Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New workshop for my 993

A993LAD

Hockenheim
Hi folks I'm currently converting one of my barns so it can be better used as a workshop.

We have now completed re-roofing re flooring and re Walling with the only remaining job getting the doors on the front and rear of the barn and then it's good to go.

Thoughts are now turning to kitting it out and one thing I've always wanted is a car lift. Consensus on another forum is that I should go for a two post not a four post with the two post being better for working on cars.

Just wondering if any of you have a car lift for working on your 993 and any tips for possible suppliers or installers in the south.

Also any recommendations for workbench or tool storage etc very welcome. I'm really looking forward to getting this workshop kitted out and being able to work on my cars and other machinery in some comfort instead of crawling around underneath them in dust and dirt.

Attachments

• 20220522_175500_copy_1512x2016_461.jpg
    20220522_175500_copy_1512x2016_461.jpg
    924.1 KB · Views: 3,296
  • 20220522_175500_copy_1512x2016_461.jpg
    20220522_175500_copy_1512x2016_461.jpg
    924.1 KB · Views: 3,296
I have a scissor lift which I bought from https://www.strongmanlifts.co.uk/ .

I have had a couple of issues with it over the years but have found them very good when anything goes wrong, with plenty of UK-based telephone support available without much if any holding, and in one case a replacement component sent out without quibble, even though the unit was slightly out of warranty.

Don't know about benches (built my own) but I have used Ikea kitchen wall units for storage (in grey) and they are inexpensive and look good.

I use a Quickjack which gets it high enough off the ground for everything except taking the engine out (although I suspect if you took the intake and fan etc off first you could get it out.

At max height it's about 50cm off the ground and it gets it there in a matter of seconds.

Perfect for my 'normal' sized garage but if I had your space I'd get a 2-poster (assuming the concrete is thick enough).

That is one hell of a garage / workshop space. Not envious at all. :D

AndyS said:
Can't comment on the lifts (my garage isn't high enough), but I used 'Sealey' Superline Pro workbenches and storage units - the modular pieces.
I'm really pleased with this kit, and easy to add to and extend.

ATB

great tip thanks. just looking at their website now. cheers

Looks a fantastic space for your garage/workshop, I too am very jealous!

I use a scissor lift (http://bhrepairs.co.uk/) in my domestic garage.

Regarding the base requirements for a 2-post lift, my understanding is that the concrete needs to be not only suitably thick and hard but also reinforced surrounding the posts for optimal safety. Different requirements for a four-post lift I assume.

Look forward to pictures when the kit is installed.

ATB,

Martin

Great space ... you might want to consider insulation for winter working and also security. One other thought is garage lifts tends to attract "friends" like tennis courts and swimming pools - so worth planning position of the lift and floor layout i.e. how other vehicles may also utilise the space. One last thing, great workshop have segregated "clean areas" (assembly work etc) and "dirty areas" (grinding, smashing, bashing etc). Oh and fridge, kettle, sound-system and wifi these days of course - good luck !

Will

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back