Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Heater Matrix air con pipe in way

DonkUK

Hi all. I have searched to no avail. I am swapping a leaky heater matrix for a new one but cannot pull it past the thick OS to NS air con pipe. There is a few mm movement in the air con pipe but not anywhere near enough to get the matrix flow and return pipes past. Unless I am being dumb, Any suggestions please other than disconnecting the air con pipe which is a last resort for me really.

Attachments

• 159063c3_bcbf_4941_8fdd_62e63873eda3_189.jpeg
    159063c3_bcbf_4941_8fdd_62e63873eda3_189.jpeg
    816.5 KB · Views: 1,171
The aircon pipe pulls out the way. It's very tight but it is doable. Make sure the pipe isn't fixed anywhere to anything (with a cable tie or similar). I didn't think I'd be able to get mine out but adfter a bit of pulling and persiverance I manged it.

Thanks Alex, it's good to know it can be done without disconnecting the AC pipe! Will check for ties etc again as well.

Dave

I've done many of these and i don't ever remember the a/c pipe being an issue .. its possible yours has been bent back a bit and is more obstructive :dont know:

Instructions below which are for a 997 .. same system as the 996 ones just ignore this pipe .

When you goto fit the new foam cover .. it has a brown paper sealing over it which you remove to fit it .. you need to protect the butil on it .. cut the cover around the outside .. cut around the inside to leave a section just protecting the butil ..

Cut top and bottom so it's in 2 halves but still attached .. fit the foam cover then carefully remove the paper seal each side and stick down .

If you remove this first and try and fit the foam cover .. it will end badly i expect lol .

You will also need to clean all the old butil and debris off before you fit the new panel .. if it doesn't seal you Will get water leaks in the car .

Attachments

• p2_1_125.jpg
    p2_1_125.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 1,137
  • p1_1_529.jpg
    p1_1_529.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 1,137
There's been a few threads on here in the past with the same issue.

Here's a photo of mine with the matrix removed and the aircon pipe passing over where it lives:

uAV4sTL.jpg

Thank you for the tips Mr Demort, very handy!

Also Alex I will have another go in the morning, your pipe looks in the same place as mine.

When I changed mine, I had to disconnect the black clip holding the pipe in place.
You can see it to the right in the photo Alex posted.

Yes removing the 'hiding in plain sight clip that I missed' doh, gave me a bit of wiggle room. That and being a bit more strongarm with the pipe sorted it in the end :)

Thanks for the help.

Dave from Derpville

Does the seal for the matrix come away ok without ripping?

Does anyone have a part number for RHD cars in case?

Many thanks.

Mine came away cleanly using a plastic trim removal tool, taking time and using the tool to 'cut' through the sealant a bit at a time. Once cleaned up I actually reused it as it was in fine condition. I used some Butyl rope to reseal.

I believe the part number for the foam seal is 99657226303 - gasket.

Dave

Mine was glued down fairly well bit didn't tear removing it, just need to take it easy. Hard bit is finding a glue the will re-seal it. Not much wants to adhere to the foam.

Personally i would just replace the foam cover .. Part number as per DonkUK post above .

The seal on it is butil which is a windscreen bonding tape if you wanted to try it ..

Considering if it doesn't seal you will have very wet carpets then for me it's not worth the chance .

deMort said:
Considering if it doesn't seal you will have very wet carpets then for me it's not worth the chance .

To be fair if I had to do the job again, this is probably the way to go.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back