Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil temp gauge, done to death but...

gilliambot

Hello wise people,

So I have recently acquired a 993 c2 coupe. Traded in for my 997 GTS, and oh it's a glorious machine, but! I can't get my head around the oil. I have got a handle on the oil level. I have driven about 700miles since buying it about a month ago, and the oil level has dropped considerably, is this normal?

Secondly, and more importantly the oil temp, when warmed up it gets to just below the first main mark (194F / 90C), in traffic it rises a little higher, and stuck on the M25 traffic in the heat it reached the middle dial. As soon as I start moving the dial will drop back down to below the marker again. Is this normal? Reading forums and other places the general concencious is that the dial should sit in the middle of the gauge, or is this just for the hotter climes across the pond? I am just concerned the oil isn't getting hot enough and lubristing the engine properly.

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Perfectly normal.....while sitting traffic on the M25 your oil cooling fan located in the front offside wing should have been running. In uncongested forward momentum the temp gauge should sit just about or below the first mark. Never seen mine go much above the middle mark apart from that one time at band camp.....

My oil temp sits just below the first mark too and barely rises whilst in traffic. Perfectly normal so my Indy tells me.

Oil level is a strange one and has been discussed many times if you do a search. The car needs to be fully warmed up and stationary on level ground for a good 10min+ before an accurate reading is possible. Always double check with the dipstick too as this is far more accurate than the guage.
These cars do use a little oil and it varies from car to car, depending on mileage, how the cars driven etc.

C.

1. Oil level gauge is not a reliable method, use dip stick, engine hot, running, on level surface. Be very careful to not overfill. If it's not smoking (a bit on start up is not unusual) and consumption is more than 500ml per 1000mls it's probably leaking from the cam covers and/or oil return pipes.
2.Oil temp looks ok but check cooler fan, it may be running on full (resistor failed)

Cheers for all the info guys. Now that worry is out the way, I can just get on with enjoying the machine.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back