Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche efuels - up yours, electric cars!

Roro

Sebring
Found this article from Autocar the other day, but I remember reading something similar elsewhere maybe a month ago (in Evo perhaps)

Why isn't this work being more widely publicised? Sounds like very good news to me

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/porsche-begin-producing-synthetic-fuels-2022

Porsche to begin producing synthetic fuels in 2022
Dedicated plant will produce sustainable fuel for existing combustion-engined Porsche models

Porsche fuel filler cap
Felix Page Autocar writer
NEWS
by Felix Page
3 mins read
16 February 2021

Porsche sports car boss Frank Walliser said the company is aiming to begin trials of its own synthetic fuel next year, and that it will be compatible with unmodified combustion engines.

Speaking ahead of the unveiling of the new 911 GT3, he said: "We are on track, together with our partners in South America. For sure, in 2022, it will be very, very small volume for the first trials.

"It's a long road with huge investment, but we are sure that this is an important part of our global effort to reduce the CO2 impact of the transportation sector."

Last year, the company announced partnerships with energy firms Siemens Energy, AME and Enel and the Chilean petroleum company ENAP, with the ambition of developing a plant for the commercial production of synthetic fuels, or e-fuels, on an industrial scale. The first stage, called Haru Oni, was set to use southern Chile's 'excellent" wind conditions to produce synthetic fuel with the aid of wind power.

The plant is set to be in operation by 2022, and will ramp up to producing 55 million litres of synthetic fuel by 2024, and roughly ten times that amount by 2026. Porsche CEO Oliver Blume outlined the motive for the project: 'Their advantages lie in their ease of application: e-fuels can be used in combustion engines and plug-in hybrids, and can make use of the existing network of filling stations."

That has now been echoed by Walliser, who explained: "The general idea behind these synthetic fuels is that there is no change to the engine necessary, unlike what we have seen with E10 and E20, so really, everybody can use it, and we are testing with the regular specs of pump fuel."

"It has no impact on performance - some horses more, so it's going in the right direction - but emissions are way better; we see less particles, less NOx - so that's going in the right direction".

While Porsche is investing heavily in electrification - with hybrid versions of the Panamera and Cayenne, as well as the fully electric Taycan family - using synthetic fuels could be used to bring the emissions of its existing fleet down. Blume has also previously spoken of a desire to see synthetic fuels extend the life of the purely combustion-engined 911 until the end of the decade.

Walliser outlined the benefits: "Synthetic fuels have around 8-10 components, where today's fuels have between 30 and 40. As it's an artificial, synthetic fuel, you have no by-products, so it's way cleaner - everything positive for the engine.

"At full scale, we expect a reduction in the CO2 impact of around 85%. If you consider well-to-wheel, where we have to transport fuel, we have a global supply chain, everything around that - you have efficiency across the whole process. In a well-to-wheel consideration, it is on the same level as an electric car."

Porsche sibling brands Volkswagen and Bentley have also discussed the use of e-fuels as a means of sustaining their combustion-engined offering, while McLaren COO Jens Ludman last year revealed that the firm was working on a protoype to demonstrate the feasibility of the technology.

Good news doesn't get publicised, only doom and gloom.

Neither does revenue from alternative fuels, not like carbon tax will.

Good news for enthusiasts who want to continue using their ICE cars once fossil fuels are restricted. I don't see this is a way of producing ICE cars long into the future, certainly not a volume model anyway.

The whole motor industry and Gov need a rethink. Going hell for leather with a pipe dream and not project planning correctly is just gonna end up an expensive disaster that solves nothing.

Yes, this is very good news. I feel the main reason for the relative silence from the media is because they're so invested in promoting (brainwashing?) the supposed 'inevitable' decline in combustion engines and the move to electric, that they don't want the moulded public to be distracted or to allow any doubt into their minds that there may be an alternative. Where the clearly powerful influence for this thought management is from is another matter, but it seems to align with the lack of further discussion or opposing views on 'climate change' on main stream media.

I wonder what the cost per litre will be ? Initially high k guess but if the benefits are there for reducing co2 and being easier to produce it should be beneficial to reducing global warming.

It's probably not getting noticed as everyone is going electric. That said if you are doing 3-5 or even upto 10-15 mile journeys in your car, an electric car is better for you. As doing these short trips in a petrol or diesel would eventually choke up or lead to component failures.

I was reading about this too recently and was encouraged, definitely a chink of light for the ICE. I also saw that this was on the table for the F1 crowd.

I do wonder what synthetic actually means in this (or any other) context.

Is anything synthetic? There are elements existing on the planet. If we manipulate them any which way they still started on the planet and will never leave it either. They remain in some form or another. Much like carbon. Trees die and turn to coal turn to oil gets refined to fuel , gets burnt and turns back into carbon. Trees breath it and round we go. V power doesn't grow in a field...it's 'constructed" from elements and formulated in a laboratory so you could argue it's already a 'synthetic ' fuel.

Hopefully some with a bigger brain can explain it for me :floor:

Very good news and I hope it comes to fruition and is successful both for cars and bikes!

Just saw that article too, it seems a cut n shut of the autocar article, but that's no bad thing. Good to see the news is being picked up in more mainstream media. Other manufacturers seem a little quiet, I would expect others like Ferrari to be into this some way. A partnership of sorts between manufacturers would be the obvious way forward in my mind, but that will face all sorts of issues itself no doubt. I would guess there are huge IP rights that Porsche wouldn't want to share for financial reasons, could be an extremely profitable manoeuvre for the manufacturer that successfully creates and brings this fuel to market

I would've thought Porsche are the test bed and development centre for all of this with the intention of rolling out through the VAG group. If any car manufacturer seems to be taking any sensible action with regards to man-made CO2 reduction it's them.

Audi also investing in developing giant direct air capture machines to combat the issue:

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en...ore-co2-from-the-atmosphere-underground-13095

Taken from that article:

By 2025, the Volkswagen Group wants to reduce the ecological footprint of cars and light utility vehicles along the entire value chain by 30 percent relative to 2015. Audi has therefore set ambitious targets in all areas of the company with the goal of achieving net CO2-neutrality company-wide by 2050.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered the VAG/group angle :thumb:

Thanks, I didn't know about the Audi initiative. There looks like a lot of good stuff happening which I just don't know about :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back