Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Prepare for 991 GT3 freefall - manuals on their way!

nick w said:
Disco said:
General footnote for this thread though. Even though manuals are likely coming, that doesn't necessarily mean that many of the people who end up actually being allocated cars will specify it. I'd be surprised if manuals even made up a quarter of the production personally... :?:

I couldn't agree with you more. I seems to me pretty clear that Porsche were
targeting a new audience (Ferrari, McLaren peddlers, amongst others)with the
introduction of the PDK 991 GT3. Dinosaurs like us who rather like having the
optional third pedal are now very much in the minority...

And yes, I did very much want a manual 991 RS !

:wink:

Did you ever get anywhere with the R ?

And no doubt there won't be enough to go round, the forums will be full of bitching that despite getting LOI's in, people are not getting what they want, and the overs crew will be raking it in. :dont know:

Bigfra said:
nick w said:
Disco said:
General footnote for this thread though. Even though manuals are likely coming, that doesn't necessarily mean that many of the people who end up actually being allocated cars will specify it. I'd be surprised if manuals even made up a quarter of the production personally... :?:

No phone call or contact on it whatsoever... :nooo:

kingston said:
Disco said:
Comparatively (in the long term) the newer cars are likely to be a red herring.

In the long term the manual older cars will become obsolete as driverless cars are introduced and subsequent laws that eventually stop non-automated cars from using the same road.

I disagree. There's an ethical dilemma around driver-less cars and the first successful court win proving the car 'killed' it's occupants instead of plowing into a row of pedestrians will see the halt of automation. Would you buy a car knowing that it was programmed to drive you into a wall to save occupants+1 lives?

Stuart said:
kingston said:
Disco said:

In the long term the manual older cars will become obsolete as driverless cars are introduced and subsequent laws that eventually stop non-automated cars from using the same road.

I disagree. There's an ethical dilemma around driver-less cars and the first successful court win proving the car 'killed' it's occupants instead of plowing into a row of pedestrians will see the halt of automation. Would you buy a car knowing that it was programmed to drive you into a wall to save occupants+1 lives?

A whole new revenue stream for Superchips...

Anyway, by the time we have nothing but driveless cars on the road we will have judgeless courts...who actually asked for a driverless car anyway? I must have been out when they came round doing the survey.

nick w said:
Bigfra said:
nick w said:
Disco said:

No phone call or contact on it whatsoever... :nooo:

Oh well, I should count myself DAMN lucky that I got a phone call at least :nooo: :frustrated:

Stuart said:
kingston said:
Disco said:

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this as it hasnt stopped people driving cars after mechanical failures killing its occupants.

A counter to your ethical dilemma is though so you would rather plow into the pedestrians to save your own life than the life of those in the que (in a normal car)?

The infrastructure is being tendered for now, 5g rolls out in 4 years and i believe is meant to help with it all. Volvo has a new system out that aids drivers in turning corners (what the titty ***** is that about), Ford have cars that can self park etc. Michelin(?) have a sphere tyre (not sure if it was an ad from a film or actually pr material as looked very irobot) that talks to other cars about road conditions etc.

Hopefully it just means that the doddering pricks are banned from the B roads so we can progress at the NSL without being stuck behind them doing 30/40 everywhere

kingston said:
A counter to your ethical dilemma is though so you would rather plow into the pedestrians to save your own life than the life of those in the que (in a normal car)?

It wouldn't be your ethical dilemma though - it is one for the legal team at a software company. If the car drives itself, the ethics will not be the owners choice but rather those of whoever is ultimately underwriting the Insurance liability. This is not necessarily even the people who made the car.

I still think that you are both looking at this from the wrong direction. It isn't an ethical problem so much as one of liability when you are considering self driving cars. It doesn't matter whether it is the families of occupants of people in a fatal car crash or those of people mowed down in preference kerbside by the automated car. Either way : someone is going to sue the person who wrote the software.

Either self driving cars get so good that an accident where anybody is hurt is lottery win rare or self driving cars aren't going to go mainstream. Sure they will happen eventually, but the first setting of a legal precedent could set them back 20 years. They may not actually be as close as they currently look. Manufacturers will not sell a product which confers to them unlimited liability - no matter how clever they think it is. There is also a lot of legislation around the situation that is missing everywhere and which will need some kind of global standardisation for product to go truly mass market.

Time will tell.

Anyone noticed that the 991 GT3's don't sell that well with the inflated prices?

considering that alot of GT's with manual boxes arent shifting, probably not

Yeah, none of the cars are shifting at all yet some of the more mental GT3RS cars with the mega premium's like the one's at JZM seem to be moving. I suppose with all these types of cars if you have the means and are looking for one they will go. Check this one at RPM

http://www.rpmtechnik.co.uk/sales/vehicle/997-gt3-rs-3-8-2/

As much as it is AWESOME at that price it may sit for a while.

The RPM car is sold....

Almost. It says "Reserved" :judge:

There's still chance the buyer might not be able to sort the finances and lose the deposit

... Blimey .. Check me out, clearly having a glass half full day (not)...

Roro said:
Almost. It says "Reserved" :judge:

There's still chance the buyer might not be able to sort the finances and lose the deposit

... Blimey .. Check me out, clearly having a glass half full day (not)...

If the buyer pulls out are you going to swoop in? :lol:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back