Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Puncture repair

Super_Ray

Trainee
Afternoon all.

So went out today to get a slow puncture on the rear off side fixed. Didnt really want to take the car to the garage so whipped the wheel off and upon first inspection there were no issues. Upon closer inspection I found a previous repair which was the likely culprit.

So I took this down expecting an easy fix but "no" the chap said unlikely to be repaired but he would try and said to come back in an hour. Returned to find they had attempted to repair but as expected the previous repair had been "overdrilled" and the plug wasn't holding.

I cant believe that 6mm is the only plug in existence and that globally we are scrapping really expensive even bigger tyres like on HGVs because the puncture is bigger than 6mm. I realise there has to be a limit so maybe 6mm is that limit?

The tyre is a PS2 fitted summer 2020 with less that 2000 miles on it and seems a shame to scrap a fresh £200 tyre.

Any ideas who could repair or is it scrap?

cheers, Ray

6mm is the maximum legally allowed for a puncture repair on a car tyre. Completely different rules apply to HGV tyres.

If your into repairing tyres then you can stick 2-3 of the plug repairs they sell on eBay in a hole and they will hold with the glue provided. I have done this to get home, they do hold and don't lose pressure.

But would you really want want to travel at speed on something that has been repaired like that :dont know:

Not for me thanks

Winny

T8 said:
6mm is the maximum legally allowed for a puncture repair on a car tyre. Completely different rules apply to HGV tyres.

Thanks for your reply, sounds like I it's scrap

Winny911 said:
If your into repairing tyres then you can stick 2-3 of the plug repairs they sell on eBay in a hole and they will hold with the glue provided. I have done this to get home, they do hold and don't lose pressure.

But would you really want want to travel at speed on something that has been repaired like that :dont know:

Not for me thanks

Winny

It's a puncture repair I didn't realise I had -previous owner must have instigated. I don't have an issue with a repair on my run around but wouldn't knowingly have one for an extended period on the Porsche. Black circles have PS2 for less than £200 at the moment which doesn't seem too bad.

Cheers Ray

On the bright side, assuming the other tyre is equally new and unworn, you can get away without replacing the pair. Consider having them swapped side to side though as the near side is likely to wear ever so slightly quicker (roundabouts).

Griffter said:
On the bright side, assuming the other tyre is equally new and unworn, you can get away without replacing the pair. Consider having them swapped side to side though as the near side is likely to wear ever so slightly quicker (roundabouts).

yes the NSR was changed at the same time - I like this idea :thumb:

Bear in mind that many tyres are 'directional' so you can't swap wheels 'side to side', you will have to get the tyres refitted to rotate in the right direction.

maldren said:
Bear in mind that many tyres are 'directional' so you can't swap wheels 'side to side', you will have to get the tyres refitted to rotate in the right direction.

Yes, I was aware - job for the tyre fitter :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back