Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help me finish my GT3, please.

Nervy

Silverstone
Hiya,

I've just picked up a little 997 2006 GT3 which I almost love to pieces, but for me to be able to look at it full in the face, it desperately needs nicer wheels. I'm aware this makes me a nob head, but this is not news. I'm aware. Like, very aware.

So, I'm looking for a set of 19" BBs LMs, preferably with gold centres. If anyone has a set they'd be willing to part with, or knows of anyone that would, please don't hesitate to yell GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY in my general direction, please.

I'm on 077601 78040 if anyone has any thoughts. On this, obviously. I require no further input, opinion or advice on my stupidity. Or my haircut. Or my general musk.

Thanks in advance,
Nervy.

You are forgiven. BBS LM's/E88's are some of the very few wheels worthy of an upgrade on a GT3.

Good luck on your hunt.

Thank you SB. I appreciate your understanding at this difficult time.

Ps don't suppose you have any BBS LMs, do you?

Sadly not, keep an eye on eBay and make sure you include Germany in your searches, sets often come up :)

Don't overpay, I reckon a set in correct fitment is worth between £2k-2.5k used (via my years of searching and never buying), some sellers take the mick asking silly prices.

Oh and make sure they are correct fitment for the GT3!

Thank you buddy. That's kind. There's two sellers in Germany on eBay who both say in stock but upon contact they're both quoting 4-6 months of waiting. That's for 4k. All the uk places are quoting the same but for more money.

The correct fitment for my car should be 8.5 and 12j, but it looks like 8.5 and 11j is the closest I can get. My spread sheet calcs suggest it'll be ok, but if you have any real world experience I'd love to know chum.

Nervy said:
Thank you buddy. That's kind. There's two sellers in Germany on eBay who both say in stock but upon contact they're both quoting 4-6 months of waiting. That's for 4k. All the uk places are quoting the same but for more money.

The correct fitment for my car should be 8.5 and 12j, but it looks like 8.5 and 11j is the closest I can get. My spread sheet calcs suggest it'll be ok, but if you have any real world experience I'd love to know chum.

Hmmm maybe prices have bounced a bit since I last looked.

You could get away with 11J running a lower offset wheel or spacers. With LM's you can reverse mount the faces to grant a lower offset, I did it many moons ago on a set I split/refurbed myself.

Left is front faced, right is rear faced. :

Attachments

• img_6367s_151.png
    img_6367s_151.png
    2 MB · Views: 558
That's so brilliant. Thank you. I only wish I understood any of it.

What? It's tall I can do. Tall. Not smart.

Nervy said:
That's so brilliant. Thank you. I only wish I understood any of it.

What? It's tall I can do. Tall. Not smart.

Offsets? It's not that difficult when you get to grips with it.

Rather than me trying to explain watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZjig7VOSqQ

The standard rear rim on a 997 GT3 is 12J with an offset of +68 (I believe). So the mounting point is 68mm forward from the centre line (which in this case would by 6"). If you were to go for a lower offset on an 11" rim the wheel will sit just as far out in the arch as a 12J with a more positive offset.

By mounting the centre of a BBS rim to the back of the barrel lip you are essentially shifting the offset back (by the depth of the lip) showing more dish and pushing the wheel out when it sits on the car.

Too high an offset you will find a wheel tucks into the arch too much and could even hit the inner arch area, too low and it will stick out beyond the arch and cause rubbing issues

You'll need to do some exact calculations to work out what will fit. BBS LM's come in lots of different offsets beyond just width, diameter and PCD. 997 GT3's are narrow body, so widebody porsches like the 997 Turbo will have a much lower offset wheel but not necessarily a wider wheel.

Perhaps post up a set or PM me before you purchase and I'll do my best to help calculate how it will fit compared to stock.

Hope that helps 8)

That's a genuinely excellent description. Thank you. I finally feel like I get it 🤓

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back