Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OBS Scanner - Which one?

Menace

Hockenheim
Hi all,

Think I'm going to buy an OBD Scanner as I'm all out of things to buy for the car.

Which ones are you using? Reviews and prices would be great. Not looking to spend the earth.

Regards

Vinny

I use an Autel MD802 I got off amazon for £90 last year, I originally ordered it as I had an airbag light while doing some work on the car and figured it was worth the cost over paying an indie every time I want to check diagnostics but can't fault it as a scan tool with the ability to reset codes. Also with the DIY version you get 1 free software with the tool (i.e. Porsche) then can buy additional platforms for around £7 so I also got the VAG software in addition so can use it to do all the same scanning and code clearing on my VW's too when I'm too lazy to set up VCDS and don't need coding and may get the BMW software too as my brother recently got himself a Mini.

I know a lot of people mention the Durametric but I tried a friends Durametric and doesn't seem worth the cost on our cars or older as it essentially just works as a scan tool that can reset codes the same as cheaper options like the autel as the coding options only seem to be implemented well on newer models and no where near the level on control and information as something like a VCDS lead is for VAG cars.

The best tool to be able to do anything for our cars are the PIWIS clones but they cost a few thousand, so unless you have a few Porsche's you are regularly working on or are working on them as your job then it doesn't seem worth it over paying an indie for occasional coding while using a simple cheap scan tool for everything else.

I recently picked up a Foxwell NT530 for under 150 euros and very impressed with it.

It pretty much does everything you can do with the more expensive Durametrics and in some cases more.

Foxwell NT624 Elite, purchased from Ali Express, much cheaper and works very well.

My Foxwell NT530 (with 2 free softwares as the ad said) arrived yesterday afternoon, so give me a day or so and i will report back :D

It cost 192 euro's and because i did not see the dropdown menu to change it to GBP paypal charges £8 to convert!!!!!!!!!!

£126 is the current price with the Porsche s/w

martin t said:
My Foxwell NT530 (with 2 free softwares as the ad said) arrived yesterday afternoon, so give me a day or so and i will report back :D

It cost 192 euro's and because i did not see the dropdown menu to change it to GBP paypal charges £8 to convert!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds good. Do you have a link?

Thanks

martin t said:

Sounds good. Do you have a link?

Thanks

esendia said:
I use an Autel MD802 I got off amazon for £90 last year, I originally ordered it as I had an airbag light while doing some work on the car and figured it was worth the cost over paying an indie every time I want to check diagnostics but can't fault it as a scan tool with the ability to reset codes. Also with the DIY version you get 1 free software with the tool (i.e. Porsche) then can buy additional platforms for around £7 so I also got the VAG software in addition so can use it to do all the same scanning and code clearing on my VW's too when I'm too lazy to set up VCDS and don't need coding and may get the BMW software too as my brother recently got himself a Mini.

I know a lot of people mention the Durametric but I tried a friends Durametric and doesn't seem worth the cost on our cars or older as it essentially just works as a scan tool that can reset codes the same as cheaper options like the autel as the coding options only seem to be implemented well on newer models and no where near the level on control and information as something like a VCDS lead is for VAG cars.

The best tool to be able to do anything for our cars are the PIWIS clones but they cost a few thousand, so unless you have a few Porsche's you are regularly working on or are working on them as your job then it doesn't seem worth it over paying an indie for occasional coding while using a simple cheap scan tool for everything else.

Thanks for the great reply. Really helpful.

Thanks

Vinny

esendia said:

Thanks for the great reply. Really helpful.

Thanks

Vinny

https://www.foxwelltool.co.uk/whole...MIkYLWtYLY8gIVjaztCh1HXgHpEAQYAiABEgIU7PD_BwE

They say in the advert UK stock, this was not true for my purchase but it did arrive in 6 working days. If you do by make sure you click on the union flag for gbp.

I finally downloaded the porsche sw and have plugged it into my 997. I cleared all the historic codes took it for a drive and checked again to find no new fault codes so all hunky dory.

That is my experience so far and hopefully i will not need to use it in anger for a good while but for the price it is peace of mind with little outlay plus i can do the same on my wifes golf as i have also bought the vw package.

If passing drop by and try it.

I need to reset an airbag light as well after having my driver's door apart for paint. I think the Autel AP200 should work, any experiences?

martin t said:
https://www.foxwelltool.co.uk/wholesale/nt530-multi-system-tool-one-free-software-nt520-updated.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkYLWtYLY8gIVjaztCh1HXgHpEAQYAiABEgIU7PD_BwE

They say in the advert UK stock, this was not true for my purchase but it did arrive in 6 working days. If you do by make sure you click on the union flag for gbp.

I finally downloaded the porsche sw and have plugged it into my 997. I cleared all the historic codes took it for a drive and checked again to find no new fault codes so all hunky dory.

That is my experience so far and hopefully i will not need to use it in anger for a good while but for the price it is peace of mind with little outlay plus i can do the same on my wifes golf as i have also bought the vw package.

If passing drop by and try it.

Thanks, that great but where is the Union flag? Can only find the one that asks if shipping to U.K.

Thanks

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back