Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Renault Alpine

Anyway Gordon Murray's brother Pub Landloord Al wouldn't like it because it's Fffffrench!

Could be a bit Alfa 4C, buy one, drive it a bit and then get a GT4 :dont know:

spongebob squarepants said:

:grin:

Speaking of Zingari.....he is yet to chip in about french build quality :dont know:

Footnote in case anyone missed it in the week - the French press have reported that the factory that these are made in is a prime candidate for the chop, so if you do want one then you might not have much longer to put in an order before they are discontinued... :?:

They are actually very rare, which by extension means that not many people have put their money where their mouth is on them. It is little surprise that they may not be much longer for the market. That could in future make them collectible, but don't go falling into the trap of thinking that that necessarily will make them valuable.

Carry on chaps. :thumb:

Already been mentioned above.

I drove one a while back, when they first came out, the ride is sublime for a sports car, it felt very light, nimble and the engine had plenty of poke. I don't like turbo engines in general and I didn't really like this especially with the little (fake) puurp noise on gear change, it all sounds a bit childish to me, as it does in most of the hot hatches nowadays.

I did consider, for a short time, moving to one but it did lack the character of a Porsche, getting out of the Alpine back into my 996, I was expecting the 996 to feel ancient but it didn't which was a surprise. I also don't like the old cars styling or the modern interpretation of one.

But saying all of the above it isn't a bad place to be if you fancy a move away from a Porsche.

:hand: Yep the 4C will go down in history as a great car Alfa produced and had to price it at a loss to sell it. Great car, interior trim questionable although the exposed Carbon Fibre is impressive in a 'Liberace meets Jonttt' kind of way :roll: until it meets the cheap plastic on the doors :roll: Personally I'd rather have the CF covered over with quality alcantara as 'bare exposed' interiors remind me of a 1973 Bedford CF van we had as a runabout for taking crap to the tip.

4C was a 90% car for me. That said I doub't they'll dip much below 30 bags (if at all and you could buy new for less than 40) before reaching classic status in 15yrs. Marketing was all wrong. Selling the 4C and the QF/QV etc. in a showroom where you can pick up Great Aunt Nellies Fiat 500 base shopper is a bad idea :what: They didn't understand the customer.

Right now the Alpine. The 80s revival got panned as it had been built on a budget with cheap plastic interior trim that even Mr Wong's Emporium of China would reject! It did have a V6 I suppose. The A110 was an interesting concept. I say WAS as I believe they have just ceased production. It was priced in Cayman territory and couldn't compete over the bird pulling angle "I drive a Renault" doesn't quite cut it over a Porsche does it. Plus Renault developed the same selling strategy as Fiat with the 4C but actually spent around £4.30 on advertising :roll: They couldn't price it any cheaper without losing money.

It's a Renault. Design could be better - backwards or forwards it looks the same. I don't think it's anything special and I'd take a VW Golf GTi/R over it. They tried and clearly failed. Will it be a classic in 15yrs -make up your own mind :nooo:

So you chopping the GT4 in for one then Zingari :dont know:

.....you could buy a 993 with the change :floor:

jonttt said:
So you chopping the GT4 in for one then Zingari :dont know:

.....you could buy a 993 with the change :floor:

I'd rather buy another 70s Bedford CF.

I have seriously considered an Alfa 4C as I have had an Alfa of some sort for more than 30 years. But it seems to be a flawed gem that only wins in the looks stake. Residuals look pretty terrible too.

The Alpine gets rave reviews, residuals seem OK and if the biggest criticism from most is that it's a Renault it sounds like a long term winner to me,

Have you seen how much the original A110 goes for today?

If the 4C had a prancing horse badge on it, you'd be looking at 6 figures. Under rated gem of the future. If they'd built it with the V6, you couldn't buy one under list

Albionmuz said:
I have seriously considered an Alfa 4C as I have had an Alfa of some sort for more than 30 years. But it seems to be a flawed gem that only wins in the looks stake. Residuals look pretty terrible too.

The Alpine gets rave reviews, residuals seem OK and if the biggest criticism from most is that it's a Renault it sounds like a long term winner to me,

Have you seen how much the original A110 goes for today?

Tbf there's also the looks :grin: Sorry :grin:

It gets rave reviews, five drawbacks for me

1. It's a Renault (it's going to beak alot)
2. That front end is hideous (old Vw polo Lights)
3. The interior with a huge stuck on sat nav in the centre, no no no!
4. It's a Renault
5. The back looks like an Audi TT (not a compliment)

They drive very well and are a great alternative to a Cayman.

Renault have come a very long way over the last few years with reliability (3rd or 4th most reliable car in Europe?)

Looks are in the eye of the beholder, I think they look great, the factory I doubt will close, Renault has just been given a government loan. (But we'll have to wait and see)

Nearly 4 years on I have just bought one. I bloody LOVE it. Different class (apart from the infotainment which is more flakey than a flake)

One of just 129 Premier Editions in the UK

IMG_1050.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1049.jpeg
    IMG_1049.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1048.jpeg
    IMG_1048.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
Not a chance, do you know how much a Porsche costs to maintain? ;)

Just for you Sponge with your bias that works for Porsche and Manchester United. You need to loosen up with your bias ;)

I no longer have a Porsche and I won’t be getting another. I think it’s time for me to leave this forum and the PL thread :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
white981gt4
Back