Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Risky Business 928 Sells for $1.98M

911Time

Suzuka
Saw this in my news feed and thought others may be interested.

Those of us, who lived through the 80's and were into Porsche, no doubt remember the Coming-of-Age movie 'Risky Business'.

For those who don't (spoiler alert): It's a simple tale of a promising young lad (Tom Cruise), who falls for a call girl (Rebecca De Mornay), gets chased by her killer pimp (Joe Pantoliano), dunks his father's Porsche in Lake Michigan and sets up a brothel at his parents house, to pay for the repairs. We've all been there – right?

The star of the show, for Porsche fans, was undoubtedly the gorgeous 928 that was so unceremoniously dumped in the water. Was I the only one that cringed at that moment?

Now, one of the four cars used during filming (one being a shell for the lake scene), has sold at Barrett-Jackson auctions in America, for a hammer price of $1.98M, setting a new world record for the model.

No doubt the new owner will reminisce about the 80's, maybe don a pair of Ray-Bans to rake the garden, or even ask the missus to take a memorable train ride but there's no doubt at all, that if it ever leaves the garage, it'll be driven so slowly, children on bicycles will be able to pass by.

$1.98M is lot of money to spend on a car but as they say in the movie, 'Sometimes you gotta say, what the f%&k"!

Screen-Shot-2021-09-21-at-08-15-38.png

Screen-Shot-2021-09-21-at-08-10-44.png

Screen-Shot-2021-09-21-at-08-15-07.png

Screen-Shot-2021-09-21-at-08-14-49.png

Mark Davis 911Time
https://en-gb.facebook.com/MarkDavis911Time

What the ****?

Someone's going to take a massive haircut on that and rue the day he drank too many jack-n-cokes at Barrett Jackson.

...the epitome of more money than sense!

...great colour scheme though :thumbs:

Risky

It was the Porsche dealership boss asking "who's the U boat commander" clutching a clip board full of estimates that made me wince.

DeMornay dated Cruise for a while & the Tangerine Dream soundtrack whilst on the train was either exceptional acting or the real thing. I think the friendship fell apart as she didn't want to be his beard.

Allegedly

Worth every penny. Love the car and film. Guido the killer pimp :D :grin:

Good grief.

There plainly was no substitute, for that buyer...

I thought the 928 was a worthy successor to the air cooled 911, and it seems in time the water cooled variations are none too far off the design ideals of the 928...?

To my mind the 928 was a true GT at at time when the 911 was a sports car, awhich in time evolved to incorporate power steering and the rest of the toys to make driving simpler, more comfortable, and safer.

T`would seem to me there may be little doubt that the water cooled versions have become GT`s Compared to the original 911 concept... :?:

928 are undervalued but so are all big old GT which are ruinous to maintain. Beautiful cars especially the early ones. I'm about ready for one I think :grin:

IMI A, I suspect you are not far off the mark when you type ruinous in terms of the likely cost of running a 928, more is the pity.

I spent a bit of time working on my pals manual GR 928 which he bought new and ran until it would run no more, he was a hard driving chap when younger thus the old thing was pretty well used the gearbox sounding like a freshly loaded chip shop fryer.... New springs, new discs and pads, new suspension arms, water pump, timing belt, electrical gremlin resolved and starter motor overhaul.... he ran it for a while longer in his usual exuberant fashion, though it was laid up for a decade or so and it may have broken a timing belt last time he fired it up a year or so back...!!!

Yeah I imagine the 928 could be a scary proposition these days given possible spares issues,which even the 911`s seem to suffer relative to 80`s Bosch fuel injection parts.

I suppose there will be hose who value the 928`s rarity, however I think that will be offset by some measure by the realities of ownership costs over time... Fabulous car as most of the Porsche personalities chose them over the 911 for their day to day duties and longer trips...Pretty sure somewhere in my collection of books I have read of race drivers and jurno`s alike singing the praises of the 928, but as ever the market decides and such has been the hype around the three digits of 911 that those three numbers will ever be the ones to receive all the hype, and boy has there been plenty of that over the years... Jeez, I even bought another one..!!! :grin:

Luddite said:
I thought the 928 was a worthy successor to the air cooled 911, and it seems in time the water cooled variations are none too far off the design ideals of the 928...?

To my mind the 928 was a true GT at at time when the 911 was a sports car, awhich in time evolved to incorporate power steering and the rest of the toys to make driving simpler, more comfortable, and safer.

T`would seem to me there may be little doubt that the water cooled versions have become GT`s Compared to the original 911 concept... :?:

I've thought of the Panamera as a closer fit... V8, front engined liftback etc, Should have built a coupe version!

Luddite as a piece of car design. I think the 928 is a masterpiece. Ruined her with spoilers later on. Looks are fabulous even today - timeless if you can get good one.

Early 911 though just as pretty and then the raw sporty feeling and bulletproof reliability by comparison. You need both one for continental touring and one for your b road blast 8)

I can't believe this event was over 4 years ago. They must be due for another one.

---> 150 x 928s in one place

As I typed my friend could and did drive the wheels off his 928. As for an ideal being to have a 928 for long distance cruising, and an air cooled 911 for the "B" roads, my friend took me round the very tight and small race track at Kames many years ago, and it felt as if the car had shrunk given the way he threw it around that circuit, it certainly opened my eyes to that which I thought was a large car by comparison to the 911 of the time. If ever we were out together or in a group... the 928 would ever be right up front and at speed, even on single track roads at a time long before the NC 500 was thought of as a name..

That was some gathering T8, thanks for posting the link... :thumb:

One of my formative experiences with Porsche was in a 928; and as it happens the owner had just replaced a 911; the 928 felt quicker but also definitely felt completely different with that long nose, auto-box, modern interior...

You don't see too many nowadays but there was one up at the annual festival this year - one 928 out of nearly 400 Porsches.

I was once in very late night road race with a few friends in a 944 turbo se, 928 S2 and 911 SC targa circa 1988. Terrifying. Great memories fab and important cars in Porsche history all of them but for me the 928 is the one I'd pick for current use. I'd prefer an auto too 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back