Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Solar powered trickle charger

PanozGTR

Silverstone
Has anybody had any experience of solar trickle chargers. I have no power in the garage available to me so I am looking for alternatives. These chargers are for sale but are they worth investing in. All to often this type of thing is hyped up only to turn out crap. Your thoughts please.

I had one years ago which worked OK for a 1960's 2.0 litre T.

Thanks for the reply Zorro. Just wondering, how long did you use the charger between startups. Could you leave the car on charge for say two or three months at a time.

I did a little bit off research into these a few months ago ie I was keeping my boxster on the drive but due to covid was not driving it......battery depleted after 2-3 of none use to the point I could not start the car. I keep it in storage over winter on a trickle charger no problems and can put it on charge via an extension lead on the drive but wanted a 'neater" solution......I did not get very far as I read you have to be careful to get one with protection from overcharge......I found it hard to tell from various spec sheets if the various recommended options had this or not so just gave up.

PanozGTR said:
Thanks for the reply Zorro. Just wondering, how long did you use the charger between startups. Could you leave the car on charge for say two or three months at a time.

It was never left for that long, perhaps a month at most. Remember it was an old car with much simpler electrics.

Thanks for your replies. It looks like a bit more investigation is needed.

I run one on my wife's car. So long as it is pointing south it keeps the car charged fine in the summer, marginal in the winter.

MC

Several years ago I bought one from eBay for c£14 that I used on my Audi. I ended up leaving it outside for 10 months with the solar charger on the dashboard.

Car started without issue :thumb: The brakes however were a different matter. They sounded like Jonttt break dancing with a load of looes change in his pockets :what:

Zingari said:
Several years ago I bought one from eBay for c£14 that I used on my Audi. I ended up leaving it outside for 10 months with the solar charger on the dashboard.

Car started without issue :thumb: The brakes however were a different matter. They sounded like Jonttt break dancing with a load of looes change in his pockets :what:

One does not carry cash :hand:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back