Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Active Engine Mount Failure PADM

Steve997

Spa-Francorchamps
Look for opinions and experience on Active Engine Mount (PADM) failure. Normally part of Sports Chrono Pack.

I'm trying to evaluate if this is something I should be concerned about and consider an OPC extended warranty or if its just Internet scaremongering? Like bore scoring, which although a genuine issue doesn't seem as bad as people might believe, with figures quoted of less than 5% failure rate.

There does seem alot of posts about PADM failure on various forums, with many people writing about bad experiences, but obviously this is not in any context to how many people had no issues and a good experience.

Anyone got any experience on the subject?

://www.total911.com/technology-explained-porsche-active-drivetrain-mounts/

I would highly recommend an OPC warranty as lot of issues were covered during my ownership in the past. Not encountered PADM issues though.

I've just had a PADM failure on one of my engine mounts (991.1 CS4). The replacement cost is about £1200 (I think), but I got one (latest revision) from a breaker for £500. Still not cheap, but better than from the OPC. It's an easy fix too.

I have done about 30000 miles and it's coming up to 8 years old, so I'd say yes, it is an issue. There have been a couple of revisions on the mount, and I've now got the latest.

As to OPC warranty, I don't have one. I do all my own servicing and I recon I've saved £5000 in warranty cost and a further few thousand in servicing. I don't care about resale values as I'm not selling.

But, you pays your money and takes your choice.

It does seem to be an issue - of course these are the things that get reported on forums the most but it's possibly rare in reality - but it's a complex part that won't last forever. Demort might give an idea on how often they get replaced.

I factored in a Porsche warranty when I bought mine for peace of mind. The law of sod says nothing will go wrong with my car now :grin: but it's an Insurance policy against potentially unaffordable costs.

I stretched what I thought was sensible in terms of my car's cost and really couldn't take the risk of a potential engine/PDK failure. And it's surprising how some report cumulative warranty repairs that add up over time.

While my car is relatively young I also want to maintain a full OPC history...

I'm not sure if there is a thread documenting warranty claims - would be interesting.

I've done about 3 in total with say another 2 done at my garage since they came out with this system ..

I think i did x1 991 and x2 981 .. both of these were cayman .

For the Cayman then one side is easy .. the other side and not so .

991 from memory is bumper off , air box out to get at it .

I believe there was some sort of recall or issue with these as they went back order which would suggest an issue .. not replaced any recently though .

An issue which is probably no longer current might explain you finding a lot of complaints about these ..

Its might be similar to High pressure fuel pumps today .. there was an issue but most of the affected if not all have been either fixed or were ok to start with .

Porsche warranty all day long for me .. which considering i work at an Indy kinda says a lot !

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back