Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First 911 - Early 2004 3.6 Gen 1

Lovely work done on this. Great to see it so well looked after.

I can't find mention of the fact it was an awesome splitter. Do you know anything about it? Looks like a turbo one.

Thank you Sean, it is indeed a genuine Turbo splitter, modified to fit by the previous owner Mark. Unfortunately it's taken a bit of a pounding and the guy that fitted and painted it clearly used a fair bit of filler on it after it was cut and plastic welded, buy this has now cracked so I'm deciding whether to remove it completely or maybe just refinish it. I've yet to fit a set of Eibach springs to the car so the chances are it will end up getting even more battered if the car is another inch lower :lol: another option is the 991 splitters which are fairly cheap to buy and so could be replaced if damaged. This one has been bonded to the bumper unfortunately

Previous owner here. Hi. Glad you liked the splitter Sean B - it is a work of beauty and I think it really makes a big difference aesthetically to the impression of the whole car.

The splitter was fitted quite nicely previously, but when I had an intermittent PCM error (Hertsdriver, the car has a replacement PCM as i am sure you know) OPC said to me "Next time you see the error. Stop the car get it recovered to us and that way the error wont get time to clear down and we can start to diagnose the issue".

So I did. The Porsche assistance flat bed damaged the splitter whilst loading and it had to be repaired. Sorry Hertsdriver.

If you are removing the splitter, bear in mind that the bumper has had lug holes cut into the existing PU bumper to enable it to be fitted. So there will be additional paint and filling work to get the PU back to standard. Last time I looked second hand standard PU bumpers were about £100 from a second hand dealer. It might be easier than repairing the old one.

Just wanted to let you know.
Mark

Thanks Mark, hope you are keeping well :thumb:

Forgot that I had changed out the soft standard engine mounts for a set of the 993/964RS ones, these are excellent value compared to other more solid aftermarket kit.

The mounts are patter parts made by URO, and come as part of a kit sold by type911 for a very reasonable £125 which includes 2 mounts, and all the hardware needed to fit.

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de...ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/9792

URO don't have the greatest reputation from what I have read online so it will be interesting to see how they hold up (I can always switch back), I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, and to see if the claimed increase in the feel of the car was worth the also purported increase in noise and vibration transmitted by the more solid mounts to the car (NVH).

Fitting is easy, takes an hour max, and on initial start up there was a noticeable increase in vibration, but after 100 miles or so that has stopped.

I can confirm that the car does feel 'taughter', the gear change in particular is much improved in feel, and the rear end feels more 'alive', which is quite fun in the current slippery conditions :floor:
for £125 and an hour to fit them its a no brainer as far as I can see :thumb:

Attachments

• img_8893_178.jpg
    img_8893_178.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 2,097
  • img_8892_206.jpg
    img_8892_206.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 2,096
Just gone though this thread from start to finish and it's been a great read!
Seriously impressed with all the jobs you have done yourself, it's inspired me to get the old toolkit out when the time comes and I finally find the right car

That broken lower arm doesnt look too clever, what's the story with that?

Keep up the good work!

What a great thread really enjoyed reading that, I've done a few things myself that you have as well

Can I ask how the engine mounts are doing ?
And how much fettling the quick shift took ?

Keep up the good work

So sadly my 997 journey has come to an end. I crashed the car, and have finally settled the Insurance claim (please people, learn from my mistake - make sure you pay a bit extra and get an agreed valuation policy.....)

I bought the salvage back from the Insurance company and a fellow forum member has bought it and will repair the car :thumb: I will leave it up to him to decide if he starts his own thread etc.

Ive decided that in all honesty a 997 isnt really that family friendly, especially when your 10 year old daughter is already over 5ft tall and shows no signs of stopping... so I have given in and become sensible, well sort of....

Thank you to everyone that contributed to my ownership journey, especially those that gave me advice and feedback.
I will still keep my membership, and will check in from time to time. I plan to go back to a 911 once the kids have learnt to drive (which is 10 years) so this is not a goodbye but a 'see you later' :floor:

Here's my new sensible family car

Attachments

• img_0031_179.jpg
    img_0031_179.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,001
Sorry to hear about the smash and I will miss your regular contributions to this thread, but glad to see your going to keep checking in here and contributing as the Audi forums wont be as much fun lol. :thumb: :thumb:

Bad luck on the crash and hope the Insurance co didn't leave you too out of pocket.
RS4 looks well, should be a fun replacement. All the best with it

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back