Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

High mileage engines

My C4S is just passing 125k miles. The engine was rebuilt at 110k miles by the previous owner as it dropped a valve seal into cylinder 3. There is posts by the previous owner on here. Rebuild cost was circa £9k and included a new cylinder and piston.
As the am not expecting to have to rebuild it, I am using my pennies to replace all suspension arms. While there are no knocks or creaks, I am hoping to restore some suppleness. :thumb:

Dammit said:
Sundayjumper said:
Dammit said:
I'm having a go.

You spent over £2k fitting that steering wheel ?

I honestly can't work out whether you're so rich that the concept of money is just meaningless to you, or you're a massively reckless idiot.

Far closer to idiot than rich, I would say.

I certainly never intended on it costing that much, the reasons why are in my thread- short version is that the entire column had to be changed, and costs spiralled. Hopefully my experience will spare someone else the surprise that I had, if they search for accounts of fitting a Porsche-MOMO before committing to it.

Dammit, reading many of your posts and the build thread I know you are a bit too thick skinned to be upset by that unnessisary comment , I for one value your input on here and like you in the process of enjoying personalising my car have run into some things that ended up costing more than antisipated it is the nature of enjoying tweaking and upgrading/refreshing our cars especially if you are one of the first to venture into a certain project and its always good to discuss on the forum ,as you said to hopefully help the next guy doing it to avoid some extra costs. Keep up the good work and letting us know what your doing to your car. as a by note I spent over £1000 changing the steering wheel on both my gen1 and gen2 so I am also into 2k on steering wheels :floor: :floor: :thumb:

HIGH MILES

my targa is now showing 103000 and is running sweet brought it at 82 had a few issues sorted at porsche and now do my own maintenance when required plenty of oil and filters and a good run , when it does show signs of being tired enough i will send it to hartech for a freshen and enjoy it when i get it back , i dont do trackdays but i do use it hard , infact the AOS is showing signs of needing replacement now smoke bombed a merc in 3 figures 6grand then nothing love it :thumb:

My Turbo and 3.4 C2 are both at around the 125k mark and running perfectly.

Do any of you chaps with 100k+ engines send your oil off for analysis?

As I recall that's what moved PPBB to rebuild his engine - he saw metal particulates in the oil that indicated that the main bearings were on the way out.

It strikes me as a handy warning to have, given that you can then rebuild before some of the more ghastly scenarios that Baz and Grant have highlighted come to pass.

I'm on 118k, I got my car via my long standing Indy who took it in as a project, he sent engine to hartech who fitted a reconditioned cylinder head, check crank & fitted new bearing, other head checked out ok.
Plus side was they stripped all the old manifold bolts and fitted new ones as part of the work

Interesting that you say that Dammit, I've just ordered a kit from Millers oil after doing my service recently at 104,000m, it works out at £20 a sample and thought it might be a wise route to take as I remembered that's what prompted PPBB to rebuild his leggy motor.
The oil filter was clean as was the magnetic drain plug and it uses no oil between services but for a minor cost I like the idea of monitoring the oil composition for early signs of wear so I can plan for a preemptive rebuild before components fail to keep the costs lower.

131k, no oil used between services, mostly motorway mileage for last 6 years, Martin Brown at Porschetech cuts the filter open and checks for particles every year.

Changing jobs soon and get a 3.0 XF company car but not sure I want to lose my 996 C4S, it has been the best car I've ever owned and why I've had it 6 years. But a free car....

str12 said:
131k, no oil used between services, mostly motorway mileage for last 6 years, Martin Brown at Porschetech cuts the filter open and checks for particles every year.

Changing jobs soon and get a 3.0 XF company car but not sure I want to lose my 996 C4S, it has been the best car I've ever owned and why I've had it 6 years. But a free car....

Free car? Company car? Have you worked out the tax you will be paying on it!?

I'm trying to ditch my company car and get a car allowance. The tax I pay on the car and private fuel allowance is mental! Even doing 35,000 miles a year I will be far better off buying my own.

Interesting thread Maldren, just wanted to add my experience and thoughts.

I've a 2002 996 cab that has just over 107k on the clock and recently suffered a cracked cylinder.

My plan is to get Hartech to rebuild it and I'm likely to go for the 3.9.

I know it's going to cost a lot to do and and right now I haven't got the funds so I'll store the car until I'm able to get the work done.

The car holds a certain sentimental value to me so knowing that I'm able to store her until I can afford to fix her seems worth doing.
Not to mention that being able to spend the time stripping her down and 'restoring' her is going to give me many hours of pleasure (and pain I'm sure), it's going to teach me new skills and it will no doubt build a strong bond between me and the car...sounds a bit sad but I know some of you know what I mean here!

It may just be a car and it may be costing more than most would pay to keep a car on the road but my 996 is more than just a car to me.

135k bi-daily use and in rude order!

I never nurse the engine when its warmed up - gotta keep that vario cam lubed up don't want it seizing :thumb:

When it goes pop (every engine will eventually) I will rebuild myself or break it for more than I paid for it.

I send my oil off to millers every other change (12k) and always cut the filter open.

If I was risk averse I would be driving a new car, not a 20 year old car.

Fastlane said:
That is what agreed value Insurance is for - mine is valued at £25k.

That makes no sense to me. You buy a £15k 911 spend £10k on it and agree an Insurance value of £25k when you could spend £15k on a 911 and do nothing and still agree an Insurance value of £25k ???

Doing the latter would result in having an extra £10k in your pocket should the worst happen and if you did need a £10k engine rebuild at any time you can always get it done later

Winny

Dammit said:
Do any of you chaps with 100k+ engines send your oil off for analysis?

It strikes me as a handy warning to have, given that you can then rebuild before some of the more ghastly scenarios that Baz and Grant have highlighted come to pass.

Yep I do mine every oil change (which is about 4k miles). As well as keeping an eye on the engine I also use it Just out of interest to compare the protection of different oils (accepting its not a 100% reliable indicator)

Winny911 said:
That makes no sense to me. You buy a £15k 911 spend £10k on it and agree an Insurance value of £25k when you could spend £15k on a 911 and do nothing and still agree an Insurance value of £25k ???

Winny

You have to justify the valuation, usually using photographs and/or a club valuation. You can't just insure for any sum you like - that's the agreed bit. Fastlane's car is worth £25k.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bleasedudley
Back