Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSE or not?

Dean Fern

Considering a PSE for my 996 C4S. I know OPC doing a deal on them at mo so seriously considering. Is this a good add on? how does the switch work as I see some have not fitted this? would OPC fit one without the switch if that is a better option?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128404

Yes! Where in the Midlands are you as you could hear one in person if you are close by.

The switch activates a vacuum that opens and closes a baffle inside the cans. By default the cans are open (ie. noisy), applying the vacuum closes them making them sound quieter - still a little different to the standard exhaust however.

I've for the last 3 years run without the switch but for selling purposes decided to fit the necessary gubbins to make it switchable. Not a difficult job if you can remove your rear PU, read a wiring diagram and know what to do with the relay board. Word to the wise don't connect the pink and gray wire......it's the speedo feed, you don't want the exhaust quieten itself between 30-50mph do you?

An essential option!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128406

Take a look at the thread on here (page2 on 996 forum) called "original Exhaust parts for sale" - started by db. This maybe of interest - depending on what you are trying to do. I have just got a set of these cheap PSE alternatives and can add my vouch for the good quality of the modded mufflers. Very easy purchase too through Paypal, took about a week to arrive.

Food for thought ...maybe...!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128418

A really good option - and the OPC will fit it without a switch - and for quite a bit cheaper. The other options are:

Avoid RSRs from Gert at Carnewal I had them and they were awful, took them off

Try

EBay modded mufflers - a few have them on here and they also sound much better than standard.

Both other options are around �300, not sure about PSE without switch , but �1500 with.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128442

No decision IMHO. PSE everytime. I have without switch and without 30-44mph quiet 'bit'.

the best option on my car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128445

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by F1_Dragon on 28 March 2007

No decision IMHO. PSE everytime. I have without switch and without 30-44mph quiet 'bit'.

the best option on my car.
Your car did sound great with it for sure. :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128446

Hi DamianC4s, do you have the switchable mufflers then? (Just not wired to a switch?) I have a 2002 C4s with the PSE but no switch.

Do you think I'd be able to add the switch? - I guess it depends on the mufflers is there anyway to tell if they are of the type that can be silenced with the vacuum.

I had an email conversation with Carnewal a while back who thought it wasn't possible to retro fit - though he sells a kit? Which puzzled me.

Perhaps there is a part number on the mufflers which would give a definitive answer?

FYI/ I find having the PSE on all the time quite tiresome - there are some days when I just want to get from A-B with no excitment. But with the PSE every drive is an event - its also bad for my gas milage as I find I probably / subconciously keep one gear lower than I should just to keep the volume up :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128449

Yes I do have switchable cans! If you take a picture of your engine bay to the right of the throttle body I can tell you if you've got the PSE components (ie. vacuum actuator) installed. Question, does the car 'mute' itself in the 30-45mph range? If it does you've got all the bits in place just the missing the switch.

The switch is actually a good few hours installation work and the kit Carnewal sells is missing a parts (ie. actuator bracket and Y piece).

I've got all the instructions, the FAQ etc if anyone wants to do it.

Damian

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128620

I read somewhere that the PSE causes a sharp drop in fuel consumption and a stiff neck... from driving around with the windows open nailing it at every opportunity!

Having had the PSE with the switch installed on mine I can certainly agree with the above! Best mod I ever had done on any car.

It is actually very good having the switch as you can shut it up when you're not in the mood, early morning/late night stealth ops, or overtaking horses. You get rid of another blank switch on the dash too which is nice...

As Damian says, make sure that the bit which shuts it up automatically between 30-50 is left unconnected.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128824

Going slightly off-piste. I have ordered factory fit PSE on me new 997. Is this switchable - whatever that means?!?!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128830

Agree totally with Robert. My MPG dropped by over 20% after I had the PSE fitted on my Targa. Well worth it though :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128832

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Jamie on 29 March 2007

Going slightly off-piste. I have ordered factory fit PSE on me new 997. Is this switchable - whatever that means?!?!
Yep - it will be jamie. You will know by the little switch on the centre consol.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128833

I've got the switchable PSE which sounds great, I'm just a bit confused about the automatic quiet 30-50mph bit - how do you disable this? Is it an (easy) re-wiring job?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129849

Tony - I think Indie's can do this. Otherwise I am pretty sure there is a DIY on Renntech somewhere.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129851

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shofwan_khilmi
Back