Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox question please ?

Tappy

Silverstone
Hi guys , my gearbox feels great but when I leave it in 4th for a minute or two I have to it out as though it's dragging against a spring , no crunch or anything, is this linkages or clutch does anyone know ?

Is there much free play in the gearstick when in any gear or neutral? (I.e. how much can you move the shifter before there is resistance?). There are 2 nylon bushes that wear out over time on the gear link tube and bottom of the shifter. There is also a rubber buffer in the gear rod that can perish.

New nylon bushes (£40 ish) and a goldenrod (£300 ish I think) may be your answer if there is significant free play. There are also Fister Design kits available that remove the nylon bushes in favour of rose joints but this is quite expensive.

Could also be your clutch master or slave not disengaging it enough, worth bleeding this first, then replacing both if issue persists, I went for an MPL slave (£200 ish I think) and Porsche master.

Check free play and bleed the system would be my first steps.

Really appreciate your advice , I'll drive it again when weather better and try to be more succinct with my description!

If a gear is reluctant to disengage it can sometimes be caused by the friction plate sticking on the splines and still delivering engine torque to the transmission. The gearbox is designed such that the gears will stay engaged while there's torque acting on them.

You could test this by revving the engine after you've pressed the clutch and seeing if this makes the gear easier to de-select. The rev helps the friction plate to move on the gearbox's splined shaft and disengage the drive.

I had exactly this issue on my '94 993. A clean-up of the splines and lubrication sorted it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back