Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tandem pump needs replacing - what parts do I need?

Hope mine don't chop anything!

autodoc.co.uk have good prices for some parts, and couldn't get a pierburg waterpump I bought recently anywhere here in the UK.

Porker2009 I changed my oil pipe just for good measure as they do become porous after time it seemed madness to me not to whilst the pump was being replaced :thumb:

Poker2009 said:
Does the engine oil need to be drained when changing the tandem pump?

bought mine from Autodoc too, my indie fitted it and didnt need to drain oil or remove any other parts.

FZP said:
There is a thread where covers were tried and unsuccessful. Those particular ones were taken off the market. Not sure about the one listed above.
The ACP version that The Finn has installed has been designed post those original replacement Stainless covers that were on the market for a while.
They had a plastic version on trial but we're only happy to go to full production with the Ali version listed on their website. The quality looks excellent in the flesh.

timbo1811 said:
Poker2009 said:
Does the engine oil need to be drained when changing the tandem pump?

bought mine from Autodoc too, my indie fitted it and didnt need to drain oil or remove any other parts.

No mine wasn't drained either I would get the pipe done at the same time its only a cheap part and saves future hassle. :thumb:

My tandem pump is rusted - does this mean it needs changing?

what are the signs that it actually needs changing? as its more then likely been like this for a long time - and i have only just noticed or been told

SamUK said:
My tandem pump is rusted - does this mean it needs changing?

what are the signs that it actually needs changing? as its more then likely been like this for a long time - and i have only just noticed or been told

only needs changing if its so rusted its leaking oil. I tried to clean the rust off, but it was obviously so thin by then it started leaking a few days later. Depends how bad it is, you could change it for peace of mind.

This is what mine looked like....

Attachments

• img_0672_203.jpg
    img_0672_203.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 3,125
thanks - i'l check out if mine is leaking..though i doubt it..

changing too many things on this car..just fed up..most of my driving is to and from garages..they rest is driving around to try to figure out issues... :pc:

If my issues are not resolved with the map...top gear exhaust is being removed and car will be sold..

SamUK said:
thanks - i'l check out if mine is leaking..though i doubt it..

changing too many things on this car..just fed up..most of my driving is to and from garages..they rest is driving around to try to figure out issues... :pc:

If my issues are not resolved with the map...top gear exhaust is being removed and car will be sold..

I'm starting a feel a bit like that too, went in for a water pump, and now been told about tandem pump and exhaust fittings. I think it might be downhill from here on in..

Sam , Poker you need to look at it like this . If you had gone out and spent your dough on a beemer merc or pretty much any other car say £25k had it several years it would now be worth £12k so you would have lost £13k in depreciation. your 997 is going to be worth the same or a bit more than you paid for it so by choosing a 911 you have saved £13 k in depreciation that you would have suffered in any other car you brought. So have you spent 13k on the 997 if not stop being grumpy and remember your driving a 10 year old sports car that is more fun to drive than most other cars and has actually cost you only a fraction of what it would have cost to have owned a boring euro box.
If you were silly enough to have brought a CAR as an investment and expected it to go up in value and cost you nothing to run, "well what can I say" :floor: :floor: :floor:
Hope that puts a few of your recent bills into perspective :grin: :grin: :thumb:

I am with Phil on this had the a conversation with my wife yesterday ,her comment was that the Boxster had only done 5k miles in a year should we keep it ,I had a quick look at other Boxster's that are on the market not one would live with our car in terms of quality and mileage .The best bit is that they are all at least 2k more than we paid a year ago not bad really the pleasure of driving 5k miles in a Boxster and its gone up in value .
Here is a different slant on things to my Disco in for two front wheel bearings last weekend drove away car lovely and quite 200 yds up the road a big yellow suspension fault comes on back to the garage ask what might be the problem ? the answer was its not uncommon for the air compressor to fail after being jacked up !!! due to the air bags becoming deflated ,its a cheap fix at a Land Rover dealer a cool £700 for the pump plus fitting ,my 911 do not seem so expensive after all
good luck

Phil 997 said:
Sam , Poker you need to look at it like this . If you had gone out and spent your dough on a beemer merc or pretty much any other car say £25k had it several years it would now be worth £12k so you would have lost £13k in depreciation. your 997 is going to be worth the same or a bit more than you paid for it so by choosing a 911 you have saved £13 k in depreciation that you would have suffered in any other car you brought. So have you spent 13k on the 997 if not stop being grumpy and remember your driving a 10 year old sports car that is more fun to drive than most other cars and has actually cost you only a fraction of what it would have cost to have owned a boring euro box.
If you were silly enough to have brought a CAR as an investment and expected it to go up in value and cost you nothing to run, "well what can I say" :floor: :floor: :floor:
Hope that puts a few of your recent bills into perspective :grin: :grin: :thumb:

What an excellent way of looking at it, glass half full and all that, that's what I will tell the other half, providing that is, things don't let go completely!

Just found out it is not leaking yet - the flash on the camera made it look like oil, but it wasn't. It is still badly corroded, but will hold out a little longer before changing it, even though I have the new part on its way!

It looks like it has been on there for 50 years!

Attachments

• img_8324_751.jpg
    img_8324_751.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 2,986
Blimey mate mine didnt look that bad when I changed it , amazing its not leaking yet looks like a part of an old WW2 sunken wreck :grin: :thumb:

Just trying to plan ahead for the inevitable..

Is there a kit available for all the exhaust fittings which will need to be replaced?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back