Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Vehicle Tracking System: Activation and Fobs???

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are other companies that fit the same kit as porsche fit ie the Cobra now known under a vodaphone name (they bought out cobra). I think from memory they quote c£600 to fit. The subscription cost to Vodaphone is the same whoever fits it. The important think for Insurance is that its a thatcham approved system, many of the cheaper options are not.

I'm having to do it as its a requirement on our blanket car policy for cars worth over £x. Fortunately it was optioned by Porsche on my car (car was specced up by the dealership not a customer) and I have the fobs so I'm just waiting for vodaphone to call me to pay the subscription fee today.

Thanks Jon.
I'll speak with Vodafone and see what they say.
I'd prefer to keep it OEM really but the system does sound like a PITA at times from other people's perspective.
I wonder if Vodaphone automotive can fit the remaining part and tie the whole thing in with a subscription package too :lol:

Forget the Vodaphone/Cobra tracker system...
Stupid and dated system as you need to carry around the daft 'card/fob' which isn't small nor discreet, also cannot keep it on the same key ring with the car keys, and cannot keep it in the car either..
So you need to always remember to take it with you when going out in the car and keep it separate!

The original 'Tracker System' does not require you to use any card/fob or anything of such!

http://www.tracker.co.uk

Someone on this site was doing a mutli buy of a tracker for 911 UK members and if I remember rightly it was under a £100 with lifetime activation.
Technology has moved on so much since these cars were developed that most items are well out of date.
When I called ' Vodafone' they quoted me £235.00 for a years registration which is a crazy price to pay.

:thumb:

Thats what I'm after. Now that technology has moved on surely there must be systems out now that are cheaper per annum and that also offer live tracking via a smartphone.
I've tried a little research and if I'm honest I haven't a clue what to go for!
I know one thing, it will have to be Insurance approved.
Thanks guys
:thumb:

Just purchased a tracker from Rewire Security. £89.99. Has numerous options. £5 added every 90 days to a sim. £10 annual subscription to a tracking portal. Can be hard wired or has a two month life battery. Great support from a uk supplier. Does everything you need a tracker to do and you are in control. The battery option is ideal to get around any OPC warranty issues. Great product at a great price that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. It has additional gps and GSM aerials but if have found it works without them from in the car inside my garage.got it set up with a gel fence and low battery warning via email although texts are an option.

I have just bought a 997 gen 2 from Porsche and need the tracker activated for my Insurance .

The original one Vodaphone said wouldn't work, Porsche have fitted two new ones and I have rang Vodaphone again tonight and they say they still can't find the car ?

Porsche say it's Vodaphone, they say Porsche trackers must be faulty I am at a loss now to know what to do other than speak to Reading and shout .

I find it hard to understand how three trackers can all be faulty .

easternjets said:
Someone on this site was doing a mutli buy of a tracker for 911 UK members and if I remember rightly it was under a £100 with lifetime activation.
Technology has moved on so much since these cars were developed that most items are well out of date.
When I called ' Vodafone' they quoted me £235.00 for a years registration which is a crazy price to pay.

Nick if you can find that thread mate I wouldnt mind a read of it :thumb:

Nimrod said:
I have just bought a 997 gen 2 from Porsche and need the tracker activated for my Insurance .

The original one Vodaphone said wouldn't work, Porsche have fitted two new ones and I have rang Vodaphone again tonight and they say they still can't find the car ?

Porsche say it's Vodaphone, they say Porsche trackers must be faulty I am at a loss now to know what to do other than speak to Reading and shout .

I find it hard to understand how three trackers can all be faulty .

Im also a little confused here .. did they fit x2 fobs or actually the tracker unit ?

The way it works .. if the original unit cant be seen by Cobra / vodaphone then you replace the unit (OPC does this ) .. the mechanic then activates it by phoneing Cobra and doing a system test .. car then goes back to the customer who sets up payment plan etc .

IF the OPC has fitted a new Tracker then it must work as they have already phoned Cobra to confirm this .

I can think of several faults that would stop a system working but NOT after an OPC has been doing this work .... well unless they have no idea how to fit an older type tracker unit which i struggle to belive .

Ok .. is the car in an underground carpark ?? if so then thats the problem or sometimes just a lot of high rise buildings can mask the signal .. its only a mobile phone message after all .

Thanks for the reply Demort.

The car had an a tracker that was never activated and Vodaphone couldn't find it.

The OPC replaced it and again it couldn't connect so they have apparently fitted a second new one today .

I rang Vodaphone as the OPC said they were waiting for them to connect and do their diagnostics. Vodaphone tried to connect as said it still wouldn't communicate and they must have fitted another faulty tracker .

I feel like I am piggy in the middle and somebody is not telling the truth .
Either the OPC are in competent, very unlucky in fitting two new faulty trackers or Vodaphone are lying .

The car is in their workshop but I presume they have activated them in their before .

I had to have the tracker 'fixed" under warranty when I got my BGTS last year. It had been fitted new as an option when the car was new in 2014 and activated then but had not been used for 2 years.

I had to return the car to an OPC for the warranty work as vodaphone could not see it.

It was a 2 day job as they had to remove one of the seats and that required replacement nuts or bolts to refit the seat :roll:

I was simply handed the car back and then had to contract vodaphone again to activate. At first they could not 'see" it again as it was in an underground car park at work. I had to drive the car out and start the ignition for them to see it whilst I was in the car. It then worked fine.

Don't bother with it its a rip off, fobs, subscription & had to get new one fitted by OPC in my case, then found Insurance with out & cancelled after two years.
You don't want it back if it gets stolen neither.

we have to have Cat5 or 6 tracker for Insurance in the UK a lot of the new cheap trackers aren't

my tracker came alive on a 997 after being off for 4 years by a indie as the OPC could not do it!
R

Hamster75 said:
Don't bother with it its a rip off, fobs, subscription & had to get new one fitted by OPC in my case, then found Insurance with out & cancelled after two years.
You don't want it back if it gets stolen neither.

This ^^

Trackers and fobs are a royal PITA. Avoid if possible. Wife has one for the Macan and every time I jump in it off to wherever, everyone's phone starts going off with a SWAT team on the line.

Refuse to have one for the 911 and come renewal time I'll drop it from the Macan too. As said, if either car gets nicked, I'd prefer they stay nicked. Forever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhaApex
Back