Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

JWW does Gumball.

Outlander, I find nothing surprising in your post and it seems we may think alike to some degree. The bottom line for me is that for some time now we have lived in a world that is dependent on advertising to pay for much that many take for granted...?

Being an old geezer I remember when each phone call had to be paid for and the cost was dependent on duration and distance between the parties involved in the call...

Today and for some time now we have been able to converse with folk world wide for next to no cost to ourselves other than the equipment involved to make initial connection, I think we have a lot to be thankful for.... Sure the amount of money ploughed into and generated by advertising is immense, and as one who likes to think he may be less affected by product placement, auto suggestion and many other forms of media mind manipulation, I am none too bothered by those who can present me with anything of interest to ME and at no cost to myself...Should I think otherwise..?

IMI A I have watched top gear since Raymond Baxter and his team presented it and thus have seen it evolve into the rubber burning and death defying stunts comedy circus it is and perhaps I should type was, given it has injured at least two if not more folk involved in ..err..stunts..? Sure I have enjoyed the programme and laughed at some of the innate antics and at times appreciated aspects of it`s anti politically correct/woke output... how far is too far in any direction, I think we are about to find out..again..?

My primary interest is and has always been the machinery and less so the "personalities" M/cycle and car mad from my earliest years, those who can share what it might be like to enjoy any and every type of machine of types I am never likely to own drive or even see in the metal, are of value to ME.

As I typed in this thread I thought JWW did a good job of his all round assessment of the GT2RS a Porsche which at the time seemed to be the ultimate road going Porsche I would have chosen to have in my garage...That he drove it in the company of others around countryside similar to that which I can enjoy on occasion made it of even more interest, thus a thumbs up from me on that particular vid.. https://youtu.be/zeMsWE-o1Dc

Less so some of JWW`s overtly extravagant Gumball promotional stuff with chat on watches and sun glasses etc.etc.etc. But then as one who imagines he is not one inclined to follow the leader by nature, that stuff was just treated with the amount of interest it deserved..I have not ever ridden or driven through the desert and found it interesting to see the roads and the cars... If you want to watch something a tad more down to earth in terms of riding in desert Jungles or frozen tundra, try beaming up Itchyboots... Not much coverage of pouring Bolly over Rolexes sort of thing, a tad more ..err..basic.

https://youtu.be/MNsn6NHYV8g

As ever each to their own choices, even if they differ from my own.. :grin:

Hahaha 991 GT2 RS my fave 991 but no chance I could watch JWW or many other YTs appraising it. I'd much rather watch Harris, Meaden, Catchpole, Jethro and Plato in a track 911 like that and have. The want is v.strong for that 911 but not sure I'd want to share a race track with Cup cars testing on one end of the spectrum and rank amateurs at other end of the spectrum!

Things like this happen when you mix that calamitous cocktail which is how PCGB track days are nowadays I'm afraid. The reality is that the chance to use a 991 GT2 RS pushing it even on track not what it seems at first glance as such a wide spectrum of performance and driver ability. Fine at say a very expensive private session at Ascari but at an open trackway with PCGB or MSV not for moi!

IMI A thanks for taking the time to post the link, though I have to admit I did not watch it as I dislike to see cars being damaged less so when one of them might by a personal favourite of mine.

As I suggested the personality thing which seems to be oh so important to many, is not something I allow to restrict anything much for ME.. JWW`s usage in that vid was more related to the way I imagine I would enjoy an RS on the road, which made the vid relevant, as were some of the points he made.

Had my fill of track days when I was into Lotus and air cooled Porsches up till the 90`s. I even managed to throw my 77 SC off at Knockhill many years back...Duh..! I played a small part in the very early days of setting up track days, thus have had my share of that, I remember well sending off a mixed group of cars on their familiarisation lap to then hear the screech of a TVR crashing off...!!!

I have not had my 991 on track and have no intention of doing so either. Gone are the days when I would repair things myself and such are the cost implications today that I am more comfortable to leave the track to others to enjoy. Though I have attended a few track days in the recent past in the hope of grabbing a pic or two.

I suffer no delusions of ever intentionally pushing the limits of my 991.1 C4S on the road, I just enjoy driving and enjoy it even more in a sports car, even if I am likely to be categorised by whatever derogatory remark the envious care to apply to an old git in a Porsche...! I can remember well when there was a time when I have been thought of as a young git (or much worse) in a bright RED Porsche... :grin:

Outlander said:
I read this thread with interest as it seems to confirm what I thought; people don't seem to realise that these aren't actually people just going about making videos of their wonderful life. They are front men for very serious/ money oriented businesses. ........

Worse than that, you will find that the people who fund or own the Mr JWWs of this world also own own the companies he promotes. It's all big business and never what it seems.

In this time of social media, these front men are the new advertisers and everything they post is an advert for something.

Actually a good example of how fake social media is. Even in this post, people being made to feel that someone like JWW is 'doing better than them'

Very sage words Outlander. Not wanting to hijack the relatively benign entertainment value of these YTs, as always there is a very dark side to social media. I'm not suggesting there are 'dark forces' at work with JWW by the way!

I remember the case of Gurvin Singh who was hailed as a successful 'entrepreneur' by making a fortune in FX trading and buying fast cars (didn't end well https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/forex-trader-gurvin-singh-reveals-7077436 ). Basically he was groomed by big offshore interests that pimp so called 'influencers' with bling through VLogs (I can't think how else to summarise it in short but similar to the way gambling companies get vulnerable people on the very barbed hook).

Around that time my son was asking me about getting into FX trading and it took me a surprisingly long time to convince him it was a scam. Sadly an old school-friend of his took his own life having gone down a similar path
:nooo:

Then there's the YTs that seem to trade in actual souls and conspiracy theories but I'll get into trouble if I go there :grin:

Luddite old chum, is there any truth in the rumour you've ordered some of those Mr JWW branded sunglasses with the sieves at the side :floor:

I can't say I like any of them but they've made a lifestyle out of something they have a passion for - cars. That said I can imagine it can be tiresome having to come up with new content all the time and wonder how much traction this has got. Then again they always get Porsche GT allocations so when they flip them they boost their income by six-figures. But there's only so many times STG can drive to Europe, Tge_Ldn can auction off a watch or car (at over the top ticket prices) and make it interesting :roll:

I'm more a fan of Matt Armstrong, who I don't believe has a 'backer' but just on views alone his YT videos must be returning him a good income. And he appears to have worked his balls off to get where he is now.

Senoj said:
Luddite said:
I had no intention whatsoever to make any direct reference to any individuals other than the content of JWW`s vids.

I merely wished to point out that such are my expectations of human nature that there will ever be those who suffer envy, and as Porsche owners I am pretty sure most will have come up against that at some time.... I sure did so in the 70`s-90`s while driving my air cooled Porsches, a time when "The City" seemed to have adopted the 911 as their symbol of status and comedians were promoting LOADSAMONEY as a form of excess usually associated with Porsche ownership, up till then I suspect only car enthusiasts were likely to know what a Porsche was...? Also that when it comes to presenting excess, JWW is pretty well up there, and thus bound to attract unfortunate interweb comment, like flies to the proverbial...?

I subscribed to JWW on watching the GT2RS vid but I have unsubscribed recently as there was not much that I could relate to any more. As for JWW`s personality, he would not be one of my few friends even if he wanted to be. For sure presenters have to "present" in an interesting fashion, and I thought he did so well enough on the GT2RS vid, whereas the Gumball stuff was for me OTT and by quite some margin.

As I typed each to their own opinion, and expressing it in a friendly manner works for me. We all have the right to set our own datums in life, and to alter them whenever that might suit. After over 70 years on the planet my datums/priorities have evolved somewhat over the years ...and may continue to do so for a while yet, if I`m lucky... :?:

You didn't :thumb:

He presents stuff well enough. All these chaps are chasing clicks, clicks = cash, they come across like they're having this whale of a time but I'm finding it more and more tedious so god knows how they keep on the hamster wheel, running faster and faster to stay relevant....I'm suspicious of anyone who wilfully points a camera at themselves to play lead role in their own movie...odd way to make a living. Totally beholden to youtube who could change the rules at any moment it suits them.

I tend to agree on the being suspicious of anyone that chooses to make a living by wilfully pointing a camera at themselves.

I'm not a fan of JWW, I watched a few of his early videos but rapidly realised he's everything I despise in a human being.
Shmee isn't far behind him, closely followed by Sam STG. I went through a phase when I quite enjoyed watching his Ferrari 360 ownership, but over the past year/18 months he's just become as tiresome as Shmee.

I started a scathing thread on here about Jay Emm, but then really warmed to his content, but like everything in life, familiarity breeds contempt and you can have too much of a good thing, and I started to get bored with his output, which has become increasingly formulaic. But fair play to him for generating sufficient income from prostituting himself to buy some wonderful cars.
I wonder how long he'll continue doing so. I could see him making it into the mainstream at some point.

Iain Tyrrell did a podcast with Matt Farrah recently (IT had gone to the States to see the family of the deceased founder of the V16 Cizeta).

At the end of it Matt dealt IT a savage, cruel blow when he said something along the lines of 'YouTube's algorithms/analytics ultimately decide how long your YT career lasts"
IT did a double take and basically said 'What do you mean ?" And Matt Farrah said YouTube careers don't last forever, once their analytics/algorithms see your audience numbers waning, your career is toast, and there's nothing you can do to reverse it.

Of course the outlier is Harry Metcalfe, a genuinely lovely bloke, not pretentious, totally unassuming and I suspect has every bit as much clout with manufacturers as Jeremy Clarkson.
It's only a shame the majority of the scribes who worked at Evo didn't end up being as humble as their master...

Zingari said:
Luddite old chum, is there any truth in the rumour you've ordered some of those Mr JWW branded sunglasses with the sieves at the side :floor:

I can't say I like any of them but they've made a lifestyle out of something they have a passion for - cars. That said I can imagine it can be tiresome having to come up with new content all the time and wonder how much traction this has got. Then again they always get Porsche GT allocations so when they flip them they boost their income by six-figures. But there's only so many times STG can drive to Europe, Tge_Ldn can auction off a watch or car (at over the top ticket prices) and make it interesting :roll:

I'm more a fan of Matt Armstrong, who I don't believe has a 'backer' but just on views alone his YT videos must be returning him a good income. And he appears to have worked his balls off to get where he is now.

Zingers, re the design of the glasses you mentioned.... When I first saw them as "presented" they reminded me of glasses supplied by the govt to the "war blinded" of WWII...Sad but true. I suspect easily found with a bit of Googling..? Seems as ever that which comes around..goes around.. :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pands
Back