Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCCM+ Navigation Bug

esendia

Monza
I went for a drive today using my new PCCM+ to guide me and noticed on the motorway the stereo screen displayed I was 18 miles from the next turn off and the instrument cluster displayed 30 miles from the turn off so naturally thought something was off.
So kept and eye on it and both numbers were always out from one another quite drastically.
My mind eventually stumbled upon 18 miles is about 30km, so I tried changing the units on the stereo and low and behold the instrument cluster went from displaying 30mls to 30km ("example" whatever value at that time in the drive).

The setting changes the units correctly to that set but the value remains the value for kilometres regardless of being set to miles or kilometres.

Seems someone overlooked this when they coded this one, just funny they remembered to make it show the correct units for the setting but neglected the value correction to go with it.

The picture below displays the issues as well as a short youtube video I made here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNMY10sKXO0

Anyone else had software bugs like this with Porsche? just curious if I should expect a fix if reported, added in a later updated, neglected ect.

Just a little disappointed, when you drop £1350 of a stereo and pay out another £115 for navigation from a company that boast precision and driving experience you expect the experience to not have these kind of issues.

Attachments

• pccm_navigation_bug_145.jpg
    pccm_navigation_bug_145.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 1,950
I presume that your trip computer and speedo etc are all set to mph?

What happens if you switch those to kph, then back to mph? Does that update the distance value shown on the dash at all?

If you get really annoyed by this bug let me know via PM. I'll take this clearly shoddy PCCM system of your hands - £250 sound ok? :D

Also happy to do a straight-swap with you for my old PCM 2.0 system which doesn't have this bug . . . :floor:

EDIT - I'm jealous of the new all-singing-all-dancing PCCM system. I need to start saving to replace my woeful PCM2.0 :sad:

Andyvvc said:
I presume that your trip computer and speedo etc are all set to mph?

What happens if you switch those to kph, then back to mph? Does that update the distance value shown on the dash at all?

If you get really annoyed by this bug let me know via PM. I'll take this clearly shoddy PCCM system of your hands - £250 sound ok? :D

Also happy to do a straight-swap with you for my old PCM 2.0 system which doesn't have this bug . . . :floor:

EDIT - I'm jealous of the new all-singing-all-dancing PCCM system. I need to start saving to replace my woeful PCM2.0 :sad:

Tried swapping them all to km then back again made no difference to the issue, the unit for navigation is independent however so regardless of if your speed ect is set to miles or km's the the navigation will display whatever the stereo is set to so you can have speed in miles directions in km if you were inclined for example.

Not quite ready to give up on it quite yet so will respectfully decline the offer, :grin:

Funnily enough just went for a drive and the radio now locks you out of menu's while in motion with a warning about distractions while driving which it definitely did not do yesterday while fiddling around trying to find out how to fix the miles/km issue yesterday so seems they are actively updating the radio by your bluetooth connection to your phone just like the new PCM's you get with the new Porsche's at least that or magic don't see how else it could have updated.

If you're after one try listing your PCM 2.0 I sold mine with my Dension gateway for £850 a few weeks back, defiantly went some way to paying for the new toy. :D

Uber996au said:
For the money they're charging, it should be flawless.

Couldn't agree more but the prospect of that my radio is getting updates actively from my phone it somewhat satisfactory knowing they are actually fixing bugs and updating rather than Porsche's old style of offering an update CD 2 years later with all the bug fixes for £99 or whatever it was.

I've not yet had any dealings with these although we have 2 units sitting on the shelf i'll end up fitting at some point .

With the old PCM i can talk to it with a tester .. various coding options etc .. im wondering if it will be the same with this unit and there's some sort of coding conflict.

Cant help for now but as and when i get to play with one i'll bear this in mind :thumb:

Thanks, I'd really appreciate that.

Official word from Porsche customer services is they are aware of this fault, an update is in the pipeline and in my case they will book me in for said update at my OPC under warranty.
If you want the update get in contact with Porsche customer services and get them to get you on the list to get an update. The service department and parts department at my OPC had no clue and there only solution was to book me in for them to investigate the fault at my own expense of course so go direct to customer services is my recommendation.

that's unfortunate, it's astonishing how this didn't come up in their testing...
but then again my car still says "MANUELL" on the AC control unit, clearly they couldn't be bothered

cvega said:
that's unfortunate, it's astonishing how this didn't come up in their testing...
but then again my car still says "MANUELL" on the AC control unit, clearly they couldn't be bothered

It is, you should also see the long list of updates and bugs for the PCM that comes with the 991's and 992's including an update which has rendered alot of units touchscreens dead due to lack of testing. I'm really not a fan of this new fad of releasing software barely tested with the view of we can release fixes later rather than just get it right the way we had before the internet made updating broken software just part of everyday life.

The climate control did have a dumb LCD screen however so guess they didn't have much choice really beyond manufacturing an LCD for every language which at the time LCD was still pretty expensive to manufacture.

esendia said:
cvega said:
that's unfortunate, it's astonishing how this I'm really not a fan of this new fad of releasing software barely tested with the view of we can release fixes later rather than just get it right the way we had before the internet made updating broken software just part of everyday life.

One of my pet peeves too, experienced it more than once. Hopefully Porsche get the silly bug ironed out, but it shows how little actual testing must have gone into it prior to release. The US and UK are both pretty big potential markets for this product, so I would assume it should be sorted out fairly quickly.

Looking at the video on the install of this, I notice it comes with an interface to utilise the existing aerial & split it for FM/AM & DAB.

Does anyone know if this could be used with an aftermarket head unit?
I've tried three different aerials with my Alpine unit & still can't get a decent DAB signal.

esendia said:
[
It is, you should also see the long list of updates and bugs for the PCM that comes with the 991's and 992's including an update which has rendered alot of units touchscreens dead due to lack of testing. I'm really not a fan of this new fad of releasing software barely tested with the view of we can release fixes later rather than just get it right the way we had before the internet made updating broken software just part of everyday life.

This makes me happy i have a relatively simple car which is the 996... less sh*t to break :D

Clanky said:
Looking at the video on the install of this, I notice it comes with an interface to utilise the existing aerial & split it for FM/AM & DAB.

I've tried three different aerials with my Alpine unit & still can't get a decent DAB signal.

it has a cable to bypass the factory antenna amplifier. the factory antenna booster is naturally for the AM/FM frequencies so attenuates other frequencies which includes dab. is your car a PCM 2.0 car or a single antenna. I can give you the part numbers of the cables in the kits if you wan't to run the bypass. additionally for the box that then splits the two.
[/quote]

esendia said:
Clanky said:

it has a cable to bypass the factory antenna amplifier. the factory antenna booster is naturally for the AM/FM frequencies so attenuates other frequencies which includes dab. is your car a PCM 2.0 car or a single antenna. I can give you the part numbers of the cables in the kits if you wan't to run the bypass. additionally for the box that then splits the two.
[/quote]

If you have the part numbers that would be great, thanks.
It has the PCM 2 so uses the diversity system.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andewcb
Back