Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First 911

Maxie said:
Not sure Freddie.....I think it's a case of contacting your local OPC and enquiring directly. I don't think it's a complex swap but the wiring that controls the oil feed to the dampers (in a PASM system) would have to be disconnected of course. Plus, what happens to the oil reservoir? Really don't know enough about it tbh.

~ Maxie

Ok, thanks for your thoughts Maxie. Does sound a bit complicated for the actual gain :D

Maxie

Mine has PASM but I didnt think that pressing the button lowers the car but that it stiffens it up and my it is bumpy when switched on - i thought the car was 20 mm lower than a c2 as standard???

can anyone confirm - apologies in advance for being so uninformed .. :dont know:

stokie1 said:
Maxie

Mine has PASM but I didnt think that pressing the button lowers the car but that it stiffens it up and my it is bumpy when switched on - i thought the car was 20 mm lower than a c2 as standard???

can anyone confirm - apologies in advance for being so uninformed .. :dont know:

Hi Stokie, if your car is an S model, then the standard ride height is 10mm lower than the C2/C4 model. Pressing the PASM button doesn't lower the car (as you correctly mention) but it actuates the oil reservoirs to fill up the dampers at each corner to make the ride harder. Pressing the PASM button again sends the oil back to the reservoir thus making the damper 'soft'.

S model cars also had the option of Sports Suspension which makes do without the PASM function altogether. This option includes a set of revised springs and dampers where the combination makes the car sit another 10mm lower than the S model (hence 20mm lower than a C2/C4).

~ Maxie

Re Children in the back. You can get a rear facing Maxi Cosi Cabrio in the back for 0-9kg months then forward facing only from 9kg up.
With the Maxi Cosi Cabrio rear facing space in the front seat is limited, as long as your wife, partner or gay lover is below 5"8 ish then you will be okay. My wife is 5"5 and she got fed up on journies longer than 1/2 an hour.
When we got to 1 yr we put a forward facing seat in and the front seat room improved but it still made my wife feel a little clostraphobic, it also became a bind getting him in and out, several times I hit his head on the roof lining.
The thing that concerned me the most was how close his head was to the rear side window.
The long and short of it is that we hardly used the Porsche so decided to sell. I have a C63 amg on order with performance pack plus and as much as I loved the C4S a baby car it aint! It can be done but you have to have a partner who is willing to compromise. It didnt help that my wife has an X5 as there was no real incentive to travel in cramped conditions.

to be honest : bmw are robbing bastar**. I had many over the years, and changed up almost every year. Had the 330cd, m3 e46, m3 csl, m6. The problem is that the service from BMW is so cr**. I went to Porsche and the service i got from Guildford was amazing. They didn't even try selling me a car. Since i've had it, the aftersales is great.
I'm happy to have less technology, since as far as i'm concerned the more technology you have the more goes wrong....i mean you tell me a a BMW m3 or m6 owner who hasn't seen the some error come up on the dash and panic, park up, then re start and its gone again, or the run flat sign blazing up on the sat nav screen and really its just an error that randomly happened.

I went and got myself a c2s, and trust me it is in a world of its own. I mean when you drive it, its just you and the road, no random electronic things messing up. So far i haven't been in for any faults that bother me as yet. Mine is kept garaged and comes out on the weekend, keeps me liking it, and also save me a bit as i don't feel like changing it - and thats after 1yr ownership.
Got a kid on the way, so will be very interested in looking into these child seats for the porsche: personally will prob just use the wifes car!!

Bottom line, just get yourself one.
Also that one you've seen, a bit pricey for my liking....better off getting from Porsche for that kind of money, as you'll get the 2yr warranty with it, and there are a few last time i looked. Mine is a 05 seal grey c2s 30k on the clock, new engine fitted 2k ago, with 14mths OPC waranty left on it, and i'm guessing i'd prob only get 35k at a push, and thats even with my new tyres, new brake discs and pads (fitted yesterady!!).

Maxie said:
stokie1 said:
Maxie

Hi Stokie, if your car is an S model, then the standard ride height is 10mm lower than the C2/C4 model. Pressing the PASM button doesn't lower the car (as you correctly mention) but it actuates the oil reservoirs to fill up the dampers at each corner to make the ride harder. Pressing the PASM button again sends the oil back to the reservoir thus making the damper 'soft'.

S model cars also had the option of Sports Suspension which makes do without the PASM function altogether. This option includes a set of revised springs and dampers where the combination makes the car sit another 10mm lower than the S model (hence 20mm lower than a C2/C4).

~ Maxie

Thanks for clearing this up Maxie I think that makes a big difference with this car most of my local roads are very rough so the sports suspension option over PASM might just be too much. I'll have to drive both I guess before I can make the decision :thumb:

I have a 2005 c2s with the sport suspension, it is firm but not overally so and you also get a limited slip rear diff as part of the package!

With regards to the rear space I regularly take home two fully grown adults from work, they whinge a bit but they can squeeze in the back for short journeys.

SNOW - Ok on the flat but forget going up any gradients even mild one's in bad snow, I had to get a tow of a TD5 last year to get home, so the car sat on the drive for 2 weeks. 30 profile tyres and rear wheel drive are not ideal in artic conditions.

Regarding the RMS it will be covered by the car's warranty, get the car to an OPC for a 111 point check which you'll need to re-warranty the car if you so wish if it needs looking at they will tell you.

All the best with your purchase (I had a MK5 R32 previously and tried M3's C63's etc. before my purcahse, great as they all are the 911 is just something special)

The sports package turns the engine and suspension into something rather special on the road(not just on track) and makes the car even more rewarding to drive on fast a-roads....and that's why we like our Porsche's right?

Experiencing it on my 997 C4S means I would NEVER buy another 997 without the sports package!

Carlouk said:
I have a 2005 c2s with the sport suspension, it is firm but not overally so and you also get a limited slip rear diff as part of the package!

With regards to the rear space I regularly take home two fully grown adults from work, they whinge a bit but they can squeeze in the back for short journeys.

SNOW - Ok on the flat but forget going up any gradients even mild one's in bad snow, I had to get a tow of a TD5 last year to get home, so the car sat on the drive for 2 weeks. 30 profile tyres and rear wheel drive are not ideal in artic conditions.

Regarding the RMS it will be covered by the car's warranty, get the car to an OPC for a 111 point check which you'll need to re-warranty the car if you so wish if it needs looking at they will tell you.

All the best with your purchase (I had a MK5 R32 previously and tried M3's C63's etc. before my purcahse, great as they all are the 911 is just something special)

Oh thanks for that, so you dont get a limited slip diff as standard on a 997C2S?? Bit surprising :eek:
The snow thing isnt a massive thing it'd just be nice to be able to get out of my lane when it has 1/8inch of snow on it and the roads are perfectly clear :grin:
What are the road like near you I live near Burnley and fun roads around here are pretty rough and pot holly. Would you say your 911 with sports sus is any harder than the M3 you tried?

cheers

I live in Preston so we have slightly better roads than you ha! Wouldn't say it was much than an M3, you notice it more when you hit a speed bump or pot hole hard on smooth surfaces the car just feels firm, I find it hard to compare an M3 to a 911 as they are quite different machines, my bro has a C63 and that's definitley a bit softer.

With regard to lsd I'm sure it only comes with the sports suspension (i.e. on cars without pasm)

Hi

No LSD on some sports oriented cars is a bit of an omission, but on a 911 there is a lot of traction at the rear and I have not heard of anyone who uses them on the road commenting that the car needs one.

As an aside I also think you will be absolutely loving the 997. Different class from a BM.

Berni

Go for it - you will not be disappointed. I have driven 997's and M3's and the difference is clear.

BRS said:
I just found porscheinspectionsdotcom Peter Morgans (£345 std fee) place and after reading his bit on the 997 I guess arctic silver isnt a desirable colour for future re-sale.
Odd... Silver may not be the most exciting colour choice but it's probably a safer bet for resale than most...

thanks Maxi for clearing up the suspension point

I like my sporty cars but with pasm pressed the car is very stiff on local, rough - ish roads

so if the sports suspension has this all the time i'm not sure i could live with it

personal preferences of course but if you have bumpy roads i would recommend one with pasm :thumbs:

stokie1 said:
I like my sporty cars but with pasm pressed the car is very stiff on local, rough - ish roads

so if the sports suspension has this all the time i'm not sure i could live with it

personal preferences of course but if you have bumpy roads i would recommend one with pasm :thumbs:

I echo your points completely!

As for Wizard's remark about his C4S having the sports suspension, I think it all depends on what you're used to. If you have the good fortune to also have a car such as a GT2 (which Wizard does), then you're going to be used to the ride of that sort of car. Likewise a GT3 driver may find the drive of a C2 or C2S just a bit too soft and wallowy.

For me, I find the PASM is a treat on motorways as it reduces the bobbing sensation somewhat of the body on its chassis. For local roads and town driving, PASM is a bit too hard.

~ Maxie

Is the RMS a worry on a 997 of this age my2006 20kmiles? Should it have been done as a matter of course at the major OPC 18k service?

The owner seems to be saying RMS was a 996 prob not 997?

Thanks

Sam

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back