Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is this reasonable?

Ghost

Estoril
In terms of hours that is? I have finally found a bodyshop out here in Mudfordshire who give me some confidence in their experience and enthusiasm in working on older cars. Not cheap, but they have estimated for 65 hours work to do the following:

To repair stone chips in bonnet and bumper, prep and paint, blending into both wings
To shotblast rust in seams on door shuts and repair
To repair and paint window frame, OS and NS
To repair screen panel
To repair crack in arch on NSR 1/4, prep and paint, blending into door
To repair lower wings both sides and dent on OS wing
To repair and paint window frame, OS and NS
To flat + polish

This makes it sound as though the car is falling to pieces, but with the exception of the base of the screen and the lower wing edges, most of the rest is minor blemishes. The crack in the nsr arch is a half inch long crack in the paint rather than the metal, and the os wing dent is an almost imperceptible ding left by some coont in a car park!

I'm sure it will look superb once it is finished, but is 65 hours reasonable for that amount of work, assuming nothing further is uncovered under the skin?

If you want a proper job done I'd say that 65 hours is very reasonable for that list of work.

65 hours work at whatever rate they charge plus materials, paint etc. sounds pricey to a Northerner like me. Probably best to talk £££'s rather than hours to guage opinion.

Rather than all this panel blending, what does a full respray cost in comparison?

C.

It'll easily take 65 hours to do all that work - and it's a lot of blending.

Almost easier to do the whole thing, surely? Which panels are not getting any paint? The whole front is being done.

Does windscreen surround includes roof blend?
Does door shut include (or need?) blend with door?
Rear arches blend with rear?

Only leaves the boot lid, doesn't it?

'There are definitely some questions to be asked here. Anyway you look at it, it won't be cheap for a decent job, and allowing for professional screen removal and refitting, paint and parts, and the dreaded VAT all add to the cost. I've had a sub £1k quote from elsewhere, but it didn't fill me with much confidence that a good job would be done.

Sub£1K... so Zingari has bought a rattle can and set up a paint shop!

You can't compare time and £££s as labour rates vary so much in different parts of the country.

The time required may differ according to the expertise of the practitioner and/or the quality of the work but shouldn't be significant.

Of course it's always good practice to get more than one quote (£££s or time) for any job.

I would suggest Glassman for the screen removal and refit.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back