Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rebuild woes...

Chris G said:
Went to see the car yesterday and give the go ahead for the work to go ahead, after a brief flirt with going for a 3.8 build. But cost killed that one for me as I'm generally happy with the car as it is and the £11k it's costing with the RS clutch and flywheel is enough!

As Rob has said the engine was in a bad way. I'm surprised it lasted the 5-6k as well. At a guess its been rattling around in there without issue but has finally been broken down enough to cause an issue. The car drove fine the day I took it in to Unit 11, just sounded horrible, so lucky I heard it and got it in to the guys before more damage was caused.

How the jubilee clip got in there does not matter, it's one of those things and I was expecting to have to get the motor rebuilt at some point anyway. Once the car is back with me I know I'll have a well sorted car as the rest of the car really is in top condition and all the work carried out to a high standard.

I just want it back now, obviously depending on the time it takes for parts to come, I should have it back within 3-4 weeks. Gives me a couple of weeks to give the garage a spruce up I suppose!

Sorry to hear of the problems, but impressed with your attitude. What's done is done, the expense is what it is so look forward to getting a well sorted car back next month. :thumb:

Thanks for words of support.

Car is on 163k I think, but engine is on about 80kish I think.

The car has had a little make over since I bought the car, new tailights and reflector, new wheels and a RUF front splitter, so once back, will be posting some pictures. Been meaning to for ages now

Looking forward to seeing the photos! Bet you can't wait to get her back. Plenty of miles to look forward to!

Chris

Been to see the car today, its coming along nicely, hoping to get it back next week. Need to go back through the history of the car, but thinking a cause of needing a lot of the work was due to metal fragments, from a previous failure, in the oil tank/cooler etc. Not sure if these were replaced when this engine was dropped in, so could have had metal fragments from the bearings failing last time and thats just been circulated round again causing more damage.

But for now, roll on next week! I can't wait

Attachments

• img_9760_564.jpg
    img_9760_564.jpg
    994 KB · Views: 9,841
Hopefully picking the car up on Monday. But with a blown LHS heat exchanger as well now.

That good attitude to the car and all this work has now gone! Well and truly!

If anyone knows someone who has a decent LHS heat exchanger for sale, please contact me

I saw that this afternoon Chris, its annoying to say the least after all that you've been through and fixed. There are a few systems over in the states on ebay at reasonable prices but I cant help thinking that the rear exhaust box being so resonant is not helping matters. Two systems failed in the same area is more than a coincidence :?:

Maybe? It is a loud system, wonder if other people who run it with standard heat exchangers suffer?

Not sure what to do now, don't see the point in buying second hand heat exchangers again. Can't afford other options really, but able to borrow more money! So might just have to bite the bullet and go for it.

Any recommendations on aftermarket full systems with heat exchangers? Design 911 list the standard LHS heat exchanger at £3k with VAT.

Not what I need to do when my boiler packed in last weekend too. Fed up of saying this has got to be it now haha

Hayward Scott.full system stainless steel just under 3k.
One of the best get them to fit each car is not the same fitting wise.
Sold my old standard system for £1200 so not a bad deal.

Hayward and Scott was the system I was looking at, looks like its £2.1k with VAT?

http://www.haywardandscott.com/porsche/911/964/porsche-964-complete-system-twin-outlet.html

Not heard one of these systems and don't want to buy something thats going to drone or be as loud as what I've got now. The system I've got at the minute peaks at 116dB. In the cabin was around 90dB+ if I remember rightly

That system looks good Rob, worst case for that, using the import figures and postage on the advert, its £760 to my door before any other work or parts. Talking another £300+ for other parts maybe, plus a couple of hours labour and its over £1k?

Then I could be in the same position in a year or two. And I'd need to address the LHS side of my rear bumper or get a mock tailpipe fitted.

Going to mull my options over the next few days, spend less now but risk being in the same position in a year or two or spend a lot more now and know that the system will be good for a long time. Usually I'd go for the second option without a doubt, don't like throwing good money after bad, but already taking a big hit on my finances!

Thanks for the advice though all, really do appreciate it!

Some of those US systems look almost new. California cars always have less rust because of the climate so I dont see it as a short term solution, not at all.
Swapping the exhaust would take 30 minutes as yours is fresh on. I doubt the guys would even charge you. The second pipe issue is just cosmetic until a bumper piece can be sourced. Personally I would probably go this route but there is a place in Macclesfield that John knows who did a lovely bespoke system (customer called Finlay) at very reasonable cost that I would explore.
Turbo Thomas in the midlands is another who could build a system, I know Chief on here talks highly of his work. I have a TT cat bypass muffler on my C2.

Thats true Rob. No doubt that system will be one of the better available.

Will mull it over and speak to the guys on Monday, I should still be picking the car up providing Jon can patch up the system for now. I was really excited about getting the car back and now I'm not. Because I know I'm not picking it up 100% perfect and theres still something to sort out

I have a complete system if you're interested - H&S rear box but twin pipes - noise tested at around 104Db comes with additional bungs if you want it quieter. Heat exhangers off a 90K mile car that spent its first 20 years in Japan and so in very good condition. Unit 11 know my car as they did the engine rebuild.

One reason I went for H/S good reputation, plus any problems later on they are in the UK.
Buy a overseas system, could come with problems.
After two years still the right choice.

The sound is a nice growl not OTT. Workmanship is excellent.

PindiXpress said:
I have a complete system if you're interested - H&S rear box but twin pipes - noise tested at around 104Db comes with additional bungs if you want it quieter. Heat exhangers off a 90K mile car that spent its first 20 years in Japan and so in very good condition. Unit 11 know my car as they did the engine rebuild.

I might be interested in the heat exchangers, have you got any pictures of them and would you be willing to separate the system?

I'm looking at exchangers from the States now instead of going down the after market systems.

As Rob has said, the US systems look pretty clean, so hoping getting one from there will get me a good system that will last. I've had 2 LHS exchangers go in the same place this year, maybe the Fabspeed dual outlet is having an effect, stressing old welds and causing them to crack.

I've got the car back now, impressed with the RS clutch and flywheel. I'm sure once the exhaust is sorted and the summer is back, I'll fall in love with the car again.

Total bill was around £13,500 for those interested in cost of top and bottom rebuild with pistons and cylinders, RS clutch and flywheel, new oil tank, new oil pump and new oil cooler.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back