Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlight issue - advice appreciated

Chrispy996.2

Morning all - looking for a bit of advice.

i have functioning side lights and fogs lights but no dipped beam. i can flash my full beam but nothing happens when i try to permanently engage them.

i bought a new headlamp switch which i fitted this morning but this did not resolve the issue. That cost £70 (not official Porsche but bought the 'other brand' from Design911) so a bit miffed it didn't work to!

Before i start working my way through the parts catalogue does anyone have any educated guesses as to what else it might be!?

Cheers

What typre lights are they? Litronic, etc.

They are the standard lights for a 996.2, so halogen i think!

I take it you've checked all your top row (Row A) of fuses and they're fine. After that I think it could be your ignition switch that may be playing up. :dont know:

Or you light switch is faulty and so is your new one. You really need a multimeter to check stuff.

Hi

In addition to the above, make sure the plugs that actually slide into the headlights themselves are correctly positioned and seating properly, although problems are usually just on one light at a time when its the headlight plugs.

Berni

Thanks all for your help - really helpful. Fuses were all fine but i poped back to the car to double check and and it was working fine. Wondering if its the ignition switch with an intermittent fault

Alternatively....

i may have been a bit of a numpty in thinking i hadn't fixed it with the new headlight switch as i can't remember if i tried the dipped beams (post new headlight switch install) with the keys in the ignition and turned to 'on' (but not started) or whether i just tried it without the keys in.

In any event the dipped beam now work (fixed permanently or just for now? TBC) when the keys are in and turned to 'on' but not when the keys are in - i can't recall if that is normal or not!!!

lets see. thanks again

Only parking lights will light without ignition on, so this behavior is as expected in this car

On a VAG car of the era this would most likely be the dip/main stalk. They switch the full dip beam current and burn out. Don't think that's the case on the 996 but if it does recur it might be worth checking. Even if the stalk switches a relay current it could still fail.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back