Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 996 tyre options

Pnw996

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help and point me in the right direction?

My tyres are in need of replacing on my 996 c4

I had a quick phone around and internet search yesterday and I am struggling to find tyres.

Ideally, I was looking for a Michelin PS2 N rated but only rears are available, or Pirelli N rated but only fronts available, no matching sets.

My tyre sizes are

Fronts = 225/40/R18
Rear = 285/30/R18

The only matching pair I can get are Michilin PS4, but they are not N rated and the rears are only available in 275/35/R18, so ever so slightly narrower but with a 5mm higher sidewall, which may help ride comfort? They say developed by BMW, Mercedes & Porsche! And have correct speed/load rating and have a stiffer sidewall.
I have also noticed that all the Michelin PS2 N rated tyres are not a recent manufacture date!
My wheels are original fit Porsche BBS sports design as fitted on Gen1 & Gen 2 996. On the Gen 1 the tyres are 265 with the same wheel size, so I'm thinking 275mm wide should be fine?

Any info greatly received

Many Thanks

Paul

I've been running Michelin PS4 tyres in 225/40x18 fronts and 275/35x18 rears for 4 years and something like 14000 miles now with no problems - I had them fitted while my car was at Centre Gravity having the suspension refreshed and Chris Franklin there approved me having those over the older PS2 design

also at his suggestion, I run them at 34psi front and 39psi rear, they are still wearing pretty evenly despite a good workout over the Yorkshire moors a couple of weeks ago :thumbs:

I doint believe the PS2 are coming back in "N" rated or certainly are not available at this time as I just went through same thing.

I have gone for the same size and make but Mercedes Fitment which I think will be fine.

Attachments

• capture_174.png
    capture_174.png
    188 KB · Views: 1,317
peterg1955 said:
I've been running Michelin PS4 tyres in 225/40x18 fronts and 275/35x18 rears for 4 years and something like 14000 miles now with no problems - I had them fitted while my car was at Centre Gravity having the suspension refreshed and Chris Franklin there approved me having those over the older PS2 design

also at his suggestion, I run them at 34psi front and 39psi rear, they are still wearing pretty evenly despite a good workout over the Yorkshire moors a couple of weeks ago :thumbs:
+1 exactly the same on recommendation from Chris CG

I went for Michelin PS4's and have enjoyed them so far.

Previous 2 sets were Pirelli P Zero's (Rosso I believe) and they were also fine, and lasted around 20k miles each.

I fitted N3 michelin Pilot sport last year on the back, need 2 for the front now, is it ok to fit PS N4 to the front?
No N3 available

I've recently fitted the PS4 tyres in 235/40/18 fronts and 275/35/18 rears after much research I concluded this was best option as newest technology. My car is a 996.1 and my new wheels were wider 8.5 inch at front hence 235s. Interestingly my car is M030 and used to sit too low for car jack but now sits a bit higher and jack goes under.

v6toj said:
I've recently fitted the PS4 tyres in 235/40/18 fronts and 275/35/18 rears after much research I concluded this was best option as newest technology. My car is a 996.1 and my new wheels were wider 8.5 inch at front hence 235s. Interestingly my car is M030 and used to sit too low for car jack but now sits a bit higher and jack goes under.

Did you run 225/40's previously? If so that's why it will be slightly higher. The aspect ratio 40 is the height of the tyre. Which is 40% of the tyre width, 225mm and 235mm.

bakerboy4s said:
I fitted N3 michelin Pilot sport last year on the back, need 2 for the front now, is it ok to fit PS N4 to the front?
No N3 available

N4 is just the latest revision of N3. Same tyre just updated so I would say it's the most correct option.

Did you run 225/40's previously? If so that's why it will be slightly higher. The aspect ratio 40 is the height of the tyre. Which is 40% of the tyre width, 225mm and 235mm.[/quote]

Yeah I ran 225/40 previously and 265/35 on rear. I knew the new tyres would be a slighter higher sidewall profile. O the plus side the car is a little more compliant but on the negative it sits a bit too high for my eye especially at rear. I'm thinking of H & R springs to get it down to gt3 ride height in the future.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back