Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front PASM shock replacement plus lowering

ChrisS80

Monza
Some advice/experience/wisdom required please:
My front PASM shocks are corroded at the tops so need replacing. I also want to lower it, question is what's the best approach to this without breaking the bank.
Options I have so far:
Bilstein B4 replacements on front and Eibach lowering springs all round
H&R/ DesignTek/ KW variant 1 coilovers with PASM blanking modules
Bilstein B18 Damptronic all round £2.2k

Given that PASM seems to be a sought after option I'm not convinced I should go with the electronic blanking modules with a cheaper coilover option but I could be convinced...

Any alternatives I should consider?

If you are changing dampers I would want the same on all corners.

Bilstein B8's should be a little shorter / designed for the shorter lowering springs. I think you can get them with damptronic too.

I've a set of DT coilovers in the for sale section if of interest.

Going coilovers has one advantage in that you completely replace the std setup so pull them out, fit the coilovers and the std units are sitting to be refitted for resale. If the current ones are just a little corroded at the top then not sure that's a sign to replace immediately. They are likely still fine.

Yellow said:
If you are changing dampers I would want the same on all corners.

Bilstein B8's should be a little shorter / designed for the shorter lowering springs. I think you can get them with damptronic too.

I'm the same really in wanting matched dampers. It's the extra expense v the view if the fronts are on their way out the rears are probably not far behind while all the time knowing I should just do it properly and do the whole lot.
Thanks re the B8's

paul_mck said:
I've a set of DT coilovers in the for sale section if of interest.

Going coilovers has one advantage in that you completely replace the std setup so pull them out, fit the coilovers and the std units are sitting to be refitted for resale. If the current ones are just a little corroded at the top then not sure that's a sign to replace immediately. They are likely still fine.

Thanks Paul, I have almost messaged you a couple of times about your DT's but as I'm not sure about junking the PASM yet I didnt want to waste your time

A pic of my current shocks are in the attachment (hopefully its visible) what do you think on timeline for changing them?
[/img]

Attachments

• img_20210402_wa0058_452.jpg
    img_20210402_wa0058_452.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 1,898
I lowered my Gen 1 last year and took all my shocks off and refreshed them with new bump stops and gaitors. The shocks themselves looked exactly the same as yours and were fine....
They even went through a set up at Centre Gravity who were more than happy with them.

Thanks Milo, that's really useful. If it's good enough for CG then it's good enough for me!
Reading around it sems to be fairly common for them to corrode at the tops

Give them a liberal coating in ACF-50 which will neutralise the rust and protect them.

badbadtz said:
Give them a liberal coating in ACF-50 which will neutralise the rust and protect them.

Good tip, thanks. I have seen this stuff recommended elsewhere as good to spray on anything underneath that doesnt get hot

ChrisS80 said:
badbadtz said:

Good tip, thanks. I have seen this stuff recommended elsewhere as good to spray on anything underneath that doesnt get hot

I'm really impressed with this stuff ...I left a tool out in the rain which turned rusty. Sprayed it with this stuff and a few days later it was as good as new.

You can even coat the exhaust system but let it dry a few days before using. It might smoke a little on start up but it will neutralise any existing rust and protect it

I went with B4s and Eibachs, fitted and set up by CG. I already had the DSC PASM controller.

Ride for road use has been great.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back