the States on several occasions I turned to Club Autosport in the UK.

So about three months into the whole saga this arrived (stupid looking cat not included)

20913201163_80b2224dc4_z.jpg

Unfortunately I unwrapped (after signing for it - d'oh) to find it had taken a whack in the post:

21509856406_aed1b3d717_z.jpg

To Club Autosport's credit they took it back and replaced at their expense and a week later I was in possession of an insert type wing - which along with a 'naked' boot lid from a breakers yard left me looking like this...

23916188350_55ff76548d_z.jpg

I debated holding on to the old bootlid and splitters etc to go back to a classic look at some point in the future but to be honest I hate having stuff sitting around - for once Porsche tax worked in my favour and I sold the old boot lid for £900. Madness but I wasn't going to argue!!

So to complete the rear end I ordered a complete new reflector / rear light set. Decided to ditch the ambers on the rear as they are strangely more expensive than the reds. Was quite cost effective ordering the complete C4 clear front/sides and read red set and then selling the bits I didn't need back on eBay. Didn't muck around with knock off rear lights as I've seen seem really bad ones that don't fit properly so ordered direct from Porsche.

Much better... and now with new grille ordered ready for paint...

23583673294_313c666fee_z.jpg

So some final jobs before heading for paint was to tidy up the interior and loom a little further. There was a lot of crap under the dash that I could get rid of and some more thinning out of the loom I could do. I left the pop up spoiler wiring in place hidden behind the dash so I could revert later ( or a future owner could) but got rid of the final bits of stereo and all the airbag wiring and modules. Bit of a head scratcher on the airbag module as once I'd removed the car wouldn't start - eventually worked out that the DME relay is powered from the airbag module (i.e. airbags fire and engine cuts). So I bypassed the ignition supply round the module and got rid of the whole lot.

Work in progress...

23917297246_4ebd1b76e8_z.jpg

And pile of stuff removed from under dash:

23647702740_0f7ea05440_z.jpg

Finally I had a split cardboard heater tube coming out of the main servo flaps. I have no idea why on one side of the flap is a really durable red fabric duct, and on the other side cardboard... so replaced the cardboard with some spiral wound duct.

23316599893_6b82c0aece_z.jpg

Several hours later...

24168061856_81b622d69d_z.jpg

So odd jobs all done and I have now dropped the car in at Tuthills. we are starting with a check on the chassis legs and then getting into sunroof removal, roll cage install and interior and exterior paint. More to come...

Looking great :thumb:

How do you find the RS LWF & Clutch, any issues, stalling etc?

Awesome project, the car sounds lovely and I've a feeling it drives even better than it sounds :) Sorry if I missed it, but any plans for an LSD?

Gubsta said:
badlands said:

It's the road out towards the Pink and Lily Pub just outside Princes Risborough... some good roads round there and always pretty quiet... until I come along anyway!

I worked in Thame for a couple years so I explored the routes around there pretty well on my motorbike (pre-911). I can remember the B4009 down to Benson was quite good. The A329 SW from Thame was entertaining as well. Any other suggestions?

Need to go back on the 911 :)

Cheers,
Pedro.

wozy said:

A bit hair raising when bedding in. The first few drives involved pulling out of junctions in a cloud of wheel spin or stalling! It quickly settles down and in my view completely transforms the feel of the car. The engine feels notably more free revving. Brilliant when pushing on.

In traffic it is harder to drive and it you dip the clutch to fast or too early coming up to a junction then it is more prone to stall. You quickly learn to drive round this and either hold it in gear or depress the clutch more slowly to prevent the revs from dropping so quickly.

So in summary in my view a great mod but requires more concentration to drive. I'm guessing a remap or raising the idle speed would help though. Has anybody done this?

Gubsta said:
wozy said:

A bit hair raising when bedding in. The first few drives involved pulling out of junctions in a cloud of wheel spin or stalling! It quickly settles down and in my view completely transforms the feel of the car. The engine feels notably more free revving. Brilliant when pushing on.

In traffic it is harder to drive and it you dip the clutch to fast or too early coming up to a junction then it is more prone to stall. You quickly learn to drive round this and either hold it in gear or depress the clutch more slowly to prevent the revs from dropping so quickly.

So in summary in my view a great mod but requires more concentration to drive. I'm guessing a remap or raising the idle speed would help though. Has anybody done this?

Good summary, that's pretty much how I feel about mine. Not sure I'd want it in a daily driver, but in a toy I like it...apart from the time I stalled it downshifting from 6 to 5 at 70mph on the M42 in rush hour. That was bad. I double de-clutch my downshifts now, which helps.

pjvenda said:
Awesome project, the car sounds lovely and I've a feeling it drives even better than it sounds :) Sorry if I missed it, but any plans for an LSD?

I am thinking of going with a Wavetrac as a good road/occasional track compromise. Anybody got any views?

pjvenda said:
I worked in Thame for a couple years so I explored the routes around there pretty well on my motorbike (pre-911). I can remember the B4009 down to Benson was quite good. The A329 SW from Thame was entertaining as well. Any other suggestions?

A4011 from Thame to Bicester is well sighted and very good fun on an early summer morning!

So the patient is in surgery...

Bye bye sunroof:

26498997302_22e9870492_z.jpg

26525487041_5da5eb701c_z.jpg

Washer jets no more...

26591566915_f8579ca915_z.jpg

Spot the missing component:

24494753424_a901bb1e01_z.jpg

There it is!

25099093686_840d9d2320_z.jpg

Much deliberation around roll bar configurations. Finally settled on rear only, with bar configuration loosely based on rear section of the factory RS. These guys obviously know what they are doing as they build WRC cars!

26444458682_e739a7f3fa_z.jpg

Arrrrgh my eyes!

26263905790_43ee5e166c_z.jpg

Hopefully not too long now before paint...

Hi,

Great project. Thanks for updating. It's going to look great.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back