Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sold my C4S. One hour later buyer has issues...

budge said:
Hi everyone. Thought I would bring this thread to a conclusion with an update....

The issue was indeed a single coil that had packed up. I've been in touch with the buyer throughout.
I offered to pay for the parts and labour, but the buyer declined and seemed more than happy to cover it. We've been in comms since and it sounds as though he's enjoying the car and getting plenty more use out of it than me.

For the moment, whilst life is so busy for me, I've picked up an F31 BMW 335D XDrive MSport Touring which has far exceeded expectations and covers everything I "need" from a car.
Hoping by this time next year I will be back in a 911 of some sort.

well, you proved me wrong, your method worked well, and because your buyer knew that you were sincere, support and encouragement was enough for him, well done, palladium.

Cheers.

Reminds me of the time I sold a motorbike to a fella. It was genuine and straight but the guy made out he knew all about them so didn't want help/info. he just road off after paying cash.

Imagine my horror to find him parked up at the end of my road in the pissing rain :oops: I pulled up and the soaked bloke said "it's just died".. he had the right hump.

Quick look over - he's pulled the choke out :D Pushed that back in.. kicked it over a couple of times, fires up no worries!!!

I did have a chuckle to myself as I drove off... dry and warm.

MNC911 said:
Make a goodwill gesture, (on the basis it's checked over by a garage) for all you know the buyer might be trying to pull a fast one.

You don't have to based on the law, sold as seen, after 1st October 2015.

What goes around, comes around, karma my friend.

It's entirely your decision what you want to do, help out or say please don't contact me again.

It's what sits with your conscience best :thumb:
Personally I would help out, if the scenario was legitimately true, I don't like the thought of anyone I've contracted with to feel they've been done. :thumb:

that may work..but previously when i have had cars bought privately and had issues on route home - serious ones i get diagnosed and if the seller will not help..i have dropped the cars off and got my money back..as no offence to the opp..there are people out there trying to sell bad cars..

generally people are okay..and want to work to a solution..

Glad its all sorted to mutual satisfaction, but one thing that stands out here is people still assume that 'sold as seen' is still a valid statement to stand behind.

It is irrelevant to either trade or private sales because anything you sell must be fit for purpose at the time you sell it.

Coil packs can and do fail without warning - Porsche UK and every indy would back you up on that, and your gesture to pay for it was just that - a gesture.

However, if you were to sell the car because for instance, you knew the turbos were shot, and they subsequently failed soon after purchase then the new owner would be entitled to seek recompense for repairs or even return the car to you.

The only ambiguity is the extent of reasonable time between selling the car and the fault becoming apparent.

you say you have dropped your cars off and got your money back, if a serious fault is diagnosed, how many times have you had to do this?

Not sure it would work.

Glad this has worked out, any potential comeback a buyer may have all hinges on how the car was advertised and any claims made. There have been some threads on pistonheads that would put anyone off selling a car privately, just stating sold as seen is no protection.

Budge - Well done on behaving like a true gent and sorting it out without any fuss, although you had a little stree whilst it was being sorted.

I got the same BMW last year and it is a superb motor. The spec on mine was superb, as it was going to be a demonstrator, until I stole it off them on the day of delivery to them. Make sure you get a good discount, as they are about, along with manufacturer contribution. Enjoy it!

PS - You probably won't use eco mode until you get bored with absolutely thrashing it for the first 6 months, or so. Mine is 12 months old in a couple of weeks and all 11,000 miles have been fun.

Palladium - I took a car straight back to the dealer, within an hour for a full refund. Didn't even manage to get it home. No fuss, no issues, just got a refund from the dealer. New laws are great. Probably not so good for private sellers selling something that later goes wrong.

Sold a 1974 VW Bus to a woman who later came back at me with a bill for work which she said I would have known about, I didn't, but it was easier to pay than fight (and possibly lose).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back