Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Possible new 964 owner with some questions

Alxd912

Silverstone
HI all and firstly sorry if I'm repeating lots of questions and i hope not to upset people with this newbie questions.

Just came back from looking at a 91 C2 and would like to ask a couple of questions.

The onboard computer stalk on the steering arm is very loose, meaning there feels like there is no resistance when moving it up. It does work though.
Is this normal for that control?

After the car had been driven and stopped there was a sound coming from the dash area that sounded a bit like a clock that was stuck. After some Secs/mins is stopped?
Normal or not?

There a couple of buttons I have no idea what they do. One is push switch to the right of the ignition (see picture)

Driver door hinge pins have gone. Are they expensive to replace, DIY job or Garage?

It has some nematic controls on the side of the driver seat to pump it up in the back area? I haven't seen pictures of this before. Was it an optional extra or after market add-on? (See attached)

Slight wobble at lower speeds from the steering wheel. Other than wheel balancing (it just had new tyres fitted) is there any common known issues that it could be?

Oil gauges seem to work correctly but the oil level gauge was right at the top and dropped a little when driven. He told me that he had just changed the oil and oil filter.
What should the dial be showing if correct or is this correct? I did read some articles and I got the impression it should be in the middle?
If too much oil how easy is it to drain some?

I tried to see if it had the distributor vent kit but I couldn't see anything that looked like the pictures I have seen on the net. (See attached)
Engine has 200,000 Km and wondered could there be problems with the belt now?

The windscreen has a wire strip in the center of the screen, is this the original antenna for the radio as it has one on the roof?

One thing I did note was that from the engine bay the rocker covers seemed clean and no oil around them. Good sign or Normal?

Thanks for all your help.

Alex

controls with button above top right of ignition switch and cruise control

Attachments

• controls_copy_135.jpg
    controls_copy_135.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 5,804
On wheel wobble: check tyre pressures. I get wobble when my pressures are a few psi different on the front. Happened when I first got my car and I was worried. Checked the pressures, evened them up, and all was fine.

Yes the vent kit is fitted. It's the bottom tube in your pic.

Sound from the dash is the air sampling fan for the climate control unit still running. This can run for quite a long time after switching off the ignition and is perfectly normal.

The switch above the ignition is either to operate the sunroof or toggle between the electric mirrors (I'm not sure which it is because your car is is LHD so they're in a different place compared to a RHD).

You can ONLY read the oil level with the engine idling when parked on level ground. It doesn't make any sense when operating the throttle/driving.

The other problem I spotted in the pics is that your clutch pedal is missing. :grin:

The seats look to have the full electric option pack including heating :thumb:

Sounds like oil is overfilled as the gauge should show nothing until engine is hot and stationary ticking over in which case it will activate to give a reading.

Thanks guys for your answers.

The switch must be for the mirrors as we found the sunroof but couldn't switch the mirrors from left to right.

So it sounds like there is too much oil if it's at the top of the gauge when being driven then?
Is it easy to drain some?
Will it cause any damage if the car is driven some 400km

Glad vent kit is fitted and noise is normal:)

So is the full electric seat pack common or not?

Thanks again and hope I can get some comments on the other questions as well.

Alex

Alxd912 said:
Thanks guys for your answers.

The switch must be for the mirrors as we found the sunroof but couldn't switch the mirrors from left to right.

So it sounds like there is too much oil if it's at the top of the gauge when being driven then?
Is it easy to drain some?
Will it cause any damage if the car is driven some 400km

Glad vent kit is fitted and noise is normal:)

So is the full electric seat pack common or not?

Thanks again and hope I can get some comments on the other questions as well.

Alex

I wouldnt make any judgement on oil level until she's warmed through and sat on level ground with engine running. As Boxsey says, this is the only way to get a true reading.

Use the gauge and the dipstick (to confirm gauge is accurate). These cars can be easily overfilled if you dont take the time to get it right :)

Last thing - your roof mounted arial must be a retro-fit. Either the standard one is not conected / knackered or it was for a phone etc?

Good luck with your search :)

Chris

To re-enforce the points again made by Zingari, Deutchland Dobson and myself.....please take a reading of the oil level with it sat on level ground at idle before you start taking any oil out.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back