Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Evo Tyre Test

medicus said:
i wont have anything other than P zero on my cars, just a preference.

Funny that, I've had Pzeros on one & P7000s on another, & hated them both times!

I always rate my tyres on how they perform in the wet, & they were scary for me.

I had contes on the pork before & they weren't great either. Switched to michelins now & like them so far, even in the wet, they feel secure & if they let go, it's progressive & manageable.

Bit of a duff test really

The pilot sport 3 is well known for being a poor sports tyre and the super sport is miles ahead.

Contis are good tyres, wear well but they do go off when pressing on.

Super sports all the way but the N rating thing needs sorting.

There are some good tyres in that list but Pirelli at no.3?

This test has very little relevance to tyre performance on a 911.

Infrasilver: I've never seen ContiSport 4's....are you sure?

"Uniroyal Tyres, which is part of the Continental AG Group, had little success with its 'Rallye 440"³ tyre in the Far East and when they looked at it a little harder they found that '4"³ was considered an unlucky number within many cultures in this part of the world.

Continental Tyres say they learnt a lesson from this and that's why the Sport Contact jumped from Sport Contact 3 to Sport Contact 5."

Here's this weeks Pirelli finds:

Never seen a tyre delaminate.

Great wear on a 997 Turbo front. Look at inner edge and middle; both worn leaving a nice stepped profile with high points.

Wow. That looks bad!

It's strange with the P-Zero. They have a generally poor perception on here, or being kind, love it / hate it. I didn't like them on my Boxster many years back either. The strange thing is that I've noticed some very good test results in various magazines and websites for the Pzero in the last couple of years. Could this be because the n-rated compound is a bit lacking but Pirelli have the freedom on their normal compound to play around and improve it over the years?
:?:

I suspect many less fashionable tyres would score just as well which is why I take note of the Euro ratings. Imo Pirelli are fine when new but dreadful once they have seen some time on the car.

Whytar said:
I think the fact that the Vredestein came out above the Michelin says a lot for the validity of this test.
Not sure there will be an army of people rushing out to replace their PS's with them...

I can't let that go - I have Sessantas on the 911 and they have been brilliant in all conditions.

I currently have Vortis on the 3.0R Spec.B, which had proper P-zeros before that.

Very similar ability in all conditions, but the Vortis are wearing better and corner better, especially in the dry (isn't that when most Porsche owners go out, in the dry?) - certainly subjective 'feel' is better.

I'm sure many many people turn their noses up at Vredestein - shame really, but I'm sure it keeps the costs down for those of us that choose them :grin:

Disappointed Avon are not on that list :dont know:

Zingari said:
Disappointed Avon are not on that list :dont know:

Me too. Had a number of Avon tyres over the years, they've always been good and cheap.

My indy told be to go for Mich PS2s, in his experience they wear better than others. So I have. Never had them before, always been a PZero man...

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back