Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How do you actually buy a private car

Another simple and free check you should do relates to the V5 document.

Do a simple DVLA online vehicle check and you will see the date that the latest V5 was issued. Then check the physical V5 in possession of the vendor and ensure that date tallies.

It has not been unknown for unscrupulous people to take out a "logbook loan" very shortly before selling a car so nothing shows up in HPI etc but you are then buying a car that a loan provider has an interest in!

I would suggest in this case everything may well be legitimate and above board however the golden rule is not to trust anyone where money / cars are concerned no matter how good their bedside manner is.

When I bought my 993 I went to local branch of my bank with ID etc and did the transfer in vendors presence. When I bought my 996 I completed an online faster payment. As others have stated varying times for the funds to land in the vendors account.

Concur with others who suggest setting up the vendor as a payee and transfer £1 in first instance.

You are going about this the right way with PPI and due diligence. Have a look at AA/RAC sites for pro forms private sale document / agreement.

All the best for the process and hope everything goes well and you're soon enjoying the 911 !

If you are planning on doing the bank transfer at the time of seeing the car ie at the customers place consider using your own computer. i travelled to France a couple of years ago to buy an old Mercedes. i logged on to the sellers commuter and Barclays flagged it up as fraud. It took two days to sort it out.

I know that 99% of the time bank transfers are relatively quick, but not always. They can take up to 24hrs. It happened when selling my road bike a few weeks ago. The money transferred from the buyer's bank account but didn't reach mine for about 2 hours. The poor guy was sitting waiting in his car on my driveway, and there's no way of checking how long it will take either. So be prepared for that scenario is all I'd say.

Other than that, Paypal. Worth a thought, because that is always instant. Again, check your limits, because you may find there are limits on your account for single transaction amount (can be £10k, £50k depending on your account)

Always, always, always ensure you have a receipt for the transaction. Signed copy for you and the seller. You will find templates on the web from the likes of AA etc. Even as the buyer, it's a good idea to go along with a couple of copies printed out that you can both sign and date, just in case the seller doesn't provide one or makes any excuses.

Ghostrider78 said:
Always, always, always ensure you have a receipt for the transaction. Signed copy for you and the seller. You will find templates on the web from the likes of AA etc. Even as the buyer, it's a good idea to go along with a couple of copies printed out that you can both sign and date, just in case the seller doesn't provide one or makes any excuses.

:agree:

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/buyers-sellers-contracts

Chap that bought my Cayman whacked the money in, in full, days in advance.

#trustory

The return of Marty Wild said:
Chap that bought my Cayman whacked the money in, in full, days in advance.

#trustory

I had a similar experience when I sold my previous 996C2. The chap paid me a few days in advance, in full.

I was surprised, not sure I could've done it.. I am overly cautious and very suspicious of everyone.. makes buying cars very difficult for me.. I bought my current car from 911Virgin for peace of mind.

When i picked up my 911 recentley i paid in cash, seller was happy as he needed to pay a builder.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashton911
Back