Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering rack access - crusty pipes

OK, so I've managed to remove the inner track rods - with the steering on full lock I was able to use my large adjustable spanner to get hold of the flats on the inner and there was no way the adjustment nut was loosening, so inner, outer and gaiter have come out as a single unit.

The challenge now seems to be how to tighten the larger gaiter clip properly - access is quite tight and (on the first one at least), I'm not able to get the larger tooth engaged - it's as if the clip needed to be slightly longer - annoying.

I'm tempted to see f I can substiture a stainless steel Jubilee type clip, so long as there's sufficient access to get a driver in there to tighten it - I can't see how to get a pair of pincers/wide cutters in to crimp the standard clip on the drivers side, assuming that I can get the hook engaged correctly.

Good work!

If I'm really stuggling with a particular task, I'll walk away and leave it for a bit or the next day. Refreshed and re-energised it often goes together first time! Not always possible if it is your daily driver!

Ian

spangled said:
OK, so I've managed to remove the inner track rods - with the steering on full lock I was able to use my large adjustable spanner to get hold of the flats on the inner and there was no way the adjustment nut was loosening, so inner, outer and gaiter have come out as a single unit.

The challenge now seems to be how to tighten the larger gaiter clip properly - access is quite tight and (on the first one at least), I'm not able to get the larger tooth engaged - it's as if the clip needed to be slightly longer - annoying.

I'm tempted to see f I can substiture a stainless steel Jubilee type clip, so long as there's sufficient access to get a driver in there to tighten it - I can't see how to get a pair of pincers/wide cutters in to crimp the standard clip on the drivers side, assuming that I can get the hook engaged correctly.

Use a jubilee clip .. you have just about enough access from below ( panels removed ) to do it up .

Crimp type and you need the rack removed to clamp it .

deMort said:
Use a jubilee clip .. you have just about enough access from below ( panels removed ) to do it up .

Crimp type and you need the rack removed to clamp it .

...and that's exactly what I ended up doing - I found that I had three extremely large Jubilee type clips, which I was able to trim down to the correct size.

Once I'd managed to get the gaiter on to the rack (quite difficult on the drivers side, requiring an overnight break before another go the following evening), putting on a Jubilee clip and ditching the standard crimp ring was straightforward. I found that dropping the anti-roll bar provided access for the screwdriver on the passenger's side.

Next stop - suspension re-assembly!

To get the gaiter on the rack .. push it close .. wheel on a slight lock then when lined up just push the wheel onto a full lock .. the gaiter will 9/10 go straight on .. you then jubilee clip it .

It's how i do it at work anyways .

Anti Roll bar .. yup i get it .. a long screwdriver and a bit of fiddling about and it can be done without removing .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back