Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche OEM SSK (Short Shift Kit)

Space Cadet

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi, has anyone fitted the OEM SSK?

My gear-knob is very floppy in both axis, thought about fitting an after-market bush upgrade kit but also quite fancy reducing the throw a little, so the OEM kit makes perfect sense!

Have got my head around how to fit it, but there seems to be a lot of onus put on marking the old cables so as to fit them in the same position in the new "housing" (cant think of a better description). What relevance would this be??

Am I over-complicating things or do I just connect the old cables to the new housing??

As far as I am aware the SSK comes with a green plastic 'tool' that I think keeps the gearstick in a particular position, but not sure what relevance this has to the cables??

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks Mark

I fitted an after market short shift kit along with new selector cables and did an oil change...now tight as!!

Thanks, did you have any issues connecting the new cables to the kit?

Or setting them up once fitted??

I've seen somewhere a video of someone removing their standard kit (so as to fit new bushes) and then re-installing it and there was a section about how they needed to mark the position (or may be length) of the cables so as to put them back in the kit correctly...

May be I'm worrying about nothing.

So basically is the new kit just a plug n play, or do i need to worry about setting it/the old cables up once its installed??

Leave in neutral line up in the centre pretty simple

The Porsche 997 version is approx 15% shorter than the standard version, this still feels a little too long to me, but some people prefer this.

The cheapo ebay SSK's tend to have some play.
Function first & Numeric make some which are supposed to be good, but I
can't speak from experience.

Alex on this forum provides some modified ebay SSK's which are a great alternative. Used by many members here. For details/reviews see:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=127355

Note the "green" tool won't fit over some SSK's, in which case the only option is to use it with a standard shifter to ensure your old lever is properly aligned first, then mark the cable positions before swapping over to the SSK. This will ensure they are properly aligned with the SSK. If it isn't you might find some play or it's harder to engage some gears.

I replaced the ebay kit fitted by a previous owner, with one of Alex's modded kits & a 997 shift knob several years ago. After a gearbox oil change at the last service, for me, this is close to perfect, but it'll get Alex's updated ball-end sleeve & some "heavyknobs" weights added soon.

When I removed and refitted my shifter (after fitting a Function First Shift-Right bushing kit which removes the slop of which you speak, but retains the OE shift, which I like) I did not need to do anything other than clip the cables back on.

You must have the gearbox in neutral before you start disassembly. That leaves the 'N-S' and 'E-W' cables at the correct lengths for neutral.

When you reconnect these cables to the new shift mechanism the position of the gear lever will therefore be in neutral. The only thing the green bracket thing does is hold the lever in the 'right' position for this selection. It doesn't have any effect on freeplay or throw etc.

If you don't have the green thing then it is useful to have a third hand to hold the stick in the right place while you clip in the cables. It is not impossible to do it all without the green bracket if necessary.

Whatever you do - don't move the cables themselves in case you accidentally select something other than neutral.

Whilst the gearbox is in neutral, hold the lever in the vertical position in both axes and reclamp the cables. Simple as that.

I went for 997 GT3 option... a little bit of kudos in my humble 996 coupe.

Attachments

• 3d861e82_464d_4d0d_92f7_4a6d7f0366e6_178.jpeg
    3d861e82_464d_4d0d_92f7_4a6d7f0366e6_178.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 790
I would totally recommend Alex's "own brand" SSK.

It was the best mod that I ever did to my C4S.

:)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back