Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How do you look after ceramic coating?

masher964

Trainee
I'm not big into car cleaning and detailing to be honest but equally I do like a clean and protected car. When I got my BMW new2 years ago I had it ceramic coated - my first experience. I found getting dirt off the car and creating a good finish easier so when I bought my 997 GTS I had that done and now I've just had my 991 GTS done.
So, 2 years on with the BMW daily driver and the positive benefits of the ceramic coating stem to be fading. It has lived outside and been washed with Meguire's gold class and chammied down. I have used the clay on it once a year over the lower areas to remove tar. So I am thinking there is more to looking after this ceramic coating and want to get it right on the Porsches. So to start, my questions are:
1. How long should the benefits of a ceramic coating last?
2. What should I be applying over it to maintain the benefits?
3. What should I absolutely not apply over the top of it?

On my 964, the only thing I did was wash it, chammy it down and once a year applied Zymol by hand. It always looked good. Zymol a faff though (made my hands smell lovely though)
Recently I looked at my wife's 7 year old black BMW 1 series (which permanently lives outdoors) and thought it looked awful. I washed it, applied Autoglym super resin polish then Meguire's ultimate liquid wax. This made it shine like a new pin - soooo rewarding! These products were quick and easy to apply but the Autoglym polish was to restore so not for the Porsches. The Meguire's might be.
I Have recently bought Gtechniq quick detailer thinking this might be my quick and easy protection for the ceramic coat (not yet used)
Before I mess things up, are any of these appropriate bearing in mind I want a clean, protected car with the minimum of time spent cleaning (sorry if that concept offends but I have too much going on to spend a whole day doing it)?
Thanks for any guidance.
Mick

Ceramic Coating

Jim White ( White Details) , mentioned on one of his video that the life expectancy of ceramic coating is related to the chemical you use when washing the car. The Gtechnik quick detailer is probably the way to go . I have used the Pyramid system and their Quick Detailer complements their Ceramic coating.
Once you go down the route of ceramic coating as opposed to wax etc then the Quick Detailer is the way to go. I don't think there is anything that you should not do . The better the quality of the car shampoo , I use Bilt Hamber , the longer the ceramic will last . Once the finish is no longer hydrophobic , it should become apparent

It really depends what product you have used. Some last for 6 months some upto 5-6 years. What ever Ceramic protection it is , you should avoid harsh shampoos etc , top up quick detailer once every 3 months , ideally the same make as the coating.

My car had gtechniq coating put on about 4 years ago. Car is garaged overnight, used as a daily (20mile b-Road commute) but garaged when the salt comes out. Usually Washed weekly/ Sometimes fortnightly.

I top up with neat gtechniq c2v3 spray (once or twice a year). Spray on a panel, spread with microfibre. Leave a couple of minutes and buff off. It's only a tenner a bottle (4-5 cars coverage). It can be diluted to use as a QD, but I prefer to apply as a proper top-up less frequently.

I still have great beading but it doesn't sheet the water off when using an open hose like it used to. (Probably due to some minor swirls as I use my unique zero bucket technique)

I would adamantly avoid using a clay bar, as you are removing the coating.

My normal maintenance wash is all pH neutral products:
Bilt Hamber snowfoam
Rinse (jet wash)
Spray Gtechniq bug remover on front end if required
Autoglym shampoo & conditioner (applied via second foam lance)
Wipe down with wash mitt.
Rinse (jet wash)
De-ionised rinse (open hose)
Normally can't resist using a drying towel
Glass with Autoglym fast glass and microfibre.

Above wash can be done in 40mins.

I would ditch the chamois and buy a good drying towel (or two)

Go for a ceramic coating here. Or do learn it yourself. Much more rewarding. If you have the time and can easily access a water / electric source where the car is.

DonaldBrick said:
Go for a ceramic coating here. Or do learn it yourself. Much more rewarding. If you have the time and can easily access a water / electric source where the car is.

Thanks Donald, shipping the car to Vancouver is going to be tricky and expensive, lovely as the city is :D

Chamois, no, no, no. Drying towel, yes, yes, yes, and/or air blower. My regime is similar to James M-S.
I finish off with Meguirs last touch detail spray. Tried loads of different products, but find this is really good. Can do the car in less than ten minutes, spray on, spread with micro fibre & immediately wipe off with another micro fibre. No residue. So easy, no hard polishing & water just runs off.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back