Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Failure Indicator w/ Oil Can (Ok to drive?/Really Nervous)

As I'm sure this will come up for countless people in the future.

Just a 2 day update. Looks like the failure indicator was just that one time. As suggested I just topped up a bit of oil and havent had any issues since. Also my oil dipstick seems to match the onboard sensor exactly which is great news.

Thanks to everyone on the forums here for jumping in so quickly to help out.

infrasilver said:
A failure indicator issue is the sender failing so it may re-appear as it's not related to oil content.

Yes for sure. Sorry I just put both thoughts into one paragraph.

So looks like the failure indicator is happening quite ofter. During a drive home yesterday when I started going fast at highway speeds the oil indicator dropped to 0, but when driving slow it worked correctly. Went up and down about 15 times during my long drive home in rush hour.

Was mentioned above that the sensor is an easy change, does anyone have the part number for it?

edit: As a note I've had no issues with my oil level since I topped it up as I mentioned above. It is time for an oil change now though as I've done close to 5000 miles since the last Minor at porsche maybe 6 months ago. Wondering if I should do a major as I dont know when that was done last, or just go to an indie and get a simple oil change?

Not sure i'll get to change the sensor before my next 300 mile work trip heading up to Nottingham. Will this be a problem?

Also is this the correct part number: 996.606.203.02 (assuming its superseeded 996.606.203.00)

infrasilver said:
That is the correct part number and in reality it wont matter if you don't do it straight away but as it fails more and more eventually I may give up all together.

Thanks I'm going for an oil change on Tuesday so was just hoping its alright until then.

Assuming if it fails altogether the oil light on the cluster will turn on....what confuses me is how the sensors all seem to fail only in regards to the level reading on the dash, but not to the point where the oil light turns on. How can this part "half fail" ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back