Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Shell v power in short supply?

You do know that supermarket fuel doesn't contain the additives that branded fuel does don't you?

Never use supermarkets and stick to V-Power or, if unavailable, BP Ultimate.

Not only for performance but for better MPG also.. :thumb:

They just use different additives, that's all. There is zero issue using supermarket fuel, as it all comes from the same local depot anyway. :)

Ekona said:
They just use different additives, that's all. There is zero issue using supermarket fuel, as it all comes from the same local depot anyway. :)

+1

having worked in petrol stations in my youth and know a couple of people who have run franchises, I'd trust a supermarket more as to what goes into their tanks is what it says on the pump label...........

Martian said:
HarryH said:
Martian said:
chimp911 said:
...there is a way to force a quick reset but I'm not sure of the exact sequence though I'm sure others will be along with the answer....

Just disconnect the negative terminal from the battery for about an hour.

not forgetting (IIRC) to put the key in and turn to position 1 first, to avoid the alarm going off when you disconnect

Yes, good point. You only ever disconnect the battery without first turning the key once! :D

Remember - disconnecting the battery may send some accessories to "sleep" (such as heated seats) that will need to be woken up again with the diagnostic tool.

Martian said:
John H said:
You do know that supermarket fuel doesn't contain the additives that branded fuel does don't you?...

:floor:

Another myth.

Next you'll be stating that your Insurance wouldn't pay out if you don't have 'N' rated tyres.

Mock all you like... :x I can assure you, from a friend who works in the UK's largest oil refinery, that there is a major difference between "cheap" supermarket fuels and premium brands. Yes the supermarket brands may be 95, 98 or whatever octane but they DO NOT have the same additives that Shell, BP, Esso etc put in their fuels. The petrol comes out of the same refinery, but each brand add their additives before it goes into the delivery vehicles. This is how the supermarkets keep their prices down!!

I asked today in the Shell Garage near Whitstable and the guy said they would maybe have some V Power in tomorrow.

I had half a tank left but was on my way out so topped it off with Esso Super Unleaded, not been much mention of them, any thoughts, (not that it really matters now).

No problem with Esso super unleaded as a stop-gap. But the fuel with the most superior additives is still Shell V-Power. This fuel will keep your engine clean like no other - especially so when compared with supermarket varieties!!

As a Porsche owner for over 30 years, I find it amazing that some people shell-out (pun-intended) what they do for such a high performance car and them skimp a few pence on inferior fuel... :?

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back