Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The consensus on this serious 993 predicament please....

kim hollamby said:
highway said:
I had the offer of the asking price and yet I found a reason to pull out.

Christ, what are you LIKE?

You are a mentalist. You're Barking. Just like the rest of them. Us.

Get out of HK Berni, it's full of

You can talk! I spoke to the chaps at Precision ( who I went to on YOUR recommendation for the 24k I may add) they know you by name and think think your special as well! ( in a good way) my ownership is definitively but a shadow of your obsession. As for Sam, no one can help him....

Precision are painting my PU soon. Cam chain cover to follow. I'm throwing money at that ***** with abandon now.

orangecurry said:
More importantly, that HK one has ET 70 rears :hand:

LMFAO, trust you to notice that!!! :floor:

Berni, we really need to be having this discussion down the pub with some beers! As a substitute, I am sitting here with a G&T and a nice bottle of red to follow, so pour yourself a drink too.

In my opinion, the fact that you have put SO much time and effort into the car, especially with the engine rebuild, I would seriously consider importing yours to HK and then bringing it home with you once you're done. £4k is peanuts when it comes to 993 ownership and I really think that anything you buy over there could well need 4k's worth of work doing. Fair enough, if you have the setup over there to continue doing your own work then I guess it may be £1-2k for things like parts and bodywork (corrosion issues).

In any case, I think you've put enough blood, sweat and tears into yours to justify bringing it over.

If you do decide to buy one in HK this could be good for us as no doubt things will need doing to it and you'll post up handy DIYs accompanied by great pics!

All the best whatever you decide. Hope it pans out well for you over there, I was there a few years ago for a couple of weeks staying with friends and I loved the place.

Stu

turbo when am 50 said:
orangecurry said:

I am a bit nieve can you explain OC :thumb:

Ahh yes a small wheelist jibe...

If original, Cup2 wheels made for the 993 come in two offsets for the rear wheels - the allegedly early rear is ET70, and appears rather inboard (as the photo on page one) and the allegedly later rear is ET55 which sticks 'out' more and lines up nicely with the wheelarch edge - who would have thought 15mm would have made so much difference?

If you are sure that you can ship yours out for so little (and that there are no 'hidden' import duties) then I think you take yours out there, seems the cheapest option, plus you get a car you know and can continue to improve.

I wish I had the same option when I got mine here in Singapore, I would have brought one from the UK in a flash.......but unfortunately not possible here so had to pay GBP70k to but a 1994 Carrera here!! It seems that HK is more car friendly than Singapore.....didnt think that was the case, you are fortunate.

The only plus of a local HK car is that it is likely to be relatively rust free compared to its UK cousins.

At the end of the day, life is to be enjoyed, dont put things on hold for 2 yrs just becasue you are overseas....find a way to keep enjoying porsche ownership, there isnt a better way to spend money!!

orangecurry said:
turbo when am 50 said:
orangecurry said:

I am a bit nieve can you explain OC :thumb:

Ahh yes a small wheelist jibe...

If original, Cup2 wheels made for the 993 come in two offsets for the rear wheels - the allegedly early rear is ET70, and appears rather inboard (as the photo on page one) and the allegedly later rear is ET55 which sticks 'out' more and lines up nicely with the wheelarch edge - who would have thought 15mm would have made so much difference?

many thanks Iam learning,slowly but surely. :grin:

Hi Guys

Thank you all for mulling it over with me. I am off the idea of selling my car and buying a car out here. The only question is to ship or not ship and I can leave that for a while I guess. I am still going to keep my eye on the 993 market in HK though. Professional interest and all that.

Thank you all again, it really helped. Oh, and I usually notice wrong offsets, so I wonder if it is just the camera angle. It does look a bit wrong at the rear from the pictures.

All the best

Berni

...Berni I truly think you will regret it if you sell your car....

Oh dear....I see poor Highway has finally come round to our way of thinking......too funny by half......:)

highway said:
You can talk! I spoke to the chaps at Precision ( who I went to on YOUR recommendation for the 24k I may add) they know you by name and think think your special as well! ( in a good way) my ownership is definitively but a shadow of your obsession. As for Sam, no one can help him....

Precision are painting my PU soon. Cam chain cover to follow. I'm throwing money at that ***** with abandon now.

Ha. It's all over my friend. No turning back.

I'm glad to hear it Bruv. Lovely car. Be awful to sell it - the new stuff gets boring very quickly, even though they are fantastic to drive and well rapid.

Well done Geezer.

The boring reply:

You are presumably out there to earn/save money so spending £8k transporting a car back and forth that may be worth £12k would not immediately seem to be very sensible.

The car is worth more to you than it would fetch on the open market so it would make sense to keep it.

What you do in HK car wise is the question. If you feel the market is stable in terms of price, buy the best car you can at the most amount of money you feel comfortable with spending but paying particular care on what you feel will hold its money best and will sell quickly if you are unexpectedly forced to sell / return to the UK.

You know better what is happening in the HK market compared to us in the UK.

Lastly, what about trying a different car while you are out there - heresy I know for a Porsche forum !

You may wish to read/study this URL link Bernie. Not sure what the script is, re older pre-1998 cars......but forearmed is forewarned.

IMO you should keep it safe in the UK until you return. You have put a lot of time and money into it. If you are close to a good indy they(or a family member) can collect/return the car every 3-6 months and give it the once over to ensure all is well.

and besides......what a nice treat to return to after a while away. It will re-ignite your passion for a car that should not have lost much upon your return.

If leaving it behind, just make sure its been incorporated into your will(not that your going to cop it of course). It just saves any hassle.

btw - my mum called me recently just to say that her 4k ride-on mower is being willed to me and so is her 8 year old poodle :floor: :bye:

http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_serv...mportation_and_registration_of_mot/index.html

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back