Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Putting 996 OEM GT3 Shocks, on a 996 C2

Trainee
Looking for any information on putting my 996 GT3 shocks on to my 996 C2. Struts off a 2004 GT3 with 40Kmiles, dry as a bone no weeps, however look like they've been to the bottom of the ocean. I've found various information, ranging from the will bolt straight in with no changes through to I'll need to change sway bar/ drop links to accommodate. I'm just about to pull the pin and send them direct to Bilstein UK ( any experience of this) to be professionally refurbed. Regarding all other hardware I'd prefer to keep the cost down to start with and improve as there on the car. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Try search function as I and a few other have asked on this. IIRC its the top mounts at the front that are the biggest hurdle. There are options available but your looking at another chuck of change for them.

If you are getting them rebuilt then thats not going to be cheap either I bet.

There is also the fact that the original suspension would have been designed 20+ years ago so for the money (unless you got them very cheap) you would be better with the likes of new KW, Bilstein or Ohlins.

Sorry if its sounds like Im pissing on your parade but when I looked into it there was better options available.

Thanks Coullstar, re the top mounts they've got all top mounts, fronts are near new OEM mono ball items with only a couple K's on them and research suggests these to be all good.
Yeah could have gone with new low end coil overs, but new tech soon becomes old tech and what with Olhins issues recently. My understanding there were only cira 350 996 GT3 RHD. I think it'll be pretty cool have original GT3 setup in a tidy C2! Plus back in the day the way 996 GT3 drove was one of its strengths. Figured worst case owners might want them back for originality when prices become ridiculous and I'll swap for newer then!
I'll see it through to the end and others can reference this is they wish to do the same :thumb:

Ah right if they have top mounts then all good as that saves a lot of hassle. If they rebuild isnt too bad then you should be okay.

Only other thing IIRC is the drop links but they should be easy enough to change out. Also depends on how low you want to go and getting the geo set up properly afterwards as might need adjustable rear arms. Theres another big thread all about that as well.

You'll need alternative (shorter IIRC) ARB drop links, don't buy the OE items, rather buy and build your own adjustable items from here :

Rod ends (buy the best you can afford) :

https://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/mcgill-rod-ends-b-2

Turnbuckles (you'll need M8 items and locknuts along with alignment spacers) :

The link to the relevant webpage doesn't work, so go to "Rod End bearings" page and scroll down to "Adjustable Linkages"

You may also need adjustable rear toe links due to the reduced ride height that could mean you run out of toe adjustment.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhaApex
Back