Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front End Respray - Which Parts to replace?

cambjones

Barcelona
I'm getting a front end respray and whilst 'they're in there' I thought it prudent to replace old/rusted parts for new shiny ones.

There are a bunch of rusted screws and other stuff I need to refresh but also I noticed my oil cooler fan cowling might need replacement (See below)

Note the bottom corner is cracked where the screw goes through and also the padding/foam stuff is sticking out...

Is this something I should replace? I can't seem to find the part number for the padding/foam
http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/455128333

The keen eyes amongst you will also notice one of the micro nuts missing (Hint, the top one)

Also any other parts people recommend refreshing?

I've got a bit of a list. I've priced parts from Total911 (Not tried the OPC yet) and a place I found in the US as I'm heading over there a couple of times before I get it done. Funny how some things are cheaper here and some things cheaper in the US.

Here is list of what I'm considering replacing in case this is a future help for someone else..

Is there anything else I should think about replacing, 'whilst I'm in there'?

Misc Parts
993 993.628.077.01 01C/.00 01C ($41.26): Windscreen Washer Nozel Left & Right £28.80 each (£57.60) http://goo.gl/Kw1SLK
993.505.521.01/2.01 ($100): 993 Front Bumper Undertray Left & Right £79.20 each (£158.40) http://goo.gl/qyzYDq
993 Standard Body Stone Guard Left & Right OEM £33.60 (£67.20) http://goo.gl/Ebk4DR
993.505.551.00 ($35) : 993 Front Bumper Grill £26.40 http://goo.gl/UOWxHC

Bonnet Badge
993.559.211.00 ($75.96) or 996.559.21.101 (£82.50): Hood crest Porsche Badge
901.559.215.20 ($8.96) : Hood crest gasket £4.40
999.591.423.03 ($2.96) : Speed nut for hood £0.90

Front Bumper Under-tray Supports (Left & Right)
993.505.793.00/4.00 ($20) Support/R
999.591.699.02 Speed nut 4.8mm, superseded to 99959169901 ($1.96)

Oil Cooler
993.624.041.00: ($31.60) Air-guide cowl
900.187.132.02: Screw b 3.5x13 (Nuts)
Padding/Foam stuff??? 964.207.223.01 ($30.00): Air baffle??

Seals (Wing & Bonnet) - Still have to work out the part number
993.505.543.00/4.00 ($48.96): 993 Wing to Front Bumper Seal Left/Right £26.40 each (£52/80) http://goo.gl/L7iaV0

Screws
900.187.103.02 Screw b4.8x16

Hi

With the screws and clips, it is worth dunking or spraying them with a rust inhibitor before fitting. I put mine in a small container and sprayed them with Valvoline Tectyl before fitting. You will pat yourself on the back further down the line when it comes to removing them.

All the best

Berni

Definitely price with your friendly OPC. In my experience they are often cheaper on little bits and bobs. And their customer service is way better as they are generally willing to take back things if they aren't right.

Make sure you get the correct period bonnet badge as the spotters will out you if you have a 996 one fitted :grin:

Check your ballast resistor(s) whilst you're in there and change if needed.

Best of luck with the PU to bonnet/wings seal. It is a pig to get sitting correctly. Nearly every 993 I saw that had had the front PU removed caused the rubber to drop back into the recess and not sit proud :what:

There are a couple of resistors which are otherwise pretty well inaccessible. Both had failed on mine. I think one is oil cooler blower (?) and the other was something to do with the ac. Had them replaced when I had my pu re-sprayed. May be worth putting a hammer on and checking if yours are still working or may just be worth changing while you're down there.

Thanks all, sound advice.

Berni: good idea, will do. I think I have some copper seal(?) that I've done the rear PU bolts with.

Mohitos: I've found OPC cheaper for some parts before also so I'll def check them out.

Zingari: I was only able to find the correct 993 badge in the US. Will check OPC also for that as they must have them. Otherwise will get from US. I think my base might be ok and I just need to replace the rubber gasket.

I'll also check the ballast resistors. Not sure how to do that but I'll work it out. As for the PU seals I'll get Ty who's doing the respray to do it for me. I think he has a load of experience now.

Millimboy: I'll research my manuals to find what other resistors are there and probably just replace regardless.

Blindspot: Yep planning on the washer delete. Weight saving :lol: actually I just like the clean look. Although have you had any issues with passing MOTs as I thought you had to have washers if you have HIDs (assuming you have HIDs)

I'm racking up a small bill of parts, but reassuring to know it will all be refreshed.

HIDS are pseudo xenon so are in a 'grey' area according to construction and use regulations. Xenon require a washer AND self levelling system to comply with regs.

If you apply the law in the strictest sense HID are illegal and could fail an MOT but unless you visit a station where the 'examiner' wears a white coat ( I did encounter one of those many years ago :x ) you should be OK. I think it helps if the Indy having done the service whips it to the testers :whistle:

Hi Cameron.

It's been discussed on here many times, but I have a friendly MOT inspector and his opinion is that: If you have HIDs fitted. and the car has headlamp washers they must work.
Logic so dictates that if you have HID's and NO washers or self levelling system fitted it's irrelevant.
My car's headlamp washers never worked so going by the new regs I had to get them fixed, which cost me the price of a new pump!

Quote from the VOSA MOT testers guide:

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge
(HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted
with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work;
however, it is accepted that it may not be possible
to readily determine the functioning of self levelling
systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt
must be given.

The most important words are in bold.

ATB
Steve

HIDs and washer delete just passed MOT but then it was with a sympathetic garage via 9m and the handbrake was poor.
There are some rubber bonded mounts which hold the radiator mine were goosed.

I like the In such cases, the benefit of the doubt
must be given

Covers it in my book :thumb:

My MOT tester was not in the least interested in headlight washers or catalysts. He was very much considering tyres, brakes and important stuff like that.

I fitted a new fan cowling and fixings recently.

See here for info click

My OPC drew a blank on the foam tape originally sandwiched between the cowling and rad. I fitted without this and it's neater with no issues.

My AC condenser had perished, fine to look at but disintegrated when pressure applied to the fins.

The bracket for the horn was also totally corroded and the usual replacement of the headlight guides.

Thanks Dom for the reference to your replacement of the fan cowl and also that the foam tape stuff not really needed.

I'll have to take the other side off and have a look at general brackets (horn), rubber bonded mounts which hold the radiator.

As for the washer delete... I think I'll take the risk and delete them.. seems like plausible reasoning for avoiding an MOT fail.

Cheers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back